Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 21, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Lol, there's a reason that school French (and other languages) starts off teaching you how to do greetings and then goes onto tourist phrases. We do try and DH is better than me, and also braver! We have found DLP one of the least tolerant places, including Paris. Quebec was a whole different ball game and we didn't have a chance with their French

My Italian class was my saviour during lockdown. I had been going to the Centre for Lifelong Learning at my local uni, and very quickly they went over to all zoom classes so we were back running by May last year. It's a great way to meet people, though my Italian is still pidgin. Just about to start my 4th year of learning, still on zoom, but some of us meet up for a coffee now (where no Italian is spoken!)
Old 14 Sep 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Privateer
Earning More Ears

I studied French in school over 40 years ago and gave it up as soon as I could. In those days the emphasis was on being able to read and write French with correct spelling (including diacritical marks aka accents) and grammar. We hardly ever did conversational French, yet that is the way most people learn a language.

Once a week we had to do French dictation and at the end, you'd swap with the pupil next to you and mark their work. You started with 100 marks and lost one mark for every spelling mistake or incorrect use of a diacritical mark). I was so bad at French (at the time my written English wasn't much better) that the wag who marked my work would give me a minus score. The teacher would then call out your name and the person who marked your work would shout out your score - it was so embarrassing to have my score shouted out! In the end, I would just sit there with my arms folded and do nothing on the basis that a mark of zero was better than a minus score!

Although that was 40 years ago I do have a smattering of schoolboy French. I would try to speak some French in DLP and the hotels and would get help from my wife as she spoke Spanish and studied French literature for a term at university.

I found that certainly within DLP the vast majority of CMs would speak English. Once I tried to buy a couple of ice creams and the CM switched from excellent French to English with a heavy Yorkshire accent - that was a surreal moment.

If you go to a hotel outside of DLP that isn't affiliated with Disney then some of the staff may not speak English but it's amazing how much you can communicate by using a smile! However, in DLP you will be OK with no knowledge of French.

Edited at 12:12 PM.
Privateer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Google translate, talk into your phone says the French phase back.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Olivia

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Google translate, talk into your phone says the French phase back.
Only good if you understand or can repeat what theyíve said to you, which was my issue 😆
Old 14 Sep 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Only good if you understand or can repeat what theyíve said to you, which was my issue 😆
Yes this is true, Iím not too bad. I know enough to ask for things which is enough.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
leanne1302
Trying for More Ears

You don't "need" it but it's nice to see people attempt a few words. Even if they are just Bonjour or Merci
leanne1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I think Iíd like to try communicate in French (a few phrases not for the whole time 😂 ) whilst there.

What do you wish you had been able to say in French that would have been helpful?
Old 25 Sep 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Iíve just downloaded duo lingo (free). Itís really good, enjoying it so far. Might do a paid one if I keep it up.
Old 25 Sep 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Iíve just downloaded duo lingo (free). Itís really good, enjoying it so far. Might do a paid one if I keep it up.
I have taken steps too.

Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Olivia

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I think Iíd like to try communicate in French (a few phrases not for the whole time 😂 ) whilst there.

What do you wish you had been able to say in French that would have been helpful?

Real basics that Iíd learnt a long time ago - numbers! As they told us the number to stand on so I would quickly count in my head lol
And just a general understanding as it was more them asking me things rather than me asking them
But honestly donít worry it was absolutely fine and we managed 😆