Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
One of the things that surprised me was seeing some people on Facebook saying that they've now booked a holiday to Florida from early November after hearing this news. But, as mentioned above, I didn't think they'd mentioned exactly when the borders would open, just that it was sometime in November. People just seemed to be assume it would be from the start of November for some reason.

Hopefully people won't be disappointed if they confirm that the border will open on the 29th Nov (for example).
For myself, I've been keeping an eye on what Jon Sopel, the BBC journalist that broke the story on Monday, as being my diviner of truth. He also added that the 1st is what they're aiming for. "Aiming" being the operative word, naturally.

Reading between the lines a bit, Virgin's website says "from November". Careful language used there for sure but "from" would suggest the beginning of the month.

But to go booking on the back of it being the 1st or 'early' is a bit premature. I'm already booked for the 6th, so I have a vested interest in it being 'early'. Obviously, I'm pinning my hopes on it being the 1st, too. And it's a Monday, so that also has some weight to it too, maybe!

I'm optimistic, but cautious. I'm hoping that the 1st is the date. Everything seems to point to that, but naturally, I am biased to that effect!

Edited at 11:13 AM.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
One of the things that surprised me was seeing some people on Facebook saying that they've now booked a holiday to Florida from early November after hearing this news. But, as mentioned above, I didn't think they'd mentioned exactly when the borders would open, just that it was sometime in November. People just seemed to be assume it would be from the start of November for some reason.

Hopefully people won't be disappointed if they confirm that the border will open on the 29th Nov (for example).
Yes, we've done that but we know that we can just move our paid for flight if we need to. I'd like to go on the 4th of November but if we can't we'll move it.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Just spoke to an interesting character, a young early 20 something employee, at a testing site, please don't take what I'm saying as gospel because it is clearly a load of rubbish I just thought it was funny.

I enquired about what tests US citizens were getting as they pass through this particular location and she immediately said that only LAMP because America won't accept anything less "apparently America is saying that they aren't happy with Antigen and PCR, PCR have been banned everywhere in America"

Her colleague who was closer to my age kept side eying her and rolling her eyes. I pulled the CDC website up and said "oh that's funny...says differently here" to which she responded that "well that's what everyone is saying".

Her colleague couldn't help herself and asked where she was getting her info to which we got the response..."A post on Instagram"

Colleague's eye roll was not subtle at all as we both laughed, I did feel a bit bad laughing as the girl was adamant she was right and Instagram was the best place for the info. I just walked away as I heard her colleague saying the girl needs to start getting her info away from social media.

Just goes to show don't trust anything you read, hear or see unless it is from an official source, not even test centre staff at the front of the lines (who are only employed to make bookings) don't even have the right advice.

The best thing she could have done was defer me to the Gov or CDC websites but chose to pass on misinformation as if it was fact.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

I hope they just accept the Chronomics test which you take yourself and just upload the results.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
americanv8
Apprentice Imagineer

americanv8's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Andy View Post
No, I think it's within 3 days of leaving for Orlando.
It's within 72 hours of landing in the country. We've just done it for Lanzarote this year, same principle.
americanv8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by ghostmark2005 View Post
The best thing she could have done was defer me to the Gov or CDC websites but chose to pass on misinformation as if it was fact.
It's shocking isn't it - earlier in the year an employee at the Edinburgh airport test centre attempted to 'upsell' my dad (a US citizen) to a PCR rather than the LFT he had booked, insisting that the LFT would not be accepted for his flight back to the US.

He stood his ground and insisted the LFT be done as booked, which was of course fine.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike

Originally Posted by americanv8 View Post
It's within 72 hours of landing in the country. We've just done it for Lanzarote this year, same principle.
No, that is not quite the case for the US, it's within 3 CALENDAR DAYS of your flight's DEPARTURE. See my post on the previous page - if you get on a flight bound for the US on a Friday, a test at ANY TIME on the preceding Tuesday is good enough. Not a strict 72 hours and not related to landing time. Directly from the CDC:

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?
The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

Edited at 12:46 PM.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disneymike View Post
No, it is not for the US, it's within 3 CALENDAR DAYS of your flight's DEPARTURE. See my post on the previous page - if you get on a flight bound for the US on a Friday, a test at ANY TIME on the preceding Tuesday is good enough. Not a strict 72 hours and not related to landing time. Directly from the CDC:
The test centre kept telling me this as well, and I had to point out it actually says in their FAQs the 72 hours has been dropped to allow more flexibility for travellers so it is now 3 Calendar days.

They LITERALLY quote this on the CDC and give a brilliant example -

"flying on Friday? You can test on the preceding Tuesday"

They are actually quite clear on there and very helpful, I just wish more people would fact check on CDC before being blinded by misinformation and then passing it on as if fact, which then causes other people to pass it on as fact. I don't think people are stupid or idiots for doing it, I just feel bad that they're potentially stressing themselves out and getting upset and anxious over it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike

Originally Posted by ghostmark2005 View Post
They are actually quite clear on there and very helpful, I just wish more people would fact check on CDC before being blinded by misinformation and then passing it on as if fact, which then causes other people to pass it on as fact. I don't think people are stupid or idiots for doing it, I just feel bad that they're potentially stressing themselves out and getting upset and anxious over it.
Totally agree, it's the same with the whole AstraZeneca vaccine furore - the fact AZ is considered 'fully vaccinated' for travel regulations has been on the CDC website since the start of 2021, but the 'will AZ be OK' chat comes back again and again and again, and the media, even the BBC gets in on it, which is maddening.
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by americanv8 View Post
It's 3 days before, you need to provide proof of the test before they'll let you on the plane