Notices

Old 23 Dec 16, 03:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 1 Meeting Santa

The day started very early for some of is (me ) but the rest of the group managed to 6am.

After I moved the packing cubes to drawers (plenty of storage space! ) we went down to breakfast. J made some waffles and I had cinnamon bagels (which O nicked from me too). Even the coffee was drinkable. For an included breakfast it wasn't bad.

About 8.30am we headed out. The subway is literally 75m from the hotel. It is overhead (very noisy) but very easy to get to. We bought 4 weekly passes ($128).

It took about 15 mins to reach Times Square. Here we went up the red steps, into Hershey's world and the M&M shop as well as the Disney store.

We then walked over to the Rockerfella Plaza so we could get the TOTR tickets for sunset next week.

The famous tree was a bit disappointing - straggly was the word that comes to mind!

We got the tickets (exchanging our voucher for the city pass booklet).

A coffee was needed so Starbucks was visited Much needed refreshment!

Both the Nintendo and Lego shops were visited! Nothing bought though!

Santa was helping someone on the ice!

This was the door arrangement at Saks- very Charlie like!

Next stop was Grand Central Station. The kids thought it very spectacular and they enjoyed the whispering corners!

We went down to the food concourse where pizzas for the kids were purchased.

The kids said it was nice - but filling.

Next stop was Macy's - quite a hike. We stopped at Pret a Manger for sandwiches for J and I. The window displays were wonderful. Losing O was not (we lose him most holidays at some stage... )

Inside was equally well done - loved this one.

Then the highlight of the day - visiting Santa. I had prebooked a fastpass two days ago. We bypassed the long queue and were meeting Santa within minutes.

F sat on his knee and even O joined in - the photos are fantastic. Santa was lovely and promised to see what he could do on the present front!

It was worth doing - a very efficient set up. And completely free. I think the fastpass is a bit of a hidden gem!

We caught the subway upto 5th Avenue at Central Park to pick ip my preordered Christmas present

We headed back to the hotel for a rest for an hour.

Out again on the subway to a diner two stops down. I had a veggie burger, J a fish burger and the kids egg and chips. It was a reasonable $34.

We continued back on the subway to Times Square where it was a lot busier - and not really as nice!

It had been sunny and warm all day but tonight it was bitterly cold. We didn't stay long - the early start was catching up on us.

So day one has seen us walking 20337 steps and taking 5 subway rides!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 16, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 23 Dec 16 2:33 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a lovely day
I suppose the tree looks better at night when all the lights are on
Well done on seeing Santa

Joan 🤶
Old 23 Dec 16, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Lovely day
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 16, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
What a lovely day
I suppose the tree looks better at night when all the lights are on
Well done on seeing Santa

Joan 🤶
The tree was definitely a disappointment - probably because they have it billed as "the tree"!

It was a lovely day though - tiring but fun!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 16, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Lovely day
Thanks

I see you are off to Andorra - have you been before? We go quite often as it is one of the best ski areas locally (we live about 3 hours away!)

Index of my trip reports
Old 27 Dec 16, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks like a busy but fun day. How cool to get a fastpass for Santa!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Is that an Ewok or Winnie the Pooh in Times Square at night?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Love it. Great report.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A great day, the tree did look a bit straggly, not at all how it looks in the movies.