Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 21, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridababy16
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by steel1203 View Post
Hi that’s good to hear - did you do it via Invisalign and they are £2k more than smile direct club?
I decided to go with a local Orthodontists. I needed my brace to do quite a bit of movement and this was the best route for me. When the work is complete and Im almost there, I will have a permanent retainer fixed to the back of my teeth as over time they will move back to their original positions. I can't believe the change in them already, chuffed to bits. Good luck with your happy smile journey
Floridababy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
My friend took smile direct to court and had a huge pay out, his mouth was wrecked and he is still undergoing further treatment to fix the problems they caused. With smile direct you never actually see a dentist but they are sent your pictures etc, with Invisalign you are seen and treated by a dentist
Old 22 Sep 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I actually had Invisalign for a couple of years but it couldn't correct my bite even after refinements - so after discussion with my orthodontist I actually switched to braces. Currently on braces and hopefully it is just for a few months!

I kind of wish I had gone for braces in the first place as I would have been done by now! Plus I currently have the tooth coloured ceramic brackets and they're not as glaringly obvious as the traditional metal brackets. I've had several meals with people who have yet to notice that I have braces!

Anyway just a quick list of Invisalign vs braces pros and cons as far as my experience goes:

Invisalign pros:
- Way more comfortable than braces, no poking wires/etc
- No limits on what I can eat, no issues with stuff sticking in wires
- Not really very visible at all so no issues with smiling etc

Invisalign cons:
- Price
- Takes time to get the aligner trays (so quite a bit of waiting time)
- Couldn't fix my bite, unfortunately!
- Annoying when eating out - lots of taking out trays, brushing teeth, etc in public restrooms. I did a WDW trip with Invisalign a couple of years ago and it was frustrating that I couldn't snack as much as I wanted to during the trip because I was always so worried about how long my trays had been out.

Braces pros:
- So far it seems like it is fixing my bite much faster, I definitely see more teeth movement...
- Price
- I no longer have to time how long I take to eat, and can slowly enjoy a coffee or similar which I couldn't really do with Invisalign!
- No need to keep taking out trays and brushing in public restrooms - I cannot state how amazing this is, I can now go out for meals without having to deal with this.

Braces cons:
- Definitely less comfortable, I needed lots of dental wax my first couple of weeks with braces because it was so uncomfortable!
- To add on to the less comfortable - after each visit to the orthodontist my teeth feel really really uncomfortable (way more than with Invisalign) so I have to avoid hard foods for a few days after. Had this a bit with Invisalign but not quite as bad!
- Way harder to brush/floss, I had to go get a water floss and special dental floss for braces. Whereas with Invisalign I just used regular floss!
- I have to avoid some food like popcorn because they will just get completely stuck in my teeth/wires
- More obvious than Invisalign. Not such a huge issue at the moment for me though as I live somewhere where masks are still compulsory, plus ceramic braces helps with this!
Old 22 Sep 21, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
steel1203
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I actually had Invisalign for a couple of years but it couldn't correct my bite even after refinements - so after discussion with my orthodontist I actually switched to braces. Currently on braces and hopefully it is just for a few months!

I kind of wish I had gone for braces in the first place as I would have been done by now! Plus I currently have the tooth coloured ceramic brackets and they're not as glaringly obvious as the traditional metal brackets. I've had several meals with people who have yet to notice that I have braces!

Anyway just a quick list of Invisalign vs braces pros and cons as far as my experience goes:

Invisalign pros:
- Way more comfortable than braces, no poking wires/etc
- No limits on what I can eat, no issues with stuff sticking in wires
- Not really very visible at all so no issues with smiling etc

Invisalign cons:
- Price
- Takes time to get the aligner trays (so quite a bit of waiting time)
- Couldn't fix my bite, unfortunately!
- Annoying when eating out - lots of taking out trays, brushing teeth, etc in public restrooms. I did a WDW trip with Invisalign a couple of years ago and it was frustrating that I couldn't snack as much as I wanted to during the trip because I was always so worried about how long my trays had been out.

Braces pros:
- So far it seems like it is fixing my bite much faster, I definitely see more teeth movement...
- Price
- I no longer have to time how long I take to eat, and can slowly enjoy a coffee or similar which I couldn't really do with Invisalign!
- No need to keep taking out trays and brushing in public restrooms - I cannot state how amazing this is, I can now go out for meals without having to deal with this.

Braces cons:
- Definitely less comfortable, I needed lots of dental wax my first couple of weeks with braces because it was so uncomfortable!
- To add on to the less comfortable - after each visit to the orthodontist my teeth feel really really uncomfortable (way more than with Invisalign) so I have to avoid hard foods for a few days after. Had this a bit with Invisalign but not quite as bad!
- Way harder to brush/floss, I had to go get a water floss and special dental floss for braces. Whereas with Invisalign I just used regular floss!
- I have to avoid some food like popcorn because they will just get completely stuck in my teeth/wires
- More obvious than Invisalign. Not such a huge issue at the moment for me though as I live somewhere where masks are still compulsory, plus ceramic braces helps with this!
Thanks Sky - think I am moving towards the ceramic brace and your post has helped focus my mind as I am all over the place. The online Smile option is out of the running
steel1203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 04:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by steel1203 View Post
Thanks Sky - think I am moving towards the ceramic brace and your post has helped focus my mind as I am all over the place. The online Smile option is out of the running
What has your dentist advised? I found our dentist fantastic at giving us all the options and prices versus results of each method.

So far we have had 2 x adults Invisalign, 3 x teens standard braces and 1 x teen had hospital referred treatment (poor thing has had various braces on for over 6 years but will be finished soon). A good dentist/orthodontist is worth their weight in gold!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
steel1203
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
What has your dentist advised? I found our dentist fantastic at giving us all the options and prices versus results of each method.

So far we have had 2 x adults Invisalign, 3 x teens standard braces and 1 x teen had hospital referred treatment (poor thing has had various braces on for over 6 years but will be finished soon). A good dentist/orthodontist is worth their weight in gold!
I was a bit disappointed with the first orthodontist I went to as they were a bit poor at giving options and said up to me regarding what option to go for …. Got an appointment with another orthodontist and the info everyone has given me is so helpful! Just back from 2nd orthodontist and so much better! Great consultation and £1k cheaper than original quote for Invisalign so going with them 👍

Edited at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typo
steel1203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List