Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 23 Jun 11, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mates
Helping Minnie

May 28 till June 8th Med Cruise trip report

We flew to Barcelona the day before & stayed in the Renaissance Airport Hotel. They picked us up from the airport. They offered to take us to the port for 10 euro per person and the bus goes @ 11am, 12pm & 1pm. We could not wait so we decided to get a taxi. It came to 20 Euro and the he banged extras on for us taking bags? So it ended up at 30 euros.

Saturday 28th May – Embarkation Day
We were allocated stateroom 2540. Our Dining rotation was L.A.P. & Late seating and I mean late 8:30pm? We also had the server we requested Sompong (from Thailand). We boarded @ 12pm and went to book a Palo Brunch and then Topsiders for lunch. How I have missed that buffet. I thought the choice of desserts have gone smaller to previous cruises! We went to our room to start unpacking! Then life boat drill, how many times do I have to do that. We wandered around for a bit and then went to deck 10 to watch Sail away party. We missed the evening show, due to the unpacking! Lumieres for dinner (Our favourite)! Dinner Menu was Let the Magic Begin, in cruise casual. We met Sompong who we had last year & His Assistant was Maria from Argentina.
After dinner we went to Rockin Bar D for the Match Your Mate. I always find this a really good laugh. However we observed an American couple cheating on the multiple choice questions as they were squeezing each others legs on the correct answer! Then Bed we were tired! Our Room Host was Clint from St. Vincent.

Sunday 29th May – Sea Day
We literally stayed by quiet cove all day and did not move. It was busier than we had ever seen it. There were lots of couples (just like us) on board not many kids. Is that a good thing? I am still undecided. It is formal night and the twice charmed show we have seen it before so we decided pre dinner cocktails in Sessions! How busy...I have a new taste for Cosmopolitans! They are so strong 2 and I was merry! Animators Palate for Prince & Princess Menu. We went to Rockin Bar D for Hawley Magic. BORING they were mainly doing tricks with Hankies. It needed updating! We did a deck 4 walk and off to deck 9 for water for bed!

Monday 30th May – Malta
We got up early Topsiders for Breakfast then we got off at 9am. We wanted to do the Blue Grotto Caves. We refused to pay the $52 so we decided to try it on our own. We asked a taxi driver how much it would cost he said 60 Euro to take us and wait for us and take us back to the town. The blue grotto caves cost us 7 euro to do. It only lasted about half an hour but worth doing. We had another couple with us so the whole trip costed us 22 euro each (beat that Disney)! He waited for us and dropped us back in town. We just meandered around the shops including M&S & BHS! We wandered around the town. We got back onto the ship for a topsiders lunch and then chilled around Quiet Cove (you will notice this trend)! Show was Once Upon a song. We had previously seen it so back to sessions for more Cosmo’s! Dinner was Parrot Cay with island dinner menu! Rockin Bar D after for Dan Dunns Paint Jam. God this may was amazing he did 3 amazing Paintings in ½ hour!

Tuesday 31st May – Palermo
What a dump of a place. The port stunk to the high heaven. We did the city sightseeing tour bus and got back on the ship at lunchtime (Topsiders) Then chilled for the afternoon in Quiet cove! We had Palo dinner tonight @ 7pm. It was absolutely divine. Steak & Chocolate Soufflé what more could I ask for! After Palo we went to sessions and watched the pianist Dave and a couple more Cosmopolitans!

Wednesday 1st June – Naples
We had an organised adults only trip to Pompeii booked which cost $75 each. We got off the tour bus and proceeded into the ruins. Then the heavens opened and it began to thunder & lightening. I am so scared of it as well. I did not want to move any further forward and go back to the ship. My DH convinced me to carry on. I cried all the way round and took some very random photographs of dogs. It hardly let up. We were taken round all the houses of ill repute and the wild dogs were using it as their home to shelter from the rain... So cute. On the trip back to the ship we were told all about the Romanian Immigrants taking refuge by the port. We arrived back at the ship at 1.30 for lunch . After lunch we got back off to use the internet in the outside cafe in the port! The show was Pirates of the Caribbean did not go as we have never seen any of the others! Animators Palate & show dinner then onto Sessions, early night as we have a long day planned for Rome!

Thursday 2nd June- Civitavecchia
We decided to do Rome on our own. We got the bus over to the port terminal and outside the building a lady was selling tickets for the Fast Train to St Peters for 15 Euros. It is non stop and takes about 30 – 35 mins. There is only 1 fast train one at 9:30 and return @ 4:40pm. The regular train takes 1 hour for 9 euro. Normally you can get off and walk to Vatican City in 5 mins and hop on a tour bus. However there was a festival on and all tour buses were suspended. So we walked from the Vatican to the Pantheon to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps & the Coloseum. We managed pasta & Pizza for lunch! It was really hot and we were so tired of walking. We physically could not keep going to look at any more sights! We walked back to the train station & stopped for a tasty Ice Cream! Before catching the fast train back. Parrot Cay for dinner and Master chef menu. We went to deck 9 for water and crashed in the room we were beyond tired.

Friday 3rd June – Sea Day...Yeah
I could not of done 10 night cruise and do without this sea day. It was Palo’s Brunch day. We had it booked for 10:30am. OMG the food was amazing. The Pizza s are fab here! I did a bit of washing late afternoon. There was almost a fight over a dryer. Some people really need to grow up! Villains Night. We decided to go to this show. We stayed 10 mins & walked out it is beyond poor, I think it is the worst Disney production I have ever seen. Lumieres for dinner & villains menu. After dinner we went to Rockin Bar D and watched the right Stuff for a while and then bed. We were still tired from the day in Rome!

