Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Nov 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Miami area

Morning all. I’m not sure if this is the right section to ask this question as still Florida but we are considering having a week around the Miami area in April. Which brings me to the question, which is a good area to stay?
Travelling are myself, husband and 2 children (15,13). We are hoping for a fairly laid back holiday where we enjoy some sunshine and take in a few sights. We don’t mind driving a bit, maybe up to 2 hours but I gather some of the roads are a bit hair-raising!
Accommodation wise, we are fairly open minded but would like somewhere with a pool so if anyone has any suggestions on that as well we would be very grateful.
Thanks x

Edited at 10:36 AM.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

Personally I think a week in Miami would be too much, especially if you want laid back. Why don't you do 3 nights Miami and then you can do South Beach, Bayside etc. and maybe a trip into the Everglades; and then do 4 nights in the Keys?
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We haven't spent much time in Miami, but have a spent a week just above (Lauderdale by the Sea) and a week below in Florida City.

Florida City gets you onto the Keys within the hour, we visited John Pennekamp park for a glass bottomed boat ride - snorkel trips also available. Also Harry Harris beach and the Seven Mile Bridge - the didn't bother with Key West. Fed fish at Robbies in Islamorada and ate Key Lime Pie a lot. It's close to the Everglades Park Information Centre, and Nike Missile Base. We also visited a Fruit & Spice Park in Homestead and the 'Robert is Here' fruit stand.

From L by the S, we spent a day on the Water Taxi in Fort Lauderdale which is still one of our favourite Florida days, went to the Gumbo Limbo Nature reserve (turtle rehab) and Everglades Holiday Park (airboat and home of the Gator Boys from Animal Planet). We also did a few parks and things for