Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Who is your insurance with?
Usually insurance to countries on the FCO warning list is only covered for essential travel and not holidays. Also often only cover Europe travel.
I personally wouldn't travel to the US while on amber unless I had clear written statement from my insurers that they will cover a holiday.
Barclays. It usually invalidates just the cancellation portion of a policy, but you are covered for medical. I took mine out years ago though, so it"s possible that new policies are different. I know they no longer sell my policy.
Gelatoni is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Whoppery5k
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Delta is in almost 100 countries, UK, US, and most of Europe.
This is one cat that's not going in the bag, so we know 2 shots offers a lot of protection and the UK and USA are at the 50% mark for the adult population.
So we ether wait till it hits 75% (which the us won't) or accept the levels we have now are about as good as we will get them.
Had the numbers wanting a Vax dropped off in the UK I think we would have opened up this Monday but people really do want to get jabbed.
So it does make sense we hold on 4 more weeks.
I see no reason not to open the airlines to America.
Whoppery5k is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
This is what I don't understand, we're not the only country with it. The US already has it and the CDC have voiced their concerns over it.

If fully vaccinated people are travelling between various countries then the risk is significantly reduced. 16 months of this, time to move forward now.
While we are not the only country who has it, we are the country with the highest number of cases outside of India.
No one can be surprised if the US and EU keep us out until our cases start declining and quite rightly so.

Edited at 10:46 AM.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Cypressgdnjg
Getting to know the DIBB

This is the issue isn’t it, unfortunately whilst a vaccine may reduce viral loads you could still be a carrier - hence countries with low levels of delta may well decide allowing UK tourism is not a risk worth taking until they have their own populations vaccinated
Cypressgdnjg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

It is worth reiterating here that we are testing hugely more people than many counties including the USA. If death rates are anything to go by (which they are) there are a lot more cases around in the USA which are not being picked up.

Jonathan posted this link for me a while back which shows the testing numbers.

ourworldindata/grapher/f...ountry=GBR~USA

Maybe explains why USA rates have been 'falling' whilst ours have been 'rising'?

Surely this will be taken into account when decisions are being made and so we shouldn't put to much emphasis on the case numbers?
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyYoda View Post
It is worth reiterating here that we are testing hugely more people than many counties including the USA. If death rates are anything to go by (which they are) there are a lot more cases around in the USA which are not being picked up.

Jonathan posted this link for me a while back which shows the testing numbers.

ourworldindata/grapher/f...ountry=GBR~USA

Maybe explains why USA rates have been 'falling' whilst ours have been 'rising'?

Surely this will be taken into account when decisions are being made and so we shouldn't put to much emphasis on the case numbers?
I agree. It’s a shame this was not made clearer to the general public as I don’t think it is. It makes us look so bad when in reality we probably are in a similar situation to other countries who aren’t testing as much.

That graph posted by Jonathan is the graph that should be printed in the newspapers.

Just got to hope that the cases are flattening and will start to reduce soon. 🤞🏼

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Ooberjay
Excited about Disney

With the rates as they are in both countries and both have genome sequencing in place, if we are to learn to live with the virus. Opening up a corridor between US and UK makes perfect sense. Of course politicians don't follow sense 🙄
Ooberjay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Remember a travel insurance policy is for one year only, if they change their T&Cs then you will get these the following renewal. Even travel insurance provided via your bank account is for a 1 year period and auto renewed.
If your policy is no longer sold, they can still change the T&Cs each renewal year.

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Barclays. It usually invalidates just the cancellation portion of a policy, but you are covered for medical. I took mine out years ago though, so it"s possible that new policies are different. I know they no longer sell my policy.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Countries have spent millions on vaccinations so they wont want to let any variant in that could possibly be vaccine resistant (well apart from the UK letting in everyone).
The UK seems to be the first to jump and announce to the world the moment a new variant is discovered in the country.

Originally Posted by Cypressgdnjg View Post
This is the issue isn’t it, unfortunately whilst a vaccine may reduce viral loads you could still be a carrier - hence countries with low levels of delta may well decide allowing UK tourism is not a risk worth taking until they have their own populations vaccinated
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Keegan
Apprentice Imagineer

Not sure if anyone is due to fly from Manchester with Aer Lingus but all flights are cancelled till end of September. I've just put a new thread up to make people aware.
Keegan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List