Saturday 4th June – La Spezia
We had a little lie in as we had nothing planned for today. This is a tendered port so we waited a while for the excursions to leave and then we just wandered around the shops and found a cafe so we could access WIFI! We spent a couple of hours in La Spezia before we got back on the ship. We wanted to spend time and enjoy the ship. We had a little swim and sunbathe and had an afternoon nap! We went to the theatre to watch Dale K the Hypnotist. He asked for volunteers so I put my hand up & was picked. All I will say that guy is amazing! It was Pirates in the Caribbean Party. We were in animators for dinner before making our way to Deck 10 to watch the festivities. We managed to get it all done before it started to rain. We could see lightening in the horizon ! We wandered around the ship as there were lots of people milling about saying how amazing the fireworks were. It was a really good atmosphere.

Sunday 5th June – Corsica
We decided to do little blue train around the Island. It was 6 Euro and took in the major sites such as Napoleons birthplace. That took us about 1 hour and then we wandered around the little market looking at all the cured meats & cheeses! It then began to rain so we headed back to the ship. It rain for most of the afternoon. We went down to Deck 4 close to the port end we managed to get free WIFI and we spent some tame just relaxing and catching up with things and having a look at Facebook! We went to see the Dreams show & it is great cannot fault it! It was Parrot for tea Semi Formal for Captains Gala! Afterwards we went to Rockin Bar D to watch the great English Comic Andy Ford. We howled laughing! Everytime he cracked a joke that the Americas did not get he waved his hand over his head. That was just so funny! We did a Deck 4 walk and then bed!

Monday 6th June – Ville Franche
We got up early and went to Monte Carlo on our own. We caught the train which was 5 Euros 20 Cents. It is situated to the right of the bay. It took about 12 mins and we were there. As we got off the train we went downstairs and come out at the hop on Hop off bus it was 17 Euros each. I have to say this was my favourite stop of the whole cruise. It is as good as it looks on the TV. We went to the palace and I queued 40 mins for a Pee. It was awful! We watched changing of the guards (nothing compared to Buckingham Palace!) we grabbed a couple of baguettes for lunch then we went to the cathedral what a lovely place! We then walked down a huge amount of steps to the Vintage car museum of the Prince of Monaco. It cost us 6 euro to get in and the cars inside were amazing. We took the train back to the port and it was like a mad scramble for the train. You need to stand in the middle of the platform as the train was not very big and everyone ran to get on. It was Lumieres for dinner and Flavours of the Med menu. After dinner we went to see the Adult show of Dale K. How did I laugh. I am glad I never put my hand up for this one. Deck 4 walk and then bed!

Tuesday 7th June – Sea Day (Our Last Day)
We had a lazy morning, we got up late did a little packing the weather was very cloudy so we decided to go and see Gnomeo & Juliette. I recommend it so funny! We did our final Topsiders Lunch and as the weather did not pick up we decided to towel animal folding, which was really fun. Not done it since though! Then we went back to the cinema to watch Tangled again another good film. Half was through the film Captain John made an announcement that we had to medically evacuate a passenger so we were going to spend the night in Barcelona. We took off so fast I thought we were on a speed boat! It was Animators for dinner and our last night of fantastic service with the Till we meet again menu & baked Alaska! This is when reality sets in and we are getting off in the morning. It was a really good meal everything kept getting dropped and everyone would clap. It was a really good atmosphere. It had to be the best night of the cruise. The teenagers we really upset about leaving the new friends they had made. I had a huge lump in my throat! After dinner we went to the Atrium to watch the characters doing till we meet again. Then our final deck 4 walk and deck 9 for water & finish off the packing then bed.

Wednesday 8th June – Debarkation
We got up at 6 went to Topsiders for breakfast and debarked the ship @ 7:20 to get a taxi back to the airport. The taxi cost 38 Euros.

In Summary!
We really enjoyed the cruise and the best port had to be Ville Franche! We did the Baltics last year and felt we had more time last year. As you where straight in the city centres and did not have 2 hour drives for any of the excursions! Our cruise director was Peter and we think he sounds like Kermit the frog! How cool is that!

Edited at 07:27 PM. Reason: title change
Mickeys Mates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 11, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Great report..thank you for sharing it with us. What did you think of your room at the Renaissance? We're staying here the night before our WBTA. Would love to see some photos of the hotel if you have any?

I'll pop your trip report link in the sticky in this forum
Old 23 Jun 11, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
M M
Dibbing with Tink

Great report, sounds like you had a great time
M M is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 11, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 11, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report, 57 days and i'll be on the Magic for 7 night in the Med.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 11, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mates
Helping Minnie

It was really nice it is like a dome shape. The transfer from the Airport was a bit of a pain. We rang the hotel from our mobile to pick us up. we waited 1/2 hour & had to ring again. It is not far from either. A taxi would of cost about 25 euros. Very modern inside The shower almost blew us out of the bath it was very powerful. The food was a bit pricey. We took cereal bars so we did not have to pay the 30 euro for breakfast. We knew it would not be long until topsiders! Sorry we have no pics as we got there late and left early...way to excited!
Old 23 Jun 11, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Thanks for the info...Was that 30 Euros each for the breakfast? We've booked a pre cruise pkg, which includes breakfast for 2 and a free transfer to the port.
We're just thinking of sharing a shuttle to the port though as I don't like the sound of the hotel shuttle.
Old 23 Jun 11, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List