Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 17, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds glib to say go and remember the good times, it's not always that easy... I can empathise a little. We are going on our first once in a lifetime trip, only possible because my mum died last year and we had a little bit of money passed on. I try to get all excited and plan, then I remember why I can go and it feels wrong and selfish. Try and imagine your husband and what he would say x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Just wanted to say whatever you decide I wish you and your children the very best. Such a hard thing to do but the firsts of everything are always the hardest and sometimes the thought of them or the anticipation of worrying about the firsts can be worse than the reality if it. Hope you manage to make some new memories while treasuring the past.
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

No experience of this to offer, but by the way you talk so lovingly, I'm sure he'd tell you off for not enjoying yourselves. It's not going to be easy, but you will pull through with his and each others help.
Old 16 Feb 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rebeccarobbins
slightly serious Dibber

rebeccarobbins's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mazascouser View Post
My husband passed away in May 2013. Dd was aged 14 she and I went to Disney in August 2013 to celebrate his life. Steve loved Florida it was always his favourite holiday. When we went dd thought it would be a good idea to buy a Mickey balloon and write a little note to attach to it, and at the end of our 1st day let it go up into the bright Florida sun. We went to Caseys his favourite food place and Disney Quest his best cool down place. It is hard but remember the happy memories you as a family have had and make some new ones. Happy Holidays.
I didn't want to read and run. DS (10) and I are in the exact same situation. My DH died in March last year. We are going back in October this year with my parents. It's going to be so very hard as it was one of our favourite family holidays.
I love this idea of releasing a balloon. Think we will definitely do this.

I know there are a few of us in a similar situation on here. Let's hope we can help each other through xx
rebeccarobbins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My heart is breaking for you. I have no idea how you must be feeling. Florida was clearly the special place for you all and everywhere you go you will remember your husband and wish he was there with you. Children are strong and they will get you through this much needed trip. Your husband will be there with you all every step of the way. Xx
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue21
Serious Dibber

I am so sorry for your loss and feel your pain. We were supposed to go September 2015 but my mum wasn't up to it so we put it back to April 2016 but unfortunately she died in December 2015. We thought about still going in the April but I couldn't face it all that year without her. We have now booked to go September 2017 and although I know I will see reminders of her everywhere we will celebrate the times we had there with her as she wasn't just a mum but a best friend and I will be wearing my ashes to glasses necklace so she is always with us. As well as the normal traditions we are also going to try to do new things so we don't keep comparing. Have a wonderful time, remember wonderful times and create new memories xx
Blue21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hey my husband died in January last year (my children were 6 and 9). We were booked to go in the October, but I was not strong enough to manage on my own and cancelled. Disney were fantastic and fully refunded my deposit which I never asked then to do.
My children have been before and are desperate to go back, I keep tentatively thinking of going next year, but like you say all firsts are hard and I don't know if i can do it, but we will be another year on and my children deserve it so much.
Please let me know how you get on PM if possible as it is nice to stay in touch with others experiencing 'the loss and the new life' as I like to put it.
Oh and a massive high five to you for having the strength to go. xx
Old 16 Feb 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi

Firstly I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what it must be like.
Whilst not exactly the same but after I lost my parents and went back and this may sound daft but I had a wee photo of them tucked into my park bag and although I knew they would be looking down on us it felt good they were going around with us. I still do the same to any important family events weddings etc. I know people carry photos in purses but this felt a little more special.
I hope you have nice holiday and take home some lovely memories even though I'm sure it will be difficult at times, xx.
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry for your loss, but please, please don't release a balloon, they kill thousands of creatures every year. Go to their favorite restaurant, light candles, blow bubbles anything but release a balloon.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 17, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Just wanted to say how brave you are, and send a big hug! I hope that your trip is a good one, even if you have some sad moments x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List