Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jun 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We used to watch 50 odd pages of Teletext scrolling round and stop it at TCD. Their staff were great and most of them had been to the hotels they could add. Hotel A at £30 a night or the more luxurious hotel B at £32 per night.
Wow blast from the past! I forgot I used to sit in the front room as a kid watching this for hours writing down all the ones that I thought were suitable for the family to take a holiday (I was only about 8 ) then I would go to my mum and we would sit down and go through them all and she would obviously pretend she was going to ring them up for me to see if she could book.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Superl
A Guest at All-Stars

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Priced a flight from Manchester to orlando in sept using my airmiles.
Is this the cheapest price ever
First time post here, although the site has been very useful for planning a trip next year.

Controversially, I'd say that's a low price but not great value as it depends on how you value your Virgin Miles. You should be able to get a oneway Upper Class ticket for that many miles to some destinations, which compared with the cash price means each mile is worth 1.5p or more. Virgin are giving you value here of 0.55p a mile.

I've just booked three business seats to Orlando on BA next year for 270,000 Avios (plus a chunky £1,900 in fees...). They're changeable and refundable. The lowest cash price for three non-changeable business tickets was £5,105 which meant the Avios were worth 1.1p a mile. The cheapest tickets with equal flexibility were £23,000 so the Avios were arguablty worth about 9p each... whereas BA values them about under 0.5p each when reducing the price of a (non-flexible) cash ticket.

However I know you're just proving how cheap things can be, so don't consider this too grumpy! My point is don't just spend your miles to reduce the cash price of a trip, think of them as currency and consider what offers the best value.

Chuffed to have that trip booked of course.
Superl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Who remembers landing in Bangor, Maine to refuel and in March/April having the wings de-iced before we could take off again.

Mick
I remember, also stopped at Gander, Newfoundland once.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
I remember, also stopped at Gander, Newfoundland once.
My first two trips were in 1995 and 1996 out of NCL with Monarch, both stopped at Bangor. First trip was for golf. Customs at Bangor checked all of our golf shoes and made us remove any traces of mud/soil. First taste of really cold gassy US beer at that airport, not nice.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We got a couple of hoover flights.
Seems odd to think back to the days when the plane had to stop and refuel.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

If she was there between 1997 and 2008 we may have spoken to her.

They organised hotels on a couple of road trips and a couple of cruises from Florida for us as well as loads of simple single hotel stays.

Who remembers landing in Bangor, Maine to refuel and in March/April having the wings de-iced before we could take off again.

And Sunshine First in TCD liveried 747.

Mick
Hi Mick, yes she was there then. She really enjoyed that job and the fact that she had been to Florida a few times really helped.
Yep, I remember stopping in Bangor, Maine to refuel too. They took us off the plane into a holding room for 45 mins while they refuelled it.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Yep, I remember stopping in Bangor, Maine to refuel too. They took us off the plane into a holding room for 45 mins while they refuelled it.
Me too, I can still see that holding room in my mind’s eye because we stopped there a quite few times. As a tall family, I also remember better seat pitches (more legroom) even in economy in those days!
Old 28 Jun 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
My first two trips were in 1995 and 1996 out of NCL with Monarch, both stopped at Bangor. First trip was for golf. Customs at Bangor checked all of our golf shoes and made us remove any traces of mud/soil. First taste of really cold gassy US beer at that airport, not nice.
I remember having to walk through a footbath at SFB during the UK foot & mouth outbreak.

Mick
Old 28 Jun 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
justus2again
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
Me too, I can still see that holding room in my mind’s eye because we stopped there a quite few times. As a tall family, I also remember better seat pitches (more legroom) even in economy in those days!
I remember refuelling in bangor our first trip back in 1990 first time abroad and it was full of snow thinking oh gosh thought it was going to be hot being naive remember the holding room and thinking it was an airport couldn't believe it when we landed in orlando and it was full sun that was a few times ago now and it was our first trip had many more now. we also remember the $2 to the £1 happy days but even at today's prices i still cant think of a place i would be happier going to
2005 southern dunes 2007 legacy park 2007 southern dunes 2008 lake Wilson 2009 southern dunes 2010 Hampton lakes 2011 greater groves 2012 Windsor palms 2013 southern dunes 2014 vista park 2015 villa Lindfields 2016 west haven villa 2017 acorn villa 2018 villa silver creek 2019 champions gate 2020 2021 the years of no go 2022 all booked for this year

Edited at 01:57 PM.
justus2again is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Last September I used my virgin miles & I was charged £35! Kept expecting an email to say it was an error.
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List