Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 17, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rectory
Earning More Ears

Mobile End of may beg June or October

When is the best time to go peeps looking at next year my eldest will have yr 6 sats in may so looking at going after that or October my only worry is she will be in her first year at high school if we choose October not sure what to do as looking at taking week in the half term and week and half out of school. Thanks
Rectory is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Could you do twelve days in October instead of a longer stay? That would possibly mean only missing one week of school for your kiddo. May and June can be very busy with exams especially for GCSEs. If there's no other option how about the two weeks in July before the schools break up. It's a little cheaper usually and the exams would be over and results aren't usually out until August.
We have booked October just 12 days and allowing for travel our lad will be back in time to resume 6th form College.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Rectory
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Oh I thought they only had Sats may time in primary school ready for high school in September I thought if I go after they've finished Sats x it's going to be a tough one
Rectory is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I thnk wifey misunderstood which exams/year you're talking about.
Year 6 SATS is w/c 8th May this year. It's the same week nationally.
My son's school does a fun week straight after as a reward for their hard work. You might want to check what your school does in case they would be missing anything. I'd avoid July as your eldest will want to be there to "leave" school as usually there are leavers events in last week. Personally I wouldn't want to pull them out in Oct just 6/7 weeks or so after starting a new school. May week plus a week seems like best option to me.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rectory
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Right ok I'm going to ask school the dates for sats next year I was thinking just before they break up for half term and a week or so into June. we went august last time but husband and kids struggled a lot with the heat and humidity. It's a shame we don't have more than a week off may and October. Thank you though I'm worried her missing out too much in October x
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

We went in October but if your child is doing SATs it sounds like a perfect time to go in May incorporating half term. I'm a year 6 teacher and not judging you!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
68nic
Imagineer

I would go the week before May half term be less busy than being there the week after Half term . We are doing similar this year fly out on Weds 17th come back on the Fri last day of schools hols. So dd has all Sunday to try and get back to normal before returning back to school on the Monday
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

My son is doing his year 6 SATS this year and that would certainly work for our school and him not missing anything important to him from a work or fun/leaving point of view. We originally planned to do that this year but opted for end of August last year instead. We really struggled with the heat and humidity too and I don't think I would do August for a theme park holiday again although I loved the pool temperature!
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Eve C
Getting Excited

I am doing exactly this. My daughter finishes her sats on the 12th and we fly the 13th for 24 days. The week after her sats they watch films, play games, etc and do very little work, then it's half term for a week and followed by a week long residential which she isn't going on. October she will have just started secondary school so I figured the may date was better.
I've been at both times before and I have to say I favour May. October is nice but I found you don't get as many hours of sunshine and it's a tad cooler.
Enjoy!
Eve
2013 - Florida Pines Villa
2017 - Calabay Parc Villa
Eve C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
We have been 27th May for three weeks and found it was slightly less humid than August. It was slightly wetter than I though it would be with more than just the odd shower. We also found is very similar to crowd levels to August.

DS is 12 and we are going in Oct for three weeks this year ( taking him out for 2 weeks of school) It will be slightly cooler, but still mid 80`s and with all the Halloween theme I think its a great time to go.

Everyone's opinion of school holidays is different and it should be your decision as a parent, not the school local government or state. Fortunately sense prevailed at the high court and there are few if any fines being issued currently.
As for Y6 sats I shall leave my opinions at the door! However I would not plan around them put it that way!