Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Aug 22, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile American Airlines travel day review

We flew yesterday with AA and I thought I’d jot down my thoughts in case it helps anybody else.

After the terminal change back to T3 we now needed to get from a Sofitel at T5 with 4 large cases and all our hand luggage. We did think about taking the tube but with all that luggage it really just seemed like unnecessary stress.

We checked with the front desk if they could arrange a taxi for us and they said it would be £45. Uber XL was £33 and only a 5 minute wait at 8:45am so we went with that.

The Uber driver called me on his way and said that I’d need to get a ticket for the car park barrier. I asked but Sofitel need to take the ticket issued on entry first so when the driver arrived I took the ticket to go and exchange at reception while dh helped get the luggage into the car.

When we arrived at T3 it was fairly busy but not nearly as bad as I’d expected.

As we were flying premium we used the priority desk to drop our luggage, having checked in on the app the day before. You can’t print boarding passes with AA, only save mobile ones, something I didn’t know and spent quite a while trying to sort the day before as I like to have a print out.

The queue wasn’t too long, about 15 minutes, and we were issued boarding passes there without asking so I guess they do it anyway whether you downloaded the mobile passes or not.

The priority desk could be used by anybody travelling premium or higher, or those with status with AA or one of the One World Alliance airlines. So bronze and up with BA could still use that line. The standard line was longer but not too bad and had more desks so I don’t suppose there was a much longer wait.

The line for security didn’t look too long but was very slow moving. I’m sure the same man offered me liquids bags about ten times. It took us about 30 minutes to get through.

We had a couple of lounge passes to use from our Amex gold so headed to the No1 lounge. They were full but said they could fit us in if we sat in the cinema. It was fine as it was quiet, barring the film, in there with less of the commotion outside, though the lounge did seem less busy after about half an hour. The food wasn't great tbh so not sure we’d use this lounge again. They’re back to buffet offerings and there were buns with sausage and bacon, scrambled eggs and beans available along with a very small selection of pastries and cereal. It was fine for getting away from the busy terminal but the worst offering we’ve had from a lounge.

We’d been told that boarding would start at 12pm for our 12:50pm flight so at 11:45am I checked to board and saw that boarding had already started. We headed straight to our gate and walked straight on. There were no queues there 😂 AA board quickly it seems with none of the usually big queues we see when boarding with BA. I guess the early boarding caught people out so it was just a steady flow as people arrived at the gate.

We had the front middle row of premium and there was plenty of space but nowhere to put things you wanted out for the flight. There was a tiny cubby hole at the back of the seat but once you sat down it wasn’t easily accessible. So be organised with what you need and prepared to hold water etc in your lap.

Boarding finished quickly and we were taxiing to the runway before people were settled. The seatbelt lights came on but there were still people using the toilets and up and down to the overhead lockers. The cabin crew sat down and belted up and still I saw a couple of people go and use the toilet. Nobody said anything to them and the crew member nearest was busy on her phone 🤷

Food was good I thought. We’d ordered our meals online but they clearly don’t actually look at that so we were just offered the same choices shown online. No need to order ahead. We had a hot meal shortly after take off and a cold meal before landing. The hot meal was chicken and pasta or a veggie option. The cold meal was a noodle salad type thing with peanuts. Really tasty though I did wonder if serving a meal laden with peanuts on a flight was a good idea. Dd didn’t like it at all. She’d been expecting the usual sandwich or scone.

It was a bit of a strange flight as they put all the blinds down straight after take off and the lights were off too, it was just like a night flight. Dh and I managed to sleep a bit as it was so dark. No idea why but it made it difficult to see anything around our seats at first and could see lots using their phone torches to see what they were doing.

The seat belts signs were on for most of the flight though I didn’t think the turbulence was bad at all. Not that it mattered as nobody seemed to take notice and moved around anyway. Including people using the toilets right up to 10 minutes before we touched down. The crew didn’t belt up until the very last moment. I don’t know why but it all just felt different to what we’re used to with BA. Nobody even checked that we were belted and had nothing by our feet like they usually do. The guy next to me had a backpack between his feet and the crew member noticed at the last moment and quickly jumped up and put it in the overhead locker.

There was a medical emergency in the row behind us and they put an announcement our first qualified volunteers. A man came running up to me and asked what the emergency was as the crew had given him the wrong seat number. I had my headphones on and didn’t know anything was going on so was quite confused.

We’ve had lots of flights where they’ve asked if there were medical professionals onboard, I’m always grateful that people are willing to help in these situations.

Worryingly the crew appeared with a first aid box but couldn’t open it. It took three of them a good few minutes to figure it out.

I’m sure the passengers that needed assistance were very grateful to the people that volunteered to help them out. It must be so scary to be that unwell on a flight.

Once we landed in Miami we were off the plane really quickly into an empty immigration hall. That’s definitely a perk of flying AA.

The AA luggage tracking via the app is great, we have AirTags but they aren’t really necessary with AA. Though I guess if the bags didn’t make it we’d know where they are with the AirTags.

Had a bit of a wait for luggage during which time dd was really unwell so I spent that time clearing up puck in the toilets 🤢 I think she was overtired and had too many haribo.

We were away in our Avis hire car at 6pm after touching down at 4:45pm so a nice quick exit from Miami given the drama with dd.

Overall a great travel day albeit there were some strange goings on on the flight but maybe that’s just me noticing differences between UK and US airlines.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We flew yesterday with AA and I thought I’d jot down my thoughts in case it helps anybody else.

After the terminal change back to T3 we now needed to get from a Sofitel at T5 with 4 large cases and all our hand luggage. We did think about taking the tube but with all that luggage it really just seemed like unnecessary stress.

