Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Aug 22, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ExplorerRuss
Earning More Ears

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. It my first ever trip abroad as a parent (lockdown baby) so I am overthinking everything.
ExplorerRuss is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Kram View Post
Uscarhire and Alamo direct with 10% discount on their deals work out cheapest for me
Yes, the Alamo pre-paid 10% saving via their Deals link also includes 3 additional drivers so the same as going through AlamoBrit's.

There's also the option to add pre-paid fuel and is one of the better deals.

And while the UScarhire gold package is slightly cheaper by around £20 to a booking direct with Alamo, the link supplied by Goldmember to partners.rentalcar/ustravel-nl/ has the biggest saving for us.

Might have missed it but would love to hear back from anyone who's picked up a rental via that Dutch link.

So many thanks Goldmember and those who've mentioned partners.rentalcar/ustravel-nl and to the OP who started this thread.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ExplorerRuss View Post
After reading this thread I decided to check the prices on Discount Florida Car Hire after people recommending it, and low and behold I can currently get a much better deal.

The only thing that holds me back straight away is the car seat, there is an option to add a car seat but not the specific age/weight range. Also if booking with Alamo then it seems to go through the quick pick up process, how do i get the seat? Is there just loads of them hanging around or do i have pick them up? Does anyone know, have you done this before?

My main worry is turning up and not having a suitable seat, my daughter is 2 so no seat is not an option.
We took our own seat in 2018 for our then 3 year old, would much prefer knowing what I’m getting than finding out when I get there.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Halleluja! I can confirm that I have received a refund this morning from my pre-paid booking with ustravel-nl. It took a lot of phonecalls to Alamo, Enterprise and to the travel agent themselves with no one able to cancel the reservation, the agent telling me Alamo can cancel, and Alamo/Enterprise telling me it has to be the company who took the reservation to cancel.

So a long-winded email with screenshots of the issues I was having accessing the reservation on the affiliate site and the contact details of the company who I was supposed to be able to ask for assistance (Enterprise) was sent to various email addresses at Alamo and Enterprise, and I copied in the agent at ustravel.nl who had told me all along that it was only Alamo who could help me, and lo and behold, the agent at ustravel.nl emailed me yesterday to tell me she'd managed to get it cancelled. And I had the refund at 4am through the night there.

So don't prepay with ustravel-nl folks!

First trip to Florida: June 2013
First family trip: Disney Oct 2019
Latest family trip to Florida: Treasure Island, Universal October 2022
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Icey
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ExplorerRuss View Post
After reading this thread I decided to check the prices on Discount Florida Car Hire after people recommending it, and low and behold I can currently get a much better deal.

The only thing that holds me back straight away is the car seat, there is an option to add a car seat but not the specific age/weight range. Also if booking with Alamo then it seems to go through the quick pick up process, how do i get the seat? Is there just loads of them hanging around or do i have pick them up? Does anyone know, have you done this before?

My main worry is turning up and not having a suitable seat, my daughter is 2 so no seat is not an option.
We took our own seats when kids were little. You just check it in with your bags and don’t see it again until baggage reclaim.
I preferred to take my own as you know how to fit them and know they’ve not been in an accident etc
Icey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Icey View Post
We took our own seats when kids were little. You just check it in with your bags and don’t see it again until baggage reclaim.
I preferred to take my own as you know how to fit them and know they’ve not been in an accident etc
I don't know much about child seats, but I think these days the UK and US use different fittings so not sure that is possible now.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
I don't know much about child seats, but I think these days the UK and US use different fittings so not sure that is possible now.
Pretty sure US use isofix fitting. But again not an expert, but my recent car hire def had the slots you’d use for an isofix seat.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by garryboy11 View Post
Pretty sure US use isofix fitting. But again not an expert, but my recent car hire def had the slots you’d use for an isofix seat.
Fair enough, I'm sure I read a couple of times about them not being isofix, but maybe that was the seats provided rather than the cars.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
Fair enough, I'm sure I read a couple of times about them not being isofix, but maybe that was the seats provided rather than the cars.
They’re not isofix but they do fit. UK seats aren’t legal out there though, so if you get in an accident…..

We bought a Cybex one on our first day in November and have taken that with us in March and will be coming again on Wednesday.

Personally I’d never rent one, as you just don’t know if it’s been in an accident.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Softy View Post
They’re not isofix but they do fit. UK seats aren’t legal out there though, so if you get in an accident…..

We bought a Cybex one on our first day in November and have taken that with us in March and will be coming again on Wednesday.

Personally I’d never rent one, as you just don’t know if it’s been in an accident.
Ever seen baggage handlers chucking stuff around!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List