Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 17, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Manchester airport

Looking for a bit of advice. Flying from Manchester for the first time this year as got really good deal on flights from there £1000 cheaper than Glasgow! We plan on travelling down the day before probably by train and stay overnight. Does the train to Manchester go from edinburgh or is Glasgow best? Does Thomas cook do evening check in at Manchester? And where is good to stay on walking distance or has a free shuttle bus?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Closest place to stay is the Radisson Blu. It is linked to T2 via a short walkway and I believe you can also walk from the airport train station spot too. The best rate I have got for a room is £98 forma double and you will find this price if you check daily on multiple sites for long enough. It's a fab hotel for a night before a flight stay I highly recommend it.
Old 24 Feb 17, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

If budget allows, then I'd go for the Radisson Blu, but if you want somewhere a bit cheaper look at tue Premier inn at Heald Green (around £35 in the sale). It's right next to the station 1 short stop (5 minutes, if that) from the airport station at terminal 2. If you look in Google maps or earth you'll get a good idea if it's location. My husband stayed there last year before he came out to join the rest of us and said it was very easy and convenient.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Kathleen74
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thomas cook do twilight check in so you can drop bags the night b4 and in the morning go straight to security. We did this last year and it was great-so chilled in the morning. We always drive down from Glasgow the day before and stay at holiday inn express.
Kathleen74 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Another vote for the Radisson Blu if you can afford it, hop, skip and a jump from check in

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Worth noting that Thomas Cook twilight check in is only for flights departing before 12pm the next day. Our flights is annoyingly at 12.35pm!
We got a great deal on the Radisson Blu for £86 a room. Premier Inn was coming in at £59 a room so it was a no brainer for us.
Old 24 Feb 17, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Simbamummy View Post
Looking for a bit of advice. Flying from Manchester for the first time this year as got really good deal on flights from there £1000 cheaper than Glasgow! We plan on travelling down the day before probably by train and stay overnight. Does the train to Manchester go from edinburgh or is Glasgow best? Does Thomas cook do evening check in at Manchester? And where is good to stay on walking distance or has a free shuttle bus?

Thanks
as a family of 5 we struggle with the major chains as they official say 4 and boo boo is now 3 so a bit big to sneak in - we did call and say is it okay if and generally they say yes - but for a 5 person room we found this and its cheap!

driving tho...

not the tippiest of toppiest hotel but we got a great deal with the Britannia Country House.

travel down on 26th - check in there - park the car at the hotel
grab an uber to airport on 27th
comeback on the 12th - back to the hotel - early check in at noon.
leave on the 13th...

so 2 nights, 16 nights parking
executive family room for 5 for £170...

that's a great price, if not a great hotel - but just somewhere to crash...

also paid nothing now so if a better deal appears later then we can cancel with no penalty

flight prices are truly great from manch at the mo and not just TC - virgin too - TC even for next year sub 450 pa.

at the mo its £249 out and £149 back - sub 400 per adult if you have some flex.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077

Edited at 09:05 AM.
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Frange
Proud to wear my Ears

We are also flying from Manchester this year because it was a lot cheaper despite living literally 2 minutes from Glasgow airport! We have always flown direct from Glasgow but not this year. Crazy! We are a family of four (2ad + 2c) and we decided to fly to Manchester rather than drive or take the train. Flybe go from both Glasgow and Edinburgh to Manchester. Its probably a bit dearer than taking the train but I didn't fancy lugging 2 children, 4 suitcases + hand luggage down to Manchester on a train. Also my car isn't big enough for all 4 of us + the luggage. So we went with Flybe. 1 hour on the plane - straight into Manchester airport. We tried to book Radisson Blu for 1 night but they don't seem to have any rooms to accommodate 4 people. Max room occupancy is 3. So I would have needed to book 2 rooms which was too expensive for 1 night. We have therefore booked the Clayton hotel which is literally across the road from the Radisson Blu and it looks nice. £135 for a family room. Its is bonkers that I am still much cheaper flying from Manchester, with additional Flybe flights and a hotel for 1 night than I am to go direct from Glasgow! Scottish holidaymakers getting ripped off as per usual!
Windsor At Westside July 2017
Grand Floridian/ Windsor Hills 2024
Frange is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

If i can jump in on this thread and ask a few questions, we are planning on staying at the radisson blu after a friend has told us they can get us friends and family room rates but they cant do that on the parking deals so we would be booking the parking direct with manchester airport, can you go to the parking (meet and great) then access the hotel from there?
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sunaddict
Imagineer

You need to go into the terminal building and follow signs for the Skylink, which links T1 to T2. You can walk around the outside but better to go in and access the Skylink. The Radisson is in between the terimals.
sunaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List