Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 3 Aug 22, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Too scary, too hot & too splashy - Orlando May-June 2022 - Day 4 (Magic Kingdom / Disney Springs)

Day 4 - Friday 20th May - Magic Kingdom & Disney Springs

The Index is here

Today I woke at 6am – hurrah! I really needed that long sleep. I was finally starting to feel better as well and just in time as it was my 35th Birthday. I was in Florida for my 30th (3 months pregnant with Charlie) so that’s why we’d chosen May again this time, to celebrate 5 years on (when we’d rescheduled from 2020 and 2021 that is).

Everyone else was still asleep too!

That’s when it suddenly dawned on me that we were doing early entry at Magic Kingdom so needed to be up! I hadn’t set an alarm given the stupid times I’d been waking. Rookie mistake!

I woke Richard and we got ourselves showered and dressed then woke the kids.

I quickly opened a few small presents that he and the kids had got me, but my best gift was in a little envelope – a massage at the Grand Floridian Spa! AMAZING.

All fed and changed we left the room at 7.20am. I had grabbed a Lightning Lane at 7am too for Pirates at 9.40.
The first boat had been at 7.20 the other day so we knew we were probably behind at least one boat load of people. We were once again aiming for Seven Dwarves.

We walked quickly to the boat and despite running the last stretch the boat shut its gate about 10 seconds before we got there and there was no turning back for them it seemed. So we had to wait.

Luckily it wasn’t long until the next one showed one, it was smaller so we had to collapse the pram. Whilst we were waiting I had creamed the kids up and managed to thank all my family and friends for the cards and dollars.
It was SUCH a nice start to the day on that boat with the sun rising. The kind of feeling you’d like to bottle.

We did the usual getting through security where I take the kids and pram and Richard takes the bags. I joined the queue to scan in which was already moving but there was an issue with our magic bands. The boys new ones had all been linked – by me – and I had my old one on so it should have been fine. Plus we’d checked them on the hotel door and they’d worked. They had to call someone over but a couple of minutes on their ipad and whatever it was had been sorted and we were through. No doubt the people behind us were cursing us.

Then we had to speed walk up Main Street, the clock showed it was dead on 8am. We joined the queue for Fantasyland in the same place as Tuesday and they let us in again dead on 8.25am.

This time – as I mentioned on day 1 – we went to the right of the carousel and missed out loads of the crowds as they veered round the corner then had to walk towards us to join the long queue that had already formed. So lucky! They line you up next to the fence of the ride so we walked that queue whilst Richard parked the pram, he was back again before we hit the main ride entrance.

However, 5 minutes in the queue the announcement came on for inclement weather! The sky had gone really dark. The weather apps had now all changed from 1pm to 9am and of course we hadn’t checked since leaving the hotel and the pram was uncovered.

We decided to stick it out and see if we got on and as we did people were coming back on the ride soaked. The rain had clearly started. And where were our ponchos and raincoats… under the pram. Lol.

We exchanged looks and decided to do it as we didn’t think we’d make another Magic Kingdom early entry. So we got on, me with Penny and Richard with Charlie and our bums were already wet. It threw it down! But probably not as bad as it had been. The kids said they didn’t like the hill going up but liked the mine section. Charlie reckoned he wanted to do it again but we didn’t make EE and without buying a Lightning Lane we just weren’t prepared to queue for it again. Such a shame but one for next time. Don’t know how much Penny saw of it as I had my hand over her face trying to reduce the TOO SPLASHY complaints.

We went to Haunted Mansion at park official opening at 9am and joined what looked like a long queue but it only said 5 minutes and we were indeed on in that time. Penny was surprisingly ok with it.

A lot different to how I looked an hour before - tx SDMT!

Penny was now formally announcing whether it was a SPLASHY or NON SPLASHY ride now, which determined if she liked it apparently (for today at least). Haunted Mansion was NON SPLASHY so got the thumbs up.

After that we used our LL for Pirates and got a little bit wet, but despite that, this one also got a NON SPLASHY thumbs up. Hey, I don’t make up the rules. That smell on Pirates is so good.

Afterwards we went to Sleepy Hallow for a fruit/chocolate waffle and there was quite a queue! I didn’t think they’d have mobile order but realised they did once I had waited with the kids for 15 minutes. Richard had gone back to retrieve the pram from whereever we left it, luckily it had been ok during the rain earlier as it was semi under cover.

The waffle was delicious and we all devoured it!

By this point the LL I’d secured after Pirates had opened – Buzz Spacerader Spin. We headed over to Tomorrowland and passed by Monsters Inc Laughfloor. That was only showing as 5 minutes so we went in their first. This was cute and most jokes went over the kids heads but Charlie picked up two new pieces of material that were repeated all holiday. Always a winner that one.

