Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 5 Feb 17, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Travel Insurance awaiting assessment for asd

Dd has been waiting for assessment for asd over 18 months and is likely to still have a long wait. Does Asd need disclosing on insurance, and if so what do you say when you have no official diagnosis? Any help appreciated.
Old 5 Feb 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

I don't know how other insurers ask questions but the company I use ask you to put the condition in and if there any further information required they ask. For our DS (autistic) I can't remember them asking any specific questions. I just declare it and they accept the condition. ELdest DS had major heart surgery at birth and they only ask a few questions for that. Give them a ring if in doubt.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

We have our second annual policy with LV. I declare DS 20s Aspergers and as far as I can remember they only ask if he will ever be travelling alone ,( he wouldn't ) it doesn't add anything to the cost of the policy.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
hibbie
Trainee Dibber

I posted something vey similar to this back in December. We are going through the same and at renewal time for our policy we had seen the paediatrcian and referred to speech and language (and informed that they will also be contacting the school about his not verbal communication skills) but that is as far as we have got as like you say it all takes so long.
When I checked with AXA they would cover if it turned out DS did not have asd/aspegers and would cover him(at no extra cost) if he did, however at the inbetween stage with no clearance of ASD and no diagnosis of asd they would not cover...eventually got insurance through Eurotunnel insurance as thankfully we are not needing worldwide this year and they only needed to knw we did not have a terminal condition, doctor woud agree we were fit to travel etc etc. After I spoke to his physio (he has hypermobile joints as well) and it was her that referred us on as she felt we were dealing with other issues (nobody agreed with my suspicions until that point) she said that she would have said we were attending the paediatrician as he has a "global developmental delay" which would have covered the possibility of asd/aspergers...I'm not too sure about this though!
Hope you get something sorted...it really is a minefield!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=996670

Edited at 08:24 PM. Reason: addding in previous post
hibbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you all for your responses, I was unsure about disclosing to insurance as Dd doesn't have any medical needs as such but I will ring them to double check as I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks again.
Old 6 Feb 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Hi, just an update. Contacted travel insurance and they told me no need to declare for Asd as Dd has not got official diagnosis at present but even when diagnosed as she has no medical needs as such there is no declaration needed. Just happy for clarification as I was second guessing things and wanted to be certain.
Old 6 Feb 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
hibbie
Trainee Dibber

That's fantastic news! Are you able to advise who your insurance is with? (I know that all cases will be different and each situation/person would need to declared anyway). Axa were adamant that they could not cover DS for the time we were awaiting diagnosis and never had an answer either way (and as you know ASD diagnosis takes a very long time in most cases)...i have previously raved about AXAs travel insurance, but unfortunately they weren't able to insure us this time because of this. It would be great to have another insurance to try and to contact/declare this at the next renewal time to see if they would insure him.
hibbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Hi, yes it was Insure and Go. We went with them as dh and I both have hip replacements (me at age of 29 and dh at age of 39) and they were most competitive quote for pre-existing. I know what you mean re: conflicting advice for Asd, other people have been given different information from their travel insurance provider and at present there doesn't seem to be any clear guidelines. So I guess if in doubt check with your own provider just to be sure.