We checked with the front desk if they could arrange a taxi for us and they said it would be £45. Uber XL was £33 and only a 5 minute wait at 8:45am so we went with that.

The Uber driver called me on his way and said that I’d need to get a ticket for the car park barrier. I asked but Sofitel need to take the ticket issued on entry first so when the driver arrived I took the ticket to go and exchange at reception while dh helped get the luggage into the car.

When we arrived at T3 it was fairly busy but not nearly as bad as I’d expected.

As we were flying premium we used the priority desk to drop our luggage, having checked in on the app the day before. You can’t print boarding passes with AA, only save mobile ones, something I didn’t know and spent quite a while trying to sort the day before as I like to have a print out.

The queue wasn’t too long, about 15 minutes, and we were issued boarding passes there without asking so I guess they do it anyway whether you downloaded the mobile passes or not.

The priority desk could be used by anybody travelling premium or higher, or those with status with AA or one of the One World Alliance airlines. So bronze and up with BA could still use that line. The standard line was longer but not too bad and had more desks so I don’t suppose there was a much longer wait.

The line for security didn’t look too long but was very slow moving. I’m sure the same man offered me liquids bags about ten times. It took us about 30 minutes to get through.

We had a couple of lounge passes to use from our Amex gold so headed to the No1 lounge. They were full but said they could fit us in if we sat in the cinema. It was fine as it was quiet, barring the film, in there with less of the commotion outside, though the lounge did seem less busy after about half an hour. The food wasn't great tbh so not sure we’d use this lounge again. They’re back to buffet offerings and there were buns with sausage and bacon, scrambled eggs and beans available along with a very small selection of pastries and cereal. It was fine for getting away from the busy terminal but the worst offering we’ve had from a lounge.

We’d been told that boarding would start at 12pm for our 12:50pm flight so at 11:45am I checked to board and saw that boarding had already started. We headed straight to our gate and walked straight on. There were no queues there 😂 AA board quickly it seems with none of the usually big queues we see when boarding with BA. I guess the early boarding caught people out so it was just a steady flow as people arrived at the gate.

We had the front middle row of premium and there was plenty of space but nowhere to put things you wanted out for the flight. There was a tiny cubby hole at the back of the seat but once you sat down it wasn’t easily accessible. So be organised with what you need and prepared to hold water etc in your lap.

Boarding finished quickly and we were taxiing to the runway before people were settled. The seatbelt lights came on but there were still people using the toilets and up and down to the overhead lockers. The cabin crew sat down and belted up and still I saw a couple of people go and use the toilet. Nobody said anything to them and the crew member nearest was busy on her phone 🤷

Food was good I thought. We’d ordered our meals online but they clearly don’t actually look at that so we were just offered the same choices shown online. No need to order ahead. We had a hot meal shortly after take off and a cold meal before landing. The hot meal was chicken and pasta or a veggie option. The cold meal was a noodle salad type thing with peanuts. Really tasty though I did wonder if serving a meal laden with peanuts on a flight was a good idea. Dd didn’t like it at all. She’d been expecting the usual sandwich or scone.

It was a bit of a strange flight as they put all the blinds down straight after take off and the lights were off too, it was just like a night flight. Dh and I managed to sleep a bit as it was so dark. No idea why but it made it difficult to see anything around our seats at first and could see lots using their phone torches to see what they were doing.

The seat belts signs were on for most of the flight though I didn’t think the turbulence was bad at all. Not that it mattered as nobody seemed to take notice and moved around anyway. Including people using the toilets right up to 10 minutes before we touched down. The crew didn’t belt up until the very last moment. I don’t know why but it all just felt different to what we’re used to with BA. Nobody even checked that we were belted and had nothing by our feet like they usually do. The guy next to me had a backpack between his feet and the crew member noticed at the last moment and quickly jumped up and put it in the overhead locker.

There was a medical emergency in the row behind us and they put an announcement our first qualified volunteers. A man came running up to me and asked what the emergency was as the crew had given him the wrong seat number. I had my headphones on and didn’t know anything was going on so was quite confused.

We’ve had lots of flights where they’ve asked if there were medical professionals onboard, I’m always grateful that people are willing to help in these situations.

Worryingly the crew appeared with a first aid box but couldn’t open it. It took three of them a good few minutes to figure it out.

I’m sure the passengers that needed assistance were very grateful to the people that volunteered to help them out. It must be so scary to be that unwell on a flight.

Once we landed in Miami we were off the plane really quickly into an empty immigration hall. That’s definitely a perk of flying AA.

The AA luggage tracking via the app is great, we have AirTags but they aren’t really necessary with AA. Though I guess if the bags didn’t make it we’d know where they are with the AirTags.

Had a bit of a wait for luggage during which time dd was really unwell so I spent that time clearing up puck in the toilets 🤢 I think she was overtired and had too many haribo.

We were away in our Avis hire car at 6pm after touching down at 4:45pm so a nice quick exit from Miami given the drama with dd.

Overall a great travel day albeit there were some strange goings on on the flight but maybe that’s just me noticing differences between UK and US airlines.
Glad you arrived ok, hope your daughter is feeling better
We flew back with AA from Chicago this year all good I agree re under seat bags, they weren’t fussy at all
We also had a medical emergency and any Dr to make themselves known

Have a wonderful holiday

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

That’s really good to know! Thank you for posting, we’re on the 10.40 with American on Weds, so hoping for a similar experience (other than the premium lol) Your poor daughter, mine used to get sick on every single flight we took, used to have to take so many spare clothes in my hand luggage for her!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List