Buzz was next, however we very nearly didn’t go o
n as Charlie had a habit of climbing on everything he could find and was already on a warning about climbing on the railings. Long story short, we let a number of people go ahead of us but did indeed finally go on. One of those occasions where we probably should have said no and left but we were so close to the front we accepted his apology and moved on.
Whilst I do like the ride, I am terrible at it, like really terrible. Plus I was with Penny and she just enjoyed making us spin rather than trying to shoot.

When we got off this one we were running tight for time now as I needed to be at the Grand Floridian for 12.15pm. We were running tight for time as a result and Cosmic Rays was closest so we went there for an early lunch. I mobile ordered on the way.

Richard and I had green salads with chicken tenders and the kids shared a kids mac and cheese meal which came with fries and a satsuma and a milk which I split between them (just ask for another empty cup). We all really enjoyed this and there was plenty.

I had to leave them eating and headed up Main Street to the exit. It was such a nice feeling just walking kid free for a few moments and taking in the sights and sounds.

I headed to the resort monorail and it came quickly. Although I should have taken the boat directly to the GF as I’d forgotten that it is the last monorail stop. 20 minutes later I was there and had to do a very quick walk through the main building to the spa building, which is right by the wedding pavilion, almost at the Poly. I hadn’t been to the Spa before so it was a bit of a mission trying to get there in time but I literally just managed it.

I went inside and checked in. They then do a quick ritual where you choose a stone and then that stone is connected to your journey – i.e. the colour palate of your spa room and the scene they use etc (but they did say you can change the scent if you hate it). You get shown to the changing rooms which are quite small but nicely appointed, there is a shower area there too. Across from that is a sauna and jacuzzi and a quiet area with water and nuts. They leave you in the changing room and say to wait in the waiting area until you are called by your spa session.

The dressing gowns are COMFY!

I was called quickly and had a fabulous hot stone massage. The bed is heated and really comfy. As always though with massages (I find) it went too quickly.

Afterwards I spent some time in the jacuzzi and sauna and after about half an hour went to have a shower and wash my hair. The whole area isn’t large but I’d say you could easily spend half a day here including the treatment. I just knew we had a dinner reservation so whilst I didn’t rush, I also wasn’t leisurely reading through the assortment of magazines etc either.

The products in the shower were amazing. I was very surprised there was no up sell at all on any product.
I had to pay on the way out (it’s a joint account anyway so the fact I had to pay makes no difference to Richard doing it in advance). It was $222 for 50 minutes. Yes, very expensive. But it was a lovely experience and it was my birthday

Treating you to a view of the hallway - the only other photo I took

After that I changed and left and walked to the boat dock. But guess what, the boat stops at the Poly as well in the day, so it would have been quicker to take the monorail the one stop. I was cracking myself up at how bad my decision making had been on my route but it was a lovely peaceful journey to the Poly then to MK. My notes literally say “sat on the boat, monorail just gone overhead, the sun is shining, jungle book is playing, bloody beautiful”.

20 minutes later I was back at MK and a red boat was pulling in so I quick walked over to that – the security guards were shouting that they’d wait for me haha – and I was back at Wilderness lodge only a few minutes later.

I had facetimed my mum on the walk to the boat too without issue (highly recommend ubigi for data if anyone wants a package – we didn’t want to rely on the park wifi due to having Genie+).

It was 2.52 by now, and I needed to quickly freshen up and change my clothes before going to Disney Springs.

Richard had sent me some footage of them leaving Magic Kingdom and the Pooh bear characters were on the top of the station. The kids had spent ages running from one to the other waving and it was such a lovely moment. I was gutted to have missed it but so pleased he’d recorded it. Its normally me that does that.

The kids had then napped for 90 minutes and when I got back they were all at the hotel arcade. Very pleased I missed that, its not my scene at all. It also meant I could get sorted in peace i.e. much quicker! I showered again as I was already hot from the journey from the Grand Flo and changed my clothes.

I caught up with the kids and we headed to our next destination – Disney springs. We had an early dinner reservation at Wine Bar George. Richard drove and we parked easily enough given it was Friday night, but it was only 3.45. The sky was looking dark again and we wanted to try and beat the rain.

We weren’t successful and had to do a quick run in the rain. I carried Penny to speed up the process but we were all pretty damp by the time we arrived. We were shown upstairs into a corner table which suited us fine despite not having much of a view and we both ordered a wine each. I’d asked for something similar to my favourite NZ Sav Blanc for a bit of a change and they brought me this bottle – it was DELICIOUS (and I’m off to google some of it now).

Penny wanted a milk and Charlie wanted a juice – the drink they brought him was the size of his head and they brought a spare juice box for Penny in case she changed her mind which was kind. She didn’t and it came home with us for another day as he barely made a dent in the one he’d been given.

We had our eye on a few things that we wanted from vlogs we watch but the menu was a bit different. Perhaps its earlier in the day or the brunch menu for the lamb and a couple of other bits. We planned on just sharing everything with the kids as they liked cheese and meats and we’ve taken them to a couple of wine bar / tapas style places and had no issues.
We ordered the cheese board, humous and dips, steak with chimichurri sauce and the mac and cheese bites. I feel there was something else as well but whatever it was didn’t make it into my notes.

We soooo over ordered. The steak was massive and delicious. Everything was brilliant. One of the best meals of the holiday for sure.

I don’t have a note of the cost, and we’d ordered a second round of wines, but it was roughly $200 and a nice birthday treat. I’d had quite the day for treats!

The kids had wanted a bubble wand with money their grandparents had given them so we picked those up after dinner. Penny picked a little mermaid version and Charlie the mickey mouse. They got so much delight out of these and the bubbles bothered Richard more than they did me haha.

Even after dinner I wanted a birthday cake – I’m definitely a sweet toothed person – so we went to Amorettes. This was our first time in here and I had no idea it had inside seating as well. I picked the blueberry lemon moose celebration mini cake (I’d picked it in advance) and again whilst pricey, it perfectly fit the bill for the 4 of us. The kids sung happy birthday to me and we cut and shared the cake. Everyone enjoyed it.

After that we decided to call it a night as were all flagging after another fun busy day. We avoided the rain on the way home but after we’d put the kids to bed the storm that night was unreal. We watched amazed as the water gushed down the roof onto the floor, knowing it would be perfectly dry again the next morning.

We didn’t stay up late enough to find out if the fireworks were cancelled but I assumed they would have been.

So, a brilliant day turning 35. In my favourite place, with my favourite people. After the extra rest this morning and the nap the kids seemed much more adjusted and were slowly getting there.

Then once again we sorted the park bag/s for the morning – early entry at Hollywood Studios (the planned one despite the fact we’d done this on Thursday already!).
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Oh wow, do birthdays come any better than this?! Such a perfect day and that trip to the spa looked absolutely divine! So glad you had some many treats to mark your special day, so very deserved! That cake looked absolutely amazing too, I might have to justify one of those even when not celebrating a birthday! :-P

Oh and have you even been to Disney with a little if you don't leave with a bubble wand?! Its a right of passage!

Absolutely loved this day... I can't wait to see how you top this when you turn 40! :P
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Ilovedisney
VIP Dibber

Sounds an amazing day. Off to look at booking a massage for my upcoming trip as also my birthday when there..
Ilovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Well what a wonderful birthday you had
A lie in 🙊
Magic Kingdom ❤️
A massage
A fantastic meal, that steak 😋😋😋
And a fabulous cake to end the day 🎂
Apart from the soaking on Snow White it was all good x

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a lovely day to celebrate your birthday :spin shame about the rain

Joan
Old 19 Aug 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
The best birthday EVER! What an amazing day! Wine Bar George looks so good. Definitely adding that to my list for whenever I get to go back!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 22, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

What a fantastic way to spend your birthday! Magic Kingdom AND some child free spa time?! Dinner looks and sounds delicious, that cake too. Lovely day to read about xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 22, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Oh wow, do birthdays come any better than this?! Such a perfect day and that trip to the spa looked absolutely divine! So glad you had some many treats to mark your special day, so very deserved! That cake looked absolutely amazing too, I might have to justify one of those even when not celebrating a birthday! :-P

Oh and have you even been to Disney with a little if you don't leave with a bubble wand?! Its a right of passage!

Absolutely loved this day... I can't wait to see how you top this when you turn 40! :P
It was pretty epic! Something tells me my 36th is gonna be a dull in comparison

Think you’ll be there over my birthday so you’ll have to celebrate for me!

Originally Posted by Ilovedisney View Post
Sounds an amazing day. Off to look at booking a massage for my upcoming trip as also my birthday when there..
Did you book? Hope so

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Well what a wonderful birthday you had
A lie in 🙊
Magic Kingdom ❤️
A massage
A fantastic meal, that steak 😋😋😋
And a fabulous cake to end the day 🎂
Apart from the soaking on Snow White it was all good x
It was an excellent day! If only they could all be like that

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That was a lovely day to celebrate your birthday :spin shame about the rain

Joan
It was brilliant thanks Joan - loved it!

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
The best birthday EVER! What an amazing day! Wine Bar George looks so good. Definitely adding that to my list for whenever I get to go back!
Yes you absolutely do - it was one of our favourite meals of the entire holiday!

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
What a fantastic way to spend your birthday! Magic Kingdom AND some child free spa time?! Dinner looks and sounds delicious, that cake too. Lovely day to read about xx
It was brilliant thank you - one of those rare days where most things go to plan xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 22, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
What a fab birthday. The massage sounds amazing, and definitely needed on this sort of holiday, and that steak looked delicious x

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List