Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Well done to her, what a brilliant achievement. (And happy belated birthday!)
Thank you, it was the icing on the cake for my birthday. Plus it was Georgia’s 21st last weekend so a nice belated present for her too
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Oh DisneyDaffodil that is amazing! I am quite jealous, I would absolutely love to do something like that. Its a good foot in the door too as one she graduates she may even be offered a full time paid role if she is really enjoying it.
DD and her two friends have just signed the lease for a house to rent near the vet hospital where they will be based for 2 years after this academic year. Its really lovely. It has just been totally refurbished so everything is brand new, its very spacious and she has a massive bedroom with a lovely en suite. It has lovely garden too and a gardner that tends to it so I am sure they will enjoy relaxing in there on the sun loungers after a long day in clinics. They have seen some ghastly houses so have been lucky to get this one.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Hope everyone’s children are enjoying their new year back in uni and finally experiencing a more regular uni timetable and lifestyle xx

I just wanted to share my proud mum moment with all of you. Georgia has been offered a volunteer engagement officer role at Bristol Zoo. She is so excited as it’s where she wanted to work when she was a small child, so it’s a dream come true. There were hundreds of applicants and quite a tricky interview stage, which she felt she wouldn’t get the role as the other applicants all seemed older (in their 30s-40s) and had full degrees and work experience already. But she heard yesterday, on my birthday, that she was successful

It’s just one afternoon a week and it involves interacting with the visitors, playing puzzles with the children to entertain and educate them and answering questions about the animals. She will be situated in various locations such as gorilla island, butterfly forest, lemur walkthrough etc so will be really interesting and fun for her too. Plus, it will help her decide whether conservation or some other route is right for her and will be brilliant to add to her CV if she does decide to go into conservation. She was bouncing with excitement when we spoke last night 😀
Oh wow! Congratulations to her, what a fantastic opportunity.

Happy belated birthday to you too xx
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Oh DisneyDaffodil that is amazing! I am quite jealous, I would absolutely love to do something like that. Its a good foot in the door too as one she graduates she may even be offered a full time paid role if she is really enjoying it.
DD and her two friends have just signed the lease for a house to rent near the vet hospital where they will be based for 2 years after this academic year. Its really lovely. It has just been totally refurbished so everything is brand new, its very spacious and she has a massive bedroom with a lovely en suite. It has lovely garden too and a gardner that tends to it so I am sure they will enjoy relaxing in there on the sun loungers after a long day in clinics. They have seen some ghastly houses so have been lucky to get this one.
I thought the same, it sounds such a lovely job, I’d love it too. She’s really looking forward to it and it could well be useful for future job opportunities

That’s good that your DD is all set in a nice house for the next couple of years, especially with her own garden and gardener. It sounds perfect. I hope it all continues to go well for her xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
Oh wow! Congratulations to her, what a fantastic opportunity.

Happy belated birthday to you too xx
Thank you, she still can’t believe she got the offer as she’s so happy today
Old 28 Oct 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

What fabulous news, well done to her!
Hope you had a lovely bday - hearing her good news must have made your day!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
What fabulous news, well done to her!
Hope you had a lovely bday - hearing her good news must have made your day!
Thank you. It really did make my birthday. She heard at 5pm but couldn’t get in touch with me as DH and I had gone to the cinema for my birthday celebration so I didn’t have my phone on.

I got the message around 2 hours later so rang her back, she said she had been so impatient waiting for my call back 😂
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Just wanted to update, DD had her induction at the zoo yesterday. She said even the induction was fairly exciting as amongst the usual health and safety procedures were what to do if an animal escapes? 😂

She starts working alongside a trained volunteer on the 28th, has 3 weeks of training and then gets her own polo shirt and volunteer pass (which allows her entry to the zoo when she wishes as well as for work) Her first week as a trained volunteer is the week before Christmas, which she is going to the theatre with us so will sadly miss, but she will be keen to return for her shift on 2 January. She said many of the volunteers can’t work Christmas holidays etc as they are students or have family commitments but the zoo has said they can take the times off they need, even prolonged spells like the summer break, and return afterwards. This could be useful if DD stays in Bristol for her masters next year as she could return to the role after summer break if she wished to.

I hope everyone is doing well and the students are enjoying this, almost normal, year in uni. Georgia has found the workload tough this year so far, there’s so much to get done, plus she is getting out a bit more with friends and trying to apply for masters courses too. She’s enjoying having more freedom and independence at last though

She’s home briefly this weekend as we are going to WMC to see Everybody’s Talking about Jamie but goes back on Sunday and won’t return until 17 or 18th December for the Christmas break. It’s going to be the first year I’ve having to put the decorations up on my own (DH is useless although he will help with the outdoor ones ) DD has said she will video call when I put them up so she can sing along to the Christmas songs 😂
Old 12 Jan 22, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Happy New Year (belatedly) to all on this thread. Just wondered how all the students are getting on into the final run of their university degrees (for 3 year courses at least).

Georgia is very busy back in Bristol putting the finishing touches to her dissertation. Although she also has a written project and exams later this year too, so it’s going to be a busy time for her.

She’s continuing with her volunteering as a visitor information/education guide at Bristol Zoo, which she’s really enjoying. She was given her officially Zoo polo shirt and jumper recently and was so excited with them (although it’s a size small but is enormous on her 😂 )

She’s also very busy looking for new accommodation for next year as she’s got a conditional offer for a molecular neuroscience masters degree. So, hopefully, she will continue in education next year and then leave Bristol with her undergraduate degree in Biology and a masters in Neuroscience 🤞 . Her current housemates are all hoping to continue in some form at Bristol next year too, unfortunately their landlord is hoping to sell their current house so they now have to find a new home for their final year.

How is everyone else getting on with their current degree? Hopefully, all are enjoying more freedom to go out and getting more in person teaching finally too. Does anyone have plans for next year, either starting their careers or continuing in education? Good luck again to all for the last part, or for the continuation, of their degrees xx
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Happy new year! so glad it is all going well for Georgia.

Both mine took gap years in the end , so my 21 year old is in second year and will be heading for a 3rd year placement in Germany at the University of Bonn next year. A bit of an exciting adventure for her.

My 19 year old is in first year of a 4 year pharmacology course leading to her masters ... and has found a house share for next year.. Nice to be done and dusted on that one... she's hoping to do well in her exams as this years results determine eligibility for 3rd year placement choices.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List