Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 29 Jan 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looking for help buying a new PC

Hi guys

Our home PC is now about seven years old and looking to buy a new one - we use it for internet, emailing, catch up TV, some games (nothing very graphic intensive) and are used to Windows 10.

We have a monitor which is okay but seen some packages include a new one.

We have also seen all in one PC's, worth a look?

We have a budget of £350 - £400.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what we should be looking for and also on a good retailer to use?

Thank you!

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I am not very knowledgeable on the best PC to buy, but I would avoid PC world and Currys and look at John Lewis who have a good selection with a standard 2 year warranty (one year most other stores) and have better aftersales than the stores I've mentioned.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

If your happy with your monitor as is then Box.co.uk would be a good bet they're mainly office machines; so base units without monitors

box/HP-290-G3-8VR5...-_2842893.html

Fits into your budget and should cope with everything listed

If you can't find anything at Box then I suggest the Dell outlet
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Before buying anything new consider a few things. Based on what you are using it for why do you need a new one? Is just slow to load or is it no longer able to run the new features you want to use.
When buying a new one if gaming is not key then many of the machines on the market will do the basic with little issue.
The options are desktop (box & separate monitor), all in one (screen and processor in one neat box), Laptop. Consider where you will use it, you may decide a laptop is better, but if you are getting a laptop make sure it has an output to add a screen , this way you can treat it like a desktop if you change your mind.
If you want to be able upgrade in the future then a desktop maybe best, but from what you've said I don't think changing parts is your thing.
As for who to buy from , putting customer service to the side I would have no issue buying from PC world as you can see what your getting (once the stores reopen), They do have some good offers, but so do ebuyer, scan etc. Or if you a costco member they do some good machines.
Lastly if its just slow to slow and you hear the harddrive all the time, you could actually just replace the harddrive with an SSD (1Tb £90). I just did this on an all in one we have had since windows 10 came out and now if boots in less then 10 seconds and webpages open seamlessly.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thank you guys!
kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List