Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jan 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
So we’ve asked and it’s unconditional insurance or firm so that’s took a lot of pressure off . We are Going for the taster days for sheff uni and Hallam then he will decide for def but my thinking is put sheff uni ( AAB) as his firm and Hallam as insurance , that way hes going regardless of the grades he achieves ( biology being the one subject he’s panicking in ) . Not sure about picking accommodation with insurance but well ask at the taster day . Any thoughts otherwise ?
That’s brilliant news, my DD’s friend has done similar. She chose her first choice who want BBB but the unconditional as second so it’s win-win, less pressure.

I think insurance choices vary about accommodation. My DD’s insurance choice lets her pick when application opens, as they don’t allocate until after results, so by then she will know which university she is going to. You could check at the taster day or email.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
That’s brilliant news, my DD’s friend has done similar. She chose her first choice who want BBB but the unconditional as second so it’s win-win, less pressure.

I think insurance choices vary about accommodation. My DD’s insurance choice lets her pick when application opens, as they don’t allocate until after results, so by then she will know which university she is going to. You could check at the taster day or email.
That’s really good to know , it will make him still work hard but have the fallback he wanted just in case . Luckily they are his top two anyway . Too much is happening now all at once
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

Well done everyone. I can't believe the UCAS deadline is nearly here.

I am glad my daughter did hers in December as it has been mocks this week and next, so would have been too stressful to leave it.

She had her final offer in thus afternoon.

So she has 2 unconditional offers - Lincoln (this has always been her favourite university) and Winchester.

She has a conditional of AAB at Royal Holloway (her 2nd favourite).

She got through the first stage of UEA, but they have asked for a portfolio too. She decided she didn't like it enough to do this while revising for mocks and she was happy to get that far.

Birmingham have given her a conditional today of AAB.

Her predicted grades are ABB. I am not sure how flexible universities are.

Her decision now is whether to put Lincoln unconditional down as Firm and then not be able to put anything else down

Or

Put Royal Holloway or Birmingham (We have not visited Birmingham yet) as Firm and Lincoln as Insurance.

Also the accommodation for Lincoln opens on 1st March. So she would have had to have made a decision on her choices by then.

Decisions, Decisions!
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
So we’ve asked and it’s unconditional insurance or firm so that’s took a lot of pressure off . We are Going for the taster days for sheff uni and Hallam then he will decide for def but my thinking is put sheff uni ( AAB) as his firm and Hallam as insurance , that way hes going regardless of the grades he achieves ( biology being the one subject he’s panicking in ) . Not sure about picking accommodation with insurance but well ask at the taster day . Any thoughts otherwise ?
What subject is he applying for?

You can still apply for accommodation even if you haven’t yet chosen firm & insurance.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneylover43 View Post
Are we the only ones that haven’t had their UCAS application submitted yet ?
Hi, how are you getting on?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
What subject is he applying for?

You can still apply for accommodation even if you haven’t yet chosen firm & insurance.
Ba geography , thank you I didnt know that .
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
I am not so sure about this bit. Perhaps it varies between universities? Normally you apply for accommodation once you have accepted either a firm or an unconditional offer.

My understanding was that you don't opt for accommodation at your insurance university as that only comes into play potentially on results day. Some unis will still guarantee rooms in halls to those holding insurance offers, but I thought it was kinda on the grounds of what would be available on results day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I am not so sure about this bit. Perhaps it varies between universities? Normally you apply for accommodation once you have accepted either a firm or an unconditional offer.

My understanding was that you don't opt for accommodation at your insurance university as that only comes into play potentially on results day. Some unis will still guarantee rooms in halls to those holding insurance offers, but I thought it was kinda on the grounds of what would be available on results day.
Were are going to see accommodation to check it all out as I’ve bee. Reading tonight and it’s all a bit confusing with it being an unconditional whatever he chooses
Sept 24 POFQ
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post

Not necessarily. Last year my daughter applied for accommodation before she made her choices about which universities she was accepting offers at. It’s easy enough to check with the individual university but if you can apply now, you may as well.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

H got an email from UCAS this evening and she has a offer from Durham at last. Hurrah! It’s her first choice and the University she had a place for last year so it’s been quite nerve wracking waiting to hear from them this year. It’s conditional - still need a second A* - but that’s what she was expecting. Just need to hear which college she’s got. But I’m thrilled for her - after a lot of disappointment, it’s such a relief to get the offer she wants.