Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 31 Jan 16, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Ben and Libbys Fabulously Frugal Festive Food! Christmas 2015 Dining Report **COMPLETE!**

Ben and Libbys Fabulously Frugal Festive Food!

Hi guys! Okay sooooo ever since we got back from our magical Christmas trip Ive been umming and ahhing about whether to commit to a full trippie, or just do a dining review. I took notes every day, but I didnt take nearly as many photos as previous trips! Also, the notes sometimes stop halfway through the day and Ive got so much on my mind at the moment I dont think Ill be able to remember it all!

On the other hand, I took photos of all the food we ate and I have a pretty good memory for food! But then again I love having all my trippies to look back on and remember the trips!

OOH it was a tough decision! Ultimately though, I dont want to put myself under loads of pressure to do a trippie when Ive got so much to do for the wedding/honeymoon/planning the holiday itineraries of quite a few of our wedding guests haha, so after a brief consultation with Benj Ive decided to do a kind of extended dining review - photos and descriptions of all our meals, interspersed with a few additional memories/descriptions of things that happened if theres something I particularly want to record! So I really hope thats okay with everyone! Feel free to skip the non-foodie bits if youre all about the food! (bout that food, no treble!)

Okay! Now that Ive blabbered on for way longer than anyone really needed, lets get this food party underway!

The Cast

So, the basics! Im sure you all know us by now as Ive been hanging around these boards for TIIIMEEE but if not, hi, Im Libby! My fiance is Ben! This is us!

The Trip

We travelled to Orlando on the 19th December 2015, and returned home on the 2nd January. Yep, we were out there for Christmas AND NYE! It was amazing! Most importantly though, this was a Budget Tip. We are saving very very hard for our upcoming wedding, and to make this trip happen (in which we planned aforementioned wedding with Disney <3) it had to be as cheap as possible! We stayed off-site, used our free annual passes that we got when we booked our Disney Fairytale Wedding (i use the term free loosely hahah) and set a budget of $100 a day for all food, drinks and souvenirs! We did have an additional budget of around $450 which we were very kindly gifted by parents/family as our Christmas presents, and we put this on a FairFX card and called it our Fun Money (or sometimes just Funny hahaha ohh) We mainly used this on alcohol as we both enjoy a cocktail and $100 doesnt go very far when youre drinking cocktails at Disney! Ill try and mention when we were using Funny and not the daily budget, but I hope youll still find this dining review useful if youre on a budget for your next trip. Christmas Day was a day we used a lot of Funny as we ate at Chef Mickeys and Yachtsman Steakhouse, plus lots of cocktails throughout the day. Because hey, it was Christmas Day! But also, $$$$$$. So thats a good indication of when our daily budget got blown, but it was fine as wed planned for it and that was why we had the Funny

Overall though, Id say it is 100% possible to feed two people a day for $100! I know this is a really frequently asked question on the boards, and we honestly didnt feel hard done by at all! Sure, there was no frivolous Food and Wine $9 steak snacks (but luckily food and wine wasnt on! ) but dont forget we both like a drink (or 3) and we were able to have those, and eat in some amazing places. We were careful about what we chose, we ate breakfasts in our room, and we ate off-site where we could. It was a different holiday to our previous trips but we still had an absolutely amazing time and we would 100% do it again if we needed to!

In terms of food..we like it. A lot. Bens a vegetarian for ethical reasons so doesnt eat any meat or fish products. He loves spicy things and particularly enjoys mexican food. I eat most things, I love anything with cheese on, steak, seafood, and anything peanut-butter and/or chocolate flavoured!

And now..its food time!

Day 1 - 18th December 2015

IT WAS HERE! That most exciting of days, the day before! We both had the day off which has never happened before but it was amazing! We spent the morning cleaning the flat and finishing off packing! Ben had a haircut, our friend Jason came to look after our kitty <3 and before we knew it we were ready to go! Bens Mum came to pick us up at 1.15, we said goodbye to Saffie and we were off! We got to the train station, the train I thought we were getting didnt actually exist (awkward) but there was a connecting train at 1.50pm so we got on that instead and just had to change once. All good! Id bought sandwiches from the Co Op the night before so we ate them on the train mmmm!

We got to Gatwick at 3.30 (can you tell my notes from this day are super detailed!?) and walked through to find bus stop 8 which was going to the Travelodge. It was a super quick journey and in no time we were there! Our room was incredibly spacious haha! Ben dried some clothes that hadnt quite finished drying on the floor so it was handy!

Benji on the bed!

Quick outfit shot!

We just chilled for the next few hours and it was sooooooo relaxing! We cracked open a bottle of wine, I showered and painted my nails, we watched Friday afternoon TV, and it was just the best feeling! I couldnt believe how chilled out I was feeling, I literally had not a care in the world! Soooo different from 2013 when I was so stressed for no reason, I felt really proud of myself

About 6.45 we decided to go down for dinner as TFI Friday was on earlier than we thought and as Alan Partridge was presenting it (!) we wanted to watch! The BarCafe was pretty dead when we got there which we were surprised about! We grabbed a table, Ben got us some drinks (wine and beer) and we perused the menu (even though Id already spent quite a lot of time perusing it in our room) . We eventually decided what we wanted. It was like crazy cheap, Ive got in my notes 28 which was for two 2 course meals, with a beer and a wine. It took me aaaaaages to order though as the guy put the two burgers down as 3 burgers. Errr no mate, 2 people, 2 burgers. His manager came out to help him though and they both thanked me for my patience (Id already had 2 glasses of wine by this point hahahah) and I went to sit back down.

We passed the time by taking photos

Ben made me laugh!

And then our food arrived! Yay! I took this photos with my ancient Panasonic camera and I switched to my iPhone the next day, and then used my iPhone the whole holiday! So apologies if these photos arent the best!

We decided to share the cheesy garlic bread, and the loaded potato skins. The garlic bread was amaze but the skins were dry Never mind!

We then both opted for the big greedy boy burgers mmmmm - mine with beef, Bens with veggie burgers. These were lovely but so filling! And I was already kinda full from the starters and wine!

We did our best but they defeated us No pudding obvs (we hardly ever get pudding just as an FYI if youre a pudding lover, apologies!) and we were both feeling really knackered all of a sudden! So we bid farewell to the Bar Cafe and headed back up to our spacious room. Once I had my brand new Hogwarts PJs on I felt lots better, and we enjoyed a couple more hours relaxing in bed watching TV before setting the alarm and going to sleep. Tomorrow - FLORIDAY!

Total spent - 38 for drinks and dinner!

Edited at 10:38 AM.
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
16offtodisney!
Apprentice Imagineer

Ohh, looking forward to this, we too were out the for Christmas 😀
DLP Newport bay Sept 2008,DLP Santa fe April 2010, Emerald Island Easter 2012,Indian Creek May 2014, Rosen inn @Pointe, Royal Pacific, Springhill Suites Christmas 2015,Port Orleans French Quarter October 2017,Cabana Bay, Doubletree @Seaworld, Allstars Movies Christmas 2018
Sarah xx
16offtodisney! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Yay Libby... any kind of trippie will do Thanks for taking the time to share

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Oops, double post...

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

yaaaay its begun,i thought we were only getting highs and lows, so bonus mo x
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Great start, Libby. You are looking very slender and happy. Look forward to reading along. x
Old 31 Jan 16, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

Fab start xx
Dan's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Always enjoyed reading your trip reports and I love me a good food report so look forward to this. Great start.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We are considering Christmas for this year - so subscribing
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 16, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34