Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Mar 15, 03:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Safyre
Very Serious Dibber

Kennedy rocket launch

Hi

Has anyone been to a rocket launch at Kennedy? Is it worth going to?

We already have tickets but have planned for a different day, and to change would mean changing our HS fast passes and ADR.
Old 21 Mar 15, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post

It's an experience, nothing like when the shuttles were flying. Nothing is guaranteed. Check out rocket types and proposed launch times at spacecoastlaunches
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 15, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The shuttles were absolutely awesome and simply the most spectacular thing that I have seen in my 54 years (11 months). The power was humbling and quite frankly amazing ( think of the power of 28 Jumbo Jets on take off).

As for the Deltas, Delta Heavies, Falcons 9s and similar, I have never seen them. In a few years time, a new Rocket, SLS similar in power to Shuttle and generally similar to the old Saturn V moo shots will be launching and in later versions will visit the Moon as well as later, Mars whilst manned. I will definitely want to see this from around 2018.

The problem with all launches is that they are often delayed for technical reasons so you cannot set your watch on them. Treat a launch as a bonus.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:03 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 15, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Princ3ss D
VIP Dibber

We are here now and have done the same thing and swapped our days round to watch the launch on Wednesday. Although nothing if guaranteed I believe it's worth trying to catch a special moment like this. I'll let you know how It goes!
Princ3ss D is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 15, 03:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Safyre
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the replies, I managed to get the same rides and restaurant, although different times, so have swapped the days around.

Will be a bonus if we see it, and no harm done if we don't.
Old 29 Mar 15, 04:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Princ3ss D
VIP Dibber

Hi,

Just to let you know we went to Kennedy on Wednesday and saw the rocket launch it was amazing but busy! If you do go I'd recommend that if you want to see the rocket launch from over at the Apollo visitor centre I suggest you get over there with plenty of time to spare. We left it a little late and started queuing for the tour bus at 12.30 thinking we'd have time to fit it tour of launch pads before they closed it down at 1.30 however we were queuing for a bus for 1 hour 20 minutes! We did get over it time to get in the stands to see the launch but missed out on doing the tour of the launch pads. We did see the Atlantis exhibition though which was fantastic. We left Kissimmee at 8am and arrived at Kennedy for 9.15am, it was straight run with no traffic. It was just busy once we got to Kennedy. If you get the chance it is worth it, the atmosphere was great and such an experience to remember forever. Have fun.
Princ3ss D is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 15, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Wow I went to a shuttle launch in the late 90's sadly it was postponed but the exeperience of the wait and the tail gates was still amazing
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 15, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Thanks for the update
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 15, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mkwolf
Getting Excited

We went to one back in October. It's well worth it, it was fantastic. We went out to the viewing seats about an hour before when they opened it up. What I will say is if it's anything like the day we went take plenty of water, it was red hot sitting there, we took in turns to go inside just for a cool down! Hopefully it'll go as planned but quite often they do get postponed.

DLP March 2012
Terra Verde Oct 2014
Terra Verde Oct 2017
Mkwolf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 15, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
shepherdypie
VIP Dibber

My husband went to watch a launch a few years ago and said it was brilliant and not to be missed!