Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 May 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
jb3
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

:) What happens if the cars not big enough for luggage

Hi we've booked a cruise and stay via a travel Agent which includes a car from Alamo for the first week. They've booked us a compact for 4 Adults. My question is what happens if we can't get everyone's luggage into the car on arrival. We did not request a specific car type on booking.
jb3 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

Half of you get in the car, half go in a taxi or you pay to upgrade
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We had this issue, and I got the Magical Express to the hotel.

You will get 4 adults in a compact no problem, but you definitely won't get 4 full sized suitcases in the boot. To be honest, 4 full sized cases will be a struggle in most boots.

the alamo compact list for 2018 was (this is not definitive, just info that was shared on theDibb)

Fiat 500
ford fiesta
chev sonic
hyundai accent
nissan versa note (this would hold 4 cases)
nissan versus sedan
toyota yaris

Edited at 11:39 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
jb3

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
Half of you get in the car, half go in a taxi or you pay to upgrade
Thanks that's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if the TA should be making sure the car booked is large enough for the party before we go. Seems very small from what we've had on previous visits. Thanks for your prompt response
jb3 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
jb3

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We had this issue, and I got the Magical Express to the hotel.

You will get 4 adults in a compact no problem, but you definitely won't get 4 full sized suitcases in the boot. To be honest, 4 full sized cases will be a struggle in most boots.

the alamo compact list for 2018 was

Fiat 500
ford fiesta
chev sonic
hyundai accent
nissan versa note (this would hold 4 cases)
nissan versus sedan
toyota yaris
Thanks it does say Nissan Versa or similar think we'll have to go with the flow. I'm just too much of a control freak I like to know everything is sorted before we go. 😁
Old 26 May 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Remember it is not just the 4X cases, but the 4X hand luggage and duty free etc... you won't be able to stop for any shopping (bottled water takes a lot of room) on the way to accommodation, and if you are going somewhere with all the luggage on the last day it all has to fit in the boot to be covered on insurance etc.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jb3 View Post
Thanks that's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if the TA should be making sure the car booked is large enough for the party before we go. Seems very small from what we've had on previous visits. Thanks for your prompt response
No, the travel agent will just book a car big enough for all the people, unless you ask for something larger.

We fell foul of this a few years ago, as I normally book independently but went for a flydrive and didn't really think about how big the car would be, assuming it would be ok. it was a 4 seater, but a Fiat 500 was never going to be big enough for 4 of us! We changed it to a Chevy Spark which was more comfortable but still not a 4 case car.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
We went back to the desk and asked for something else, and they gave us a Chevy Spark. but they were quite rude and said it was in the class we had paid for!

I think they thought we would pay for an upgrade, but I wasn't about to spend my spending money on a bigger car.
Old 26 May 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

OP, I'd go back to the TA and ask about how much to upgrade to a full-size, even then you'll struggle with 4 cases. You might need a 7 seater SUV.

Alternatively. You'll only need the space on the trips to/from the airport. Consider 1 person taking 2 cases in an Uber and the other 3 taking the compact with 2 cases in the trunk
Old 26 May 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
and if you are going somewhere with all the luggage on the last day it all has to fit in the boot to be covered on insurance etc.
Lots of holiday insurance have a clause in their policies that say luggage in the boot must be covered by the parcel shelf. Ive yet to recieve a car with on when in the USA