Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Blimey DD. 4 Alevels plus the WB; that comes out at 5 A-level grades. As you say - an awful lot of work. Good luck to her.
It is a lot of work, and I worry it may be too much especially if it isn't needed. But she loves all 4 subjects and doesn't want to drop one. Ideally, she would drop Welsh bacc, but of course, that isn't possible.

Biology is her main one, but she needs her psychology (which she enjoys and finds easy) as a second science for most uni Biol courses.

Her other 2 is Eng lit and lang which has always been a strong subject for her, but I feel it is almost 2 courses in itself and very time consuming. Her 4th is her 'fun' subject, Drama, which is almost a guaranteed A grade as she loves it. However, if she dropped the English and kept Drama we feel it wouldn't look such an impressive A level (although in all honesty, there is quite a lot of work involved in Drama so it isn't a 'soft' option). I think she will be more able to judge whether to drop one or keep all 4 after her AS results in August.

Edited at 01:50 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Long day at University of Birmingham today. Huge campus based uni, with train links that stop at the uni. We took a bus tour from the uni into the city which was around 5 minutes by bus from the campus. The student guide said it costs £1 into the city for a student and £1.80 return by train so very simple and cheap. Birmingham looked a massive city (especially considering we live in a very small Welsh village) and if DD wants to go to Birmingham uni we will go to the city for a day to see if she likes it.

The accommodation was excellent, very cheap and modern and close to campus. The university is very nice and easy to get around. DD was a little less keen on the Biology course, the modules didn't seem as interesting as some others, plus there is a compulsory biochemistry module in the first year which DD is not at all keen on. The labs looked a little older than either Bristol and Exeter, but the course was more lab based than Exeter, but less so than Bristol. Staff and students were very friendly and helpful.

Bristol is still a firm favourite, the only disadvantage we can find with it is it is far more expensive for accommodation. But Birmingham is second best, and may be worth a second visit.

Ed Sheeran tomorrow in Cardiff for me, DH and DD. Then a 3 hour trek to Nottingham next Saturday to look at their university before a well earned week in Venice 😊.

Hope everyone has successful visits to unis this weekend, let me know how you all get on, Sue ☺

Edited at 10:03 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Thank you for that - we are off there tomorrow! Good to know there is cheapish accommodation with it being city based. Let's hope the weather holds.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Colchester for us tomorrow, just dd and myself going and I’m starting to get nervous about driving by myself, although the route doesn’t look too bad. Its when I get into the town I start to panic. Should have booked a train really.
We got a vip bracelet in the post for free drinks and snacks, but I can’t find it now.
Will report back after the visit.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Thank you for that - we are off there tomorrow! Good to know there is cheapish accommodation with it being city based. Let's hope the weather holds.
Gorgeous sunshine there today. Definitely the best accommodation for value and lots of choice for all budgets. We looked at a £88 pw room today, which was 15 minute walk from main campus, and although quite small and not ensuite, it was clean and it would be perfectly acceptable for DD. It was certainly impressive from that side of it, but the Biology course wasn't as good as Bristol for DD, but we haven't ruled it out
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
Colchester for us tomorrow, just dd and myself going and I’m starting to get nervous about driving by myself, although the route doesn’t look too bad. Its when I get into the town I start to panic. Should have booked a train really.
We got a vip bracelet in the post for free drinks and snacks, but I can’t find it now.
Will report back after the visit.
Hope the drive goes well. DH is quite worried about driving to Nottingham next week as he doesn't like city driving and we have never been there before. The uni is outside the city so we are hoping we don't have to drive into the city centre (does anyone know or have any advice?)

We had a cancelled train today home which meant we had a bit of a long wait at Birmingham but apart from that, the journey by train went well
Old 22 Jun 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Hope the drive goes well. DH is quite worried about driving to Nottingham next week as he doesn't like city driving and we have never been there before. The uni is outside the city so we are hoping we don't have to drive into the city centre (does anyone know or have any advice?)

We had a cancelled train today home which meant we had a bit of a long wait at Birmingham but apart from that, the journey by train went well
Thank you. Hopefully won’t be too stressful.
Cant help with Nottingham, I used to drive there from Leicester every weekend but that was years ago so sure things have changed. Think they have lots of bus lanes though so be careful you don’t end up in them and get a fine.
I have booked a travelodge outside the city for our visit then getting the tram in.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So we are doing Loughborough next weekend and then Sheffield uni the week after and have Coventry booked for October . We can’t do Durham yet as it was fully booked so will have to wait for the new dates. I hoping this will help him decide if he wants to study local or away. We are driving there and back to them instead of staying over so he gets a feel of distance and he can figure out how he would visit his girlfriend or get home on a weekend etc.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
So we are doing Loughborough next weekend and then Sheffield uni the week after and have Coventry booked for October . We can’t do Durham yet as it was fully booked so will have to wait for the new dates. I hoping this will help him decide if he wants to study local or away. We are driving there and back to them instead of staying over so he gets a feel of distance and he can figure out how he would visit his girlfriend or get home on a weekend etc.
We feel we are giving DD a sense of the distance and travel routes by driving to some and just me and her catching trains to some too. She has not travelled by train a great deal before but she is becoming more confident about this due to our uni visits
Old 23 Jun 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

My ds is 17 and in year 12 , he has no idea what subject to do so havent visited any yet, anyone else the same?
P.s i.went to Birmingham uni its a beautiful campus and its own train station. No.ensuites when I.was there, more like prison cells lol