Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 29 Jul 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Orlando Weather and Busy Disney

Not being able to go this year (and last) has made me watch a lot of Disney youtubers.
I am very familiar with Orlando weather but it has surprised me how bad its been this year, even many of the youtubers have commented how bad the weather has been.

I have also noticed how busy the parks have been even compared to usual. It seems that with no fast passes the queues have been wild. Two channels showed the recent space mountain queue looping around tomorrow land. With no social distancing in the queues at present, and we all know how long the space mountain queue is just indoors, this must have been a 2 hour queue.

Obviously Disney Park capacity has been raised to max.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
popsiwinkle
Excited about Disney

Non Disney I know but Comcast had their earnings call for the theme parks division today and Alicia Stella on Twitter (a journalist) reported that from the call for Q2 that "Orlando parks attendance pretty close to pre-pandemic 2019 levels, despite no international guests." It's also their first profitable quarter since the pandemic began, against despite no international guests with strong results in Orlando. So it suggests that things are going pretty well there at the moment.

I've also noticed the weather on some bloggers videos, I suspect we'll have to start reconsidering what 'normal' weather is for the seasons soon as things change!
popsiwinkle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Funny you should post this as I just saw this photo

MK today
Old 29 Jul 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I saw that same vlog and the Space queue was insane. I suspect they were only running one of the tracks. Whenever a queue is massively longer than expected, it's usually that the capacity has been limited. This is true with or without fastpass.

But yes, it is VERY busy. Domestic travel is booming.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Rain and two hour queues - sounds like Alton Towers😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Yesterday, according the the DIBB's wait times page, the queue for Space Mountain never really got above 90 minutes. Although it was around that for most of the day. Meanwhile, only a 5 minute queue for Carousel of Progress!

According to the DIBB, in the last week, MK scores around a 5 out of 10 in terms of crowd level. Although I think there's something a bit wrong with the calculation since the parks reopened.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yesterday, according the the DIBB's wait times page, the queue for Space Mountain never really got above 90 minutes. Although it was around that for most of the day. Meanwhile, only a 5 minute queue for Carousel of Progress!

According to the DIBB, in the last week, MK scores around a 5 out of 10 in terms of crowd level. Although I think there's something a bit wrong with the calculation since the parks reopened.
Crowd calculation is a funny one at the moment. Because some of the big crowd eaters (e.g. shows) haven't reopened yet, the parks look busier than they are because there's less places for them to go.

Definitely not a 5 though. Touring Plans has the actual at a 7 for yesterday. And an average Space wait of 87 minutes. 7DMT peaked at 125 posted, with a 97 min average.

Edited at 06:15 PM.
Old 29 Jul 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

It might quiten down a bit when international tourism opens up.

I think a lot of US citizens will stay away, thinking it will be even busier with added tourists.

That’s what I’ve been trying to do, Tick off uk attractions before the international tourists come back.

Makes sense in my head anyway!
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AJ86 View Post
It might quiten down a bit when international tourism opens up.

I think a lot of US citizens will stay away, thinking it will be even busier with added tourists.

That’s what I’ve been trying to do, Tick off uk attractions before the international tourists come back.

Makes sense in my head anyway!
I like your thought process, but most US citizens aren't thinking about international crowds when they plan their domestic trips. Big percentage don't even know we're not permitted to travel there at the moment.

International visitors make up such a small percentage of Florida tourism (roughly 10%, with UK being around 1%) that there'll be no noticeable impact to crowd levels once we can travel again.
Old 30 Jul 21, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post
jonathan
VIP Dibber

We are here at the moment and were at Universal Monday/Tuesday, staying one night at the Portofino. The hotel did not seem busy but my goodness the parks feel packed, we are used to being here in the summer and whilst you would not say it's quiet it's not like spring break/Easter. Hogsmeade at IOA was just crazy, wall to wall people. Given cases are surging here we are wearing masks inside and in busy areas like that. In the line at Hagrids some people did make a loud comment about "why would you wear a mask". In other places mask wearing is much better, maybe at 50% - of course you don't have to wear one if vaccinated but at the moment it seems prudent to. The hospitals here are saying they are very busy.

We have adjusted our plans a bit and dropped MK. We will go to Epcot but mainly we want food and wine so will be outside.

Weather wise Tuesday's humidity was draining, today was nice this morning but we had rain at 3 which was to be expected but there was an awful lot - 5 hours later and it's still going a bit. I have had a hose draining water out the pool for 3 hours now as it was full to the top! It does not feel quite as hot as some other summers.

Very true on Americans not knowing about the travel ban, I have spoke to a few people about it and they just seem confused.

Jonathan

---
44 trips from 2000 onwards.
jonathan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List