Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
visitorlando/en/blog...of-winter-park

I don't know if you stay on-site or off-site with a car but if you get chance the whole town is worth a visit.
We usually stay onsite but did stay offsite one year. We’ve tended to just visit the parks on our previous three trips but this looks fantastic and definitely worth a visit in the future
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
GG

We've been to the Morse Museum a couple of times and the scenic lake ride four or five.

We've always driven but on our next trip to Florida (21 April 2020 ) we planned on catching Sunrail to avoid the I-4 drive. From Poinciana to Winter Park was something stupid like $5.50 return for two seniors. Maybe next time.

Mick
So it’s possible to get there by train? DH doesn’t like driving abroad and I don’t drive but the train sounds a great idea.

I look forward to your review of how the journey goes by train next year 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
So it’s possible to get there by train? DH doesn’t like driving abroad and I don’t drive but the train sounds a great idea.

I look forward to your review of how the journey goes by train next year 😀
Pam has used it (post #119) and I'm sure she could add more detail. My comment about being surrounded by old people was a joke by the way as we're mid 70s

According to Google maps the station is a 7 minute walk to the Morse Museum. It also looks the same walk to the lake ride so fairly central.

I remember sitting on the platform a few years ago as a freight train went through. Took about 10 minutes.

Mick
Old 27 Apr 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Pam has used it (post #119) and I'm sure she could add more detail. My comment about being surrounded by old people was a joke by the way as we're mid 70s

According to Google maps the station is a 7 minute walk to the Morse Museum. It also looks the same walk to the lake ride so fairly central.

I remember sitting on the platform a few years ago as a freight train went through. Took about 10 minutes.

Mick
I’m in my mid-50’s so quite happy to share a train with old people (I will probably fit in well 😂 )
Old 27 Apr 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s turned colder here today. Should I keep my seedlings covered through the day to protect them or are they ok uncovered? I know they need sunlight too so I’m not sure whether to cover or not. It’s starting to seem complicated looking after plants 😂
Old 27 Apr 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Interesting Pam

Hope we're not surrounded by loads of old people.

I know that it's a commuter train and only runs Mon-Fri and not too frequent in the middle of the day but we do want to try it. Maybe November?

Mick
Hi Mick
We travelled on the first train after peak commuter time, think it was 10.45 from Poinciana. The most difficult part was actually finding the Poinciana Station ( it is not very well signposted). The journey is not scenic, most of the time you are travelling behind the main routes (192 & OBT), lots of views of rear buildings, some communities. We decided to go to Winter Park first as the station is central for everything, some of the other stops entail more of a walk to get to places. When we travel each March there are always lots of Snowbirds, and they can be loud when a group gets together. As you say Mick the fare was only $5.50 for 2 return. It is about an hour's journey each way.
When we have driven to Winter Park before we have never been able to park so central as to where the train station is. Hope this helps.

Pam

Edited at 05:26 PM.
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

sunrail/station/kissimmee-amtrak/

Sunrail is brilliant and easy. It is easier to take cash to pay at the machine,there is no ticket office etc. The train is a double decker and is clean and comfy. The journey is not particularly scenic but it is interesting for the places it goes through. When you alight you have to tap off and likewise tap on when you get back on. It does drop you off in the centre of winter Park which is good. We have been a couple of times. The Briar Patch is good for lunch

Yes, it is colder here today, was going to cut the grass but read the latest Jack Reacher instead! Hope your plants will be ok.
Old 27 Apr 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TillySmith View Post
Hi Mick
We travelled on the first train after peak commuter time, think it was 10.45 from Poinciana. The most difficult part was actually finding the Poinciana Station ( it is not very well signposted). The journey is not scenic, most of the time you are travelling behind the main routes (192 & OBT), lots of views of rear buildings, some communities. We decided to go to Winter Park first as the station is central for everything, some of the other stops entail more of a walk to get to places. When we travel each March there are always lots of Snowbirds, and they can be loud when a group gets together. As you say Mick the fare was only $5.50 for 2 return. It is about an hour's journey each way.
When we have driven to Winter Park before we have never been able to park so central as to where the train station is. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that Pam.

I think Poinciana is the nearest station to Highgate Park but we've never been. When we go on the lake tour we've been lucky enough to park kerbside very near the dock.

On one visit we were walking back up to town from the dock and paused to look in a realtor's window. Within 30 seconds the realtor had seen us and came out asking if she could help. Said we were just looking at which $10m lakeside house to buy and we'd get back to her.

Mick
Old 27 Apr 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
It’s turned colder here today. Should I keep my seedlings covered through the day to protect them or are they ok uncovered? I know they need sunlight too so I’m not sure whether to cover or not. It’s starting to seem complicated looking after plants 😂
Don't know much about seedlings but I would definitely cover at night just incase of frost. All the summer bedding I got delivered from the garden centre has frost warnings
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Don't know much about seedlings but I would definitely cover at night just incase of frost. All the summer bedding I got delivered from the garden centre has frost warnings
I have kept them covered at night mainly to protect them from early morning bird visitors stealing the seeds 😂

I hadn’t considered that it could turn colder again, which is very silly of me living here in Wales. I think I will see how it goes on a day to day basis and lift the covers on the warmer part of day