Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

American's love of the second amendment is obsessive. They are indoctrinated and know no different. Most law enforcement officers we've come across here didn't know that police officers in the UK don't routinely carry guns. They are incredulous and usually ask how offenders are arrested without a gun. They can't see the correlation between the higher rate of law enforcement deaths and the gun culture.

As a Brit I can't fathom it but it is what it is, so we fit in.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
It’s only when I read threads like this that I worry about guns! Never crosses my mind when I’m there and never once worried about it. Nor will I.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Because it’s a way of life for them

I’ve friends over there that have concealed gun permits so pretty much always have them with them . Doesn’t bother me when we are with them or in their homes

Popping into Walmart might be something they do on the way from elsewhere

They believe they have the right to defend their property / themselves .

I know of someone who’s very wealthy over there who shot at 4 would be burglars who were armed and breaking into his property . He believes ( right or wrong ) he and his wife wouldn’t be here today had he not had his own gun .

Most shootings are domestic related ,

Rarely ( thankfully ) is a tourist a victim.

I can’t see gun laws changing their anytime soon .

Knife crime bothers me far more here , than guns do over there .
Exactly, which is why things will never change. It's their right to bear arms and all that. I still find it crazy. I agree with having the right to defend your home and family, it's one thing to keep a gun in your house for protection but it's quite different to just walk around with one. I have friends in Florida and even they don't get it, they don't own any guns at all.

Guns definitely scare me more than knives do. You can take out many people from a distance with a gun, a knife has the same advantages thankfully.

Edited at 08:56 PM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We visited KSC with friends , both retired ,it did feel a bit freaky that there was a gun in the glove box (left in the car when we went into KSC). Both visited the range regularly just to make sure they were still competent with their guns (personal one each plus at least one more at home ) , bit like going to get an MOT or a dental check up. That kind of ordinary.
There was some kind of query with their HMO and residents who had guns but as my friend casually said “we both have FBI clearance due to hubby’s job anyway” LOL
Someone asked , why would you need a gun to go to Walmart, I guess carjackings can happen anywhere

Edited at 09:04 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

It might be different for me having grown up in Northern Ireland where the police are armed and family members served but I never worry about guns. There are some Americans that are obsessed With guns but the majority see them as a necessary tool just like a hammer or a torch. I have been shooting over there and met some nice people at the range. We live in a tiny country but if I lived somewhere where the nearest police station is 60 miles away I would have a gun too.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The USA is living in strange and accelerating, worrying times.

I fear that a ‘limited’ civil war’ based on racial lines may well explode in the USA. Politicians/ agitators such as Trump, Sharpton and Jackson on either side of the divide as well as the Media are fanning the flames of discontent and there is imho a possibility that things could boil over. ‘Take it because you deserve it’ can never be a good message to the uneducated hordes. Rather than running to the Supermarkets for food, it is notable that rioters target training shoes, LED Televisions and other luxury goods, whilst destroying everything in their path.
We have already seen inner city unrest and even an invasion of sacred ground.. the White House.

I believe in protecting my family and what is mine by any means necessary and proportionate, up to and including extreme force. Even in the U.K and as a retired Police Officer. I very nearly lost my job and career when a little scrote stole my car radio around 1991. I no longer have great confidence in the Police to protect either my property or my family and am certain that were I to be shot in my home with the intruder still possibly in the area, I would have decomposed before our firearms team had been assembled, briefed, risk assessment carried out and then entry gained. Fortunately, gun crime is rare (but not absent) in Cornwall. (The Winnards Perch murders spring to mind and are an interesting Google).

A vicious dog? Firearms? I dislike/fear dogs and therefore it would be gun(s). Not that I would set out to use them initially, but as a weapon of last, appropriate and proportionate response, should it become necessary.
My home would also be alarmed to the hilt and if anybody sought to Nick the pedal cycles in my garage, then they could stand by for ‘.effective enemy fire’… two shots, one effective and the second into the garage roof as a ‘warning shot’.
Along with the firearms would come appropriate training in safety, shooting accurately and most of all, law relating to proportionality of response to all family members.

I would not be ‘packing heat’ (as in ‘Hot Fuzz) at WDW as I do not visit. I would not at any other Attraction either, leaving it secure in the car and trusting in gate security.. where every visitor should be subject of airport security style X Ray.. without taking off belt etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:35 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Every time this subject comes up I think of the Dunblane massacre and I am thankful that people in this country are not allowed guns to protect their property. Sixteen little children dead along with their teacher and many injured. Nothing is worth that.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Every time this subject comes up I think of the Dunblane massacre and I am thankful that people in this country are not allowed guns to protect their property. Sixteen little children dead along with their teacher and many injured.
Do you really believe that there are few/no guns in this country, simply because possession is unlawful?

Please don’t think that either IRA or UDF etc deactivated all their weapons in Northern Ireland either. Apart from anything else, such is the level of distrust that the good stuff will have been merely stored. The ‘rubbish’ would have been destroyed.

They are.. in quantity and almost invariably in criminal hands. Our borders leak like a sieve and that, nobody can deny.

I fully agree with the stance of thie U.K. on firearms law and further, feel that the laws reflect the current risk to the safety of most amongst us. The laws keep quick access away from lunatics such as M Ryan. If you hang around with dogs though, you can get fleas, even now after decades of strict gun control.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:13 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think it's only a matter of time before an "incidence"happens at WDW.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

People keep them in there glove boxes. They don’t go anywhere without a gun.
In the uk 20 years ago if someone wanted a fight we used our hands or feet but now I wouldn’t dare to stand up to anyone as they more likely be more of them nearby or they be carrying a weapon.

Edited at 10:19 AM.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List