Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 4 Aug 22, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinniemum
Very Serious Dibber

Parosmia - anyone been in Orlando with this recently?

We travel on 15th August and my daughter is suffering with Parosmia since February. Long Covid symptom where her smell and taste is now distorted after losing it with Covid.

Basically lots of smells and tastes are horrendous to her and only a small amount of foods are tolerable.

We are just wondering how to work with this in the parks for lunches and snacks and whether anyone has been recently with this disorder and if the restaurants were sympathetic or not?

Thanks
Twinniemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Aww the poor thing, that must he hard work!
She may struggle. There's lots of different smells as you walk round the parks.
I don't really see how restaurants can do much as its normal cooking smells and food coming out to other customers.
We are in Key West at the moment and every bin you walk past stinks!
Could she wear a mask maybe? Might help a bit
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinniemum
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
Aww the poor thing, that must he hard work!
She may struggle. There's lots of different smells as you walk round the parks.
I don't really see how restaurants can do much as its normal cooking smells and food coming out to other customers.
We are in Key West at the moment and every bin you walk past stinks!
Could she wear a mask maybe? Might help a bit
Sorry I should have been more specific with the restaurants side. She can manage putting up with being in most restaurants if we are away from the kitchen areas. Just I was hoping we could order plain/bland dishes for her that we know she will eat... I'm thinking US are pretty good with managing allergies and food intolerances so hopefully this will work.

I'm just not sure about quick service lunches in the parks being as easy to navigate x
Twinniemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Ahh sorry, yes I misunderstood!
I think they will be fine. If it helps, my dd is 18 and anorexic so really struggles. Obviously too old for the kids menus officially but it's never been questioned.
Shes also often ordered a couple of side dishes so for instance a side of Mac and Cheese and a side of broccoli and that's been fine.
I'm sure if there's a pasta your dd fancies it could be adapted.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

You're better looking through menus and seeing what you would consider 'safe'. I wouldn't bet on quick service places doing anything off menu but table service would be able to be more accommodating.
SteveyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

On the disney app for preorder at quick service you could add or remove things to the burgers etc
Old 4 Aug 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

You've probably already thought of it, but finding places to eat with outside spaces might help a little?
Maybe some kind of material like a hankie with a scent on that she does like to smell when the other scents are too much?
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

My Dd has Parosmia and had it since Dec 2020 😭

We went to Florida in April. She managed to find something on most menus that she could manage. Margarita pizza and plant based burgers as long as there was NO onion anywhere near it. Also anything with garlic is a definite no no. (Onion and garlic are the worst!)

People with Parosmia have different triggers so along with the two mentioned Dd finds meat, coffee and milk chocolate horrible too but (white chocolate is fine) they are easily avoided. She tends to eat plain things and mild cheese is good so Mac and cheese is ok as long as it’s got no garlic. Fish seems to be ok too. So if your Dds ok with that then hopefully she’ll find options.

Dds favourite meals were the giant pizza and salad in via Napoli a fish sandwich in the boathouse, and the meal we had at bubba gumps because there’s a lot of fish. Sushi is good too. And she seems ok with sweets just not chocolate ones.

Hope that helps.

Kat

Edited at 01:19 PM.
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinniemum
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
You've probably already thought of it, but finding places to eat with outside spaces might help a little?
Maybe some kind of material like a hankie with a scent on that she does like to smell when the other scents are too much?
Actually yes outside dining would be much better for her. Stupidly I didn't think of that x
Old 4 Aug 22, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinniemum
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
My Dd has Parosmia and had it since Dec 2020 😭

We went to Florida in April. She managed to find something on most menus that she could manage. Margarita pizza and plant based burgers as long as there was NO onion anywhere near it. Also anything with garlic is a definite no no. (Onion and garlic are the worst!)

People with Parosmia have different triggers so along with the two mentioned Dd finds meat, coffee and milk chocolate horrible too but (white chocolate is fine) they are easily avoided. She tends to eat plain things and mild cheese is good so Mac and cheese is ok as long as it’s got no garlic. Fish seems to be ok too. So if your Dds ok with that then hopefully she’ll find options.

Dds favourite meals were the giant pizza and salad in via Napoli a fish sandwich in the boathouse, and the meal we had at bubba gumps because there’s a lot of fish. Sushi is good too. And she seems ok with sweets just not chocolate ones.

Hope that helps.

Kat
This is brilliant and exactly the same issues as my daughter so will try your suggestions thanks x