Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
Great post! That cracked me up

We have been to both Royal Holloway and Surrey. Both had ok accommodation, not the best we have seen but not the worst. But we were impressed with all other aspects at both Unis. The grounds at Royal Holloway are stunning, you will feel like you are at Hogwarts.
Unfortunately I won't be going on Saturday to Royal Holloway with my daughter and husband. I am jealous as it looks so beautiful.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Following on from our disappointing visit to Coventry at the weekend, I decided to send them some constructive feedback about our experience. Let's see if I get a reply from them.

As parents of a potential 2019 undergraduate, we would like to give you some feedback on the Open Day held on Saturday 6th October 2018.

We arrived in miserable weather, but there were still Ambassadors helping with enquiries and directions.

We were directed to the George Eliot building for the welcome talk at 10am. The coffee, tea, juice and Danish pastries were a nice touch.

When the welcome talk had finished we were taken to a class room to meet someone who would tell us about the English and Creative Writing Degree (Journalism was supposedly also part of this talk. There were only 4 students and their parents at the talk (2 interested in English and Creative Writing and 2 for Journalism). The lecturer informed the Journalism students what the person responsible for their course was not there and he would try to answer their questions. One girl had travelled up from London to the Open Day. He then proceeded to read through a presentation from the laptop and then spoke for about 45 minutes about Creative Writing. My husband then pointed out that he had not mentioned the English part of the course at all which includes a high percentage of reading. He acknowledged that he hadn't covered this but that he did not teach this part of the course, so didn't know much about it and the person who teaches it was not there. He also said that had his colleague who taught the English part been there instead, he would have probably spoken about the English and not covered the Creative Writing.

Having read about how Coventry University is very well respected and how they are 12th in the Guardian rankings and that they are 2nd in Teaching Excellence, we found this quite disappointing as we had visited the University to find out about the combined course.

While the lecturer explained to the students about a quick activity they had to do, my husband saw some course information on the desk, so picked one up. This prompted the lecturer to hand them out to the other students.

My daughter said after the talk that had this been the first university she had visited, she would have been put off of the English and Creative Writing course as it was not explained well at all and our questions could not be answered.

Luckily we had been to Lincoln University previously and already had some information about the course, so she had an insight into it, but it would have been nice to have heard how the course is run at Coventry and been able to ask questions.

My daughter really liked the campus, location and the accommodation (which was very well organised and informative)and she says she is not sure how she feels about putting Coventry down as one of her choices as she doesn't feel she has enough information or a feel for the course.

After we left, we went to Warwick who were holding their Open Day too and went to the English Department where we were greeted by a 2nd Year English Literature student. She said although she was not doing the Creative Writing part, she had flat mates who were doing it and explained what she knew about the combined course.

We have heard and read such positive things about Coventry University and we are sure our experience is not what people usually experience. We did find the overall visit very good, but when you have to decide on the best degree for you and where best to study, we did not feel that Coventry helped to achieve this on Saturday.

I hope that you find this feedback helpful for future Open Days.

Best regards.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 158
Today we are off to UCA (Farnham). I’m not sure that the course they do here is right for DS, but I’m going with an open mind, and we’ll see. At least the weather is going to be nice.
Old Key West August 2012
Port Orleans Riverside August 2014
NY/HRH and Beach Club July/Aug 2016
disneylover43 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Just got home, it turns out that they are expanding the course, and the part of the course that DS wants to do will now be at UCA in Rochester.
So we didn't bother looking at the campus and accommodation.But the campus generally had a nice feel to it, so we will now go and look at the accommodation in a couple of weeks at Rochester.
Old Key West August 2012
disneylover43 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneylover43 View Post
Just got home, it turns out that they are expanding the course, and the part of the course that DS wants to do will now be at UCA in Rochester.
So we didn't bother looking at the campus and accommodation.But the campus generally had a nice feel to it, so we will now go and look at the accommodation in a couple of weeks at Rochester.
What does he want to do? DS looked at UCA last year for Film but the geography of the camps felt a bit disjointed so we never went
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
What does he want to do? DS looked at UCA last year for Film but the geography of the camps felt a bit disjointed so we never went
He wants to do Acting and it was only taught at Farnham, but as from next year it is splitting and TV is going to be located at Rochester, luckily neither are too far from us.
Old Key West August 2012
Old 10 Oct 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneylover43 View Post
He wants to do Acting and it was only taught at Farnham, but as from next year it is splitting and TV is going to be located at Rochester, luckily neither are too far from us.
Sounds ideal 😃
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

Off to Royal Holloway in the morning. I had better go to bed!
Old 13 Oct 18, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Fun reading these posts and remembering my old student digs. One outside toilet, no hot water and sometimes the odd rat down the street. However we survived and had a great time. I do appreciate that it didn’t cost us anything and tiday’s student pay huge amounts. We didn’t get loads of lecture time but boy did we work hard independently and I am sure today’s do as well. The visits are invaluable and it is important to get the facts but please remember the staff presenting at weekends will be working unpaid in their own time and have no choice in which part of the visit they will be seconded to.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Fun reading these posts and remembering my old student digs. One outside toilet, no hot water and sometimes the odd rat down the street. However we survived and had a great time. I do appreciate that it didn’t cost us anything and tiday’s student pay huge amounts. We didn’t get loads of lecture time but boy did we work hard independently and I am sure today’s do as well. The visits are invaluable and it is important to get the facts but please remember the staff presenting at weekends will be working unpaid in their own time and have no choice in which part of the visit they will be seconded to.
Appreciate they are working unpaid and the students who show around are brilliant. When you are trying to get an insight into a course that you will be doing for 3 or 4 years of your life and you have travelled a fair distance you would expect to get that information. That didn't happen in Coventry.