Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 22, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
How ‘Disney Adults’ Became the Most Hated Group on the Internet

Well, that told us!

- On the internet, however, being a Disney adult is nothing short of an embarrassment.

- In my discussions with other Disney fans and experts, the word that kept coming up was, simply “cringe.” On its most basic level, it strikes outsiders as deeply embarrassing to throw oneself into a subculture ostensibly aimed at children — despite the fact that the Disney parks, as Walt Disney first conceived of them, were very much intended for people of all ages.

- Adding an extra layer of repulsion to outsiders, Disney adults’ ability to escape into this fantasy is almost entirely dependent on their ability to afford it. Given how expensive merch, park entry, and resort reservations are, with vacations costing thousands of dollars at a minimum, it requires a great deal of economic capital to devote oneself to the fandom. As a result, “you probably have a lot less white middle- to upper-class women in any of the other fandoms,” Mittermeier says. “There’s more Karens in the Disney fandom than others.”

Full article >>> rollingstone/culture...ernet-1370226/

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Brilliant 😂😂😂
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

I think there’s a personal threshold as to when fandom feels like it’s gone too far.

Some of my friends think my interest in WDW is a bit odd even though I only visit the place occasionally (about once a decade). I’d not think it odd when people visit a lot more than me but, if I’m being honest, I see some people’s seeming obsession with the place as a bit strange. They’ve gone past my own threshold, but it’s enitrely subjective. It’s a free choice for everyone as to how much they want to invest in the place.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Always feels normal to me Disney is wasted on kids

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

I love Disneyworld but I can take or leave the t shirts, home decor and characters , so not sure what kind of fan that makes me 😆
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mariechez View Post
Always feels normal to me Disney is wasted on kids
Absolutely agree! There should be a whole 2 months during the year when its adults only!

Its a Small world without screaming kids sounds heaven
Old 27 Jun 22, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There seems to be an awful lot of hatred, jealousy and time on their hands for the people who originated these internet posts. What the heck has is got to do with anybody else if adults enjoy Disney and the parks? Much of the younger generation ( not all obviously! 😊 ) have an enormous great chip on their shoulders!
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Dh showed me this the other day. Everyone who knows us knows we love going to Disney. Tough if they think we’re strange but they wouldn’t say it to our faces!

I was talking to my mum and dads electrician on Sunday about holidays.
My mum said how much we love Disney and he just got so engaged.
He went with his family ( wife and 2 girls), he said he was so sceptical but just found it the most amazing and emotional holiday. He said at the end his wife was saying ‘are you crying again’. He said it just made him think of his various memories from growing up.
I think that’s what we love, and the complete escapism for us.
Old 27 Jun 22, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

This is 100% the opinion of my brother in law. 😂😂
He thinks we’re chavs.
I don’t know that my nephew has ever seen a Disney film? Pretty sure he’s never seen Harry Potter either.

Anyway, I really don’t understand why anyone would be so invested in such dislike for what pleases other people. Unless of course it’s illegal or having an effect on them 🤷
Basically they need to lighten up and they really do need a little magic in their lives!
Nothing better than pure escapism

* I remember when we first took DS to WDW. OH was quite reluctant to queue for character meets deeming them ‘a bit weird’
I pointed out that if our 7YO wanted to meet Characters (which he did) then he had to suck it up and stop being a misery!
Well one hug from Mickey and suddenly my husband was all over character meets 😂 His face! Pure joy 😂 Although I’m not sure he’d do it without DS?

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973

Edited at 12:30 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MUAlumni
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
This is 100% the opinion of my brother in law. 😂😂
He thinks we’re chavs.
I don’t know that my nephew has ever seen a Disney film? Pretty sure he’s never seen Harry Potter either.
Chavs for going to Disney, I think I could name many more places I’d class as chavvy holiday before I ever even considered Disney being that

Edited at 06:22 PM.
MUAlumni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List