Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 May 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Laptop / tablet advice please!

Hi guys

My laptop is starting to slow down and I'm looking for a replacement, happy to consider a refurbished one. Looking for W10, will be used to email, internet, light gaming, stream etc, nothing very intensive. Ideally at least a 14 inch screen. Any advice on suppliers etc?

Also, I've not had an IPad before as always used Android ones, just wondering whether to try an IPad as also looking for a nw tablet, again happy to consider refurbished, Needing at least a 9.7 inch screen.

Many thanks.
Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

We’re an Apple household all the way. I can’t really offer advice on the laptop (we’ve got a MacBook but it’s not used for gaming) but - having had android tablets and iPads- I’d never go back to android as the iPads are so reliable and so intuitive.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Have a look for refurbed lenovo think pads - I could play sims 4 on my t430, anything with an i5 and 8gb of ram would handle most lighter games i have a new Lenovo e15 for work - it’s a very nice machine, works really well for work stuff, nice and quick (not allowed to game though!)

As for tablets I am a iPad gal all the way, the new ones are beaut - I have an old pro9.7 and it still works well after 5 years! (Though the battery has started to go in the last year)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
We’re an Apple household all the way. I can’t really offer advice on the laptop (we’ve got a MacBook but it’s not used for gaming) but - having had android tablets and iPads- I’d never go back to android as the iPads are so reliable and so intuitive.
Same - laptops and ipads - exceptional service, durability in our experience over 10+ years. Stress free - can't believe the hassle I had with laptops over the years...well worht the extra IMO
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

personally, i'm a mac user nowadays (two top end i7 mac minis (2011/2018), a 2014 macbook pro and a 2020 m1 macbook air), but you can get some very nice refurbished lenovo laptops... couple of years old, taken from corporate users, so most are in pretty good condition. i'd go for a T460 or newer or an x260 if you want an ultraportable. loads of places have them, ive got a t480s at the moment, and it would be more then powerful enough for general usage.

(avoid the L series though, they are cheap and nasty in comparison)

Edited at 01:37 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Also #TeamApple.

This house has three MacBook Pros, a Mac Mini, an iPad and three iPhones.

I'd pick up an M1 MacBook Air from the Apple refurb store. Once you've had Mac, you never go back.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

An all Apple household here too. We have 4 iPhones, 4 iPads and 3 MacBook Airs and a MacBook Pro. I use quite a lot of design and rendering software on mine and it handles it perfectly. I certainly wouldn't ever move away from Apple now.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Basset
Imagineer

Mac stuff is very expensive... BUT integrates with across the platform very very well.

I bought MacBook 6 years ago and it's been flawless until I spilt some pop on it. Windows laptops you tend to get about 18 months out of them before they slow down.

The new Apple laptops have a M1 chip so there are some offers going round on the stock of the older ones.

You can sometimes get some decent deals on Windows and Apple laptops on the currys clearance store on Ebay.
Basset is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a Lenovo laptop and tablet. I don't do Apple as it's too restrictive. I want to decide for myself how my kit is configured. Also, having used it as part of my job I wasn't impressed with the robustness and reliability. My tablet is a couple of years old now but wasn't expensive at about £200. I surf the net, play games, learn German and watch movies on it.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

OP, what do you mean by light gaming? Can you give some examples.

If really light gaming then a laptop with an Intel i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 1080p screen, 8Gb RAM, SSD drive and a dedicated graphics card with 4Gb ram.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List