Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 21 Oct 16, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post

I have no advice but congratulations on baby number 2! You're amazing parents and you'll be great x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadMummy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Keep positive a friend of mine has a son with DS (baby number 5!) And he is an absolute blessing. He has his troubles and they've had to make adaptions etc but he's not any more difficult then any other child with a moderate disability if I'm honest.

There are lots of groups on FB and I'm sure there will be a support group in your area to. Hope the next scan goes well xx
Old 21 Oct 16, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Firstly congratulations x. My cousin has ds and just celebrated her 40th birthday . She attended school and college and now has a boyfriend who she met at her support group . She leads a very full life as family has always made it that way and has had the same opportunities as all of us. Hopefully your scans will tell you more and help you prepare but I'm sure you will love your little one and give it the best in life as any parent would . Can you ask you midwife if you can join any groups in your area now to ease your worries a little x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
My daughter works with adults who have DS?

They are the nicest, loving, giving, warm, funny and most genuine people that God ever placed on planet earth.

Disney332
I was going to say the same. My mother worked with adults with DS and helped one lad write a book.
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
pixie81
Imagineer

pixie81's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 92
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Oh Emma. I'm so sorry you didn't receive the results you were hoping for. But I think you're very strong and are a wonderful mummy to Mason, and you will be a wonderful Mummy to the new baby too. You are going to have some tough times ahead, but also some very rewarding and magical times too. Mason is going to make a fabulous big brother.

Sending hugs.

Aimie. xxx
pixie81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Agree with the poster about Downs Side Up - an inspirational book / site with story book for siblings.
My niece Megan is fantastic, if you have Facebook look at her site Megan Wilcox Dressage for her story of dressage with riding for the disabled competing in able bodied and disability sport.
No children are easy and DS just brings different challenges.
Best wishes, Gillian
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
shepherdypie
VIP Dibber

I have no direct advice on this but have to say the children/adults I have ever had contact with who have DS are lovely kind and beautiful people.

I think you are brave strong and wonderful parents and I wish you all the best for the future x
Old 21 Oct 16, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lady emz View Post
I am 16 weeks pregnant and after a high risk of 1 in 5 for DS after the first scan and blood tests, we have recently received the results from our Harmony test (NIPT) to say our baby has DS.

Does any one on here have a child with DS? We have decided of course to continue the pregnancy, declining the amniocentesis as that would not change our decision. We are just trying to come to terms with it all, and try to prepare for our new life when the baby arrives in April next year. I just keep crying for the last few days as am finding the unknown hard, I am a planner! We have a heart scan next Friday at UCH in London so we are in good hands. I guess we won't know the full extent of disabilities or any heart problems until birth though?

We also have a holiday to WDW booked for October next year when the baby will be 6 months, which we deferred from November this year due to the Zika virus risks, guessing it will be a decision to make nearer the time as to whether or not we can go?

Thanks
My friends eldest daughter (age 5) was born with DS. She now runs a lot of media awareness and support groups. I can ask her if she wouldn't mind me passing on her email address. I know she'd only be too happy to answer any questions. X
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
charlie_fame
Very Serious Dibber

charlie_fame's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Didn't want to read and run , congratulations on baby number 2! you have made a really brave decision, I have had some experience with nursing patients with ds as I work on the heart wards and a lot of people with ds have heart conditions. I think it's a condition that can really range in severity and I think there's something to be said with nature vs nurture . I'm sure with you as loving parents and mason as an amazing big brother your baby will be perfect 😊
charlie_fame is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 16, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hi, congratulations on your baby. I'm sorry the test results aren't what you wished for. I have a friend who has a little girl with DS and went on to adopt a little boy from Eastern Europe also with DS. She is a big advocate for families with DS. If you are ready to talk to someone, I could maybe put you in touch with her. Send me a pm if you would find that helpful.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List