Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 7 Apr 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Villa Refund - Big Surprise

Spoke to my rental villa owner a couple of weeks ago and, reluctantly, cancelled my trip. Was due to go early May, and there was no way that was going to happen. I had paid in full and asked for my security deposit and pool heat cost to be refunded. The lovely owner has refunded the toal amount I had paid! Thank you, and have no doubt I will rebook when this hellish situation returns to some normality.
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

We were also pleasantly surprised when we got a 100% refund for our villa. Like you we had paid in full and as per the cancellation policy had requested the 50% refund we were entitled to. We were going to quibble with the travel insurance to try & get the other 50% back but when we checked the total paid had been refunded in full. We have been to this villa before and will now rebook as soon as we know a bit more about the travel situation.
Have to say we have been pleased with the response not only of the villa owners but also BA & Attraction Tickets, all of whom have been on the ball and more than fair, meaning we are only a bit out of pocket and don’t need to further hurt the insurance companies by making a claim.

Edited at 10:38 AM.
Worgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mj1980
Trading Disney Pins

You’ve done good there, our villa owner who only lives 2 miles away was recommended by a family member hasn’t given us a penny back but he has wrote us a letter to try to get our money back off our insurance. No offer to change dates, I think when we rebook our trip I will go through a hire company that have free cancellations or date change.
Mj1980 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

We were due to fly home today. two villas were booked. One, American owned, gave us an immediate full refund without quibble. The other, British owned, gave us a refund of security deposit plus pool heat and cleaning, leaving us to claim £1600 from our insurance (hopefully)
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our Vista cay condo balance (50% of total cost) booked through home & away is due today. Home & away have sent several reminders, each one followed by email from lovely owner saying don't pay and we will be refunding your deposit.
Will certainly book with them again.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mj1980
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by prugone View Post
We were due to fly home today. two villas were booked. One, American owned, gave us an immediate full refund without quibble. The other, British owned, gave us a refund of security deposit plus pool heat and cleaning, leaving us to claim £1600 from our insurance (hopefully)
Ours was British owned and also a family member of mine who was going with us hasn’t had a refund on their British owned villa either. I know it’s hard times for everyone and some villa owners are great but there’s a few owners out there who don’t care.
Old 9 Apr 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I'm not a villa owner but it is difficult for owners who are running on empty and have spent the money!

I think this is now a consideration for villa bookings, its unchartered territory for some owners and some renters.

Maybe there should be a list of good villa owners in the same way as there is a thread for good companies?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mj1980 View Post
Ours was British owned and also a family member of mine who was going with us hasn’t had a refund on their British owned villa either. I know it’s hard times for everyone and some villa owners are great but there’s a few owners out there who don’t care.

Hi, if you have paid by debit card ask your bank to proceed with a ‘charge back’ for services/goods not received.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I feel so sorry for villa owners who are in this position. Little revenue coming in and having to provide refunds.

I think they should, at the minimum abide by the terms and conditions of their contracts. It is up to us to read and make sure that we read these in sufficient detail that we know what the rules are in normal times not just uncharted territory and make sure we have adequate and appropriate insurance in place.

I make this point as somebody who has just learnt this the hard way but with a short non-us booking so feeling a bit of a sore point 😟. Will certainly be paying extra extra care with t&C's and insurance terms in the future. Fruitless chasing and poor communication have not improved my humour.

Those villa owners who have gone over and above this have really been very generous indeed. Good on them. 👏👏👏

Edited at 01:07 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mj1980
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Hi, if you have paid by debit card ask your bank to proceed with a ‘charge back’ for services/goods not received.
Unfortunately as the owner only lived a couple miles away we sent a Cheque in the post. I feel sorry for all the owners who are loosing out on income but but that’s the gamble of owning a villa, the gamble shouldn’t be on the holiday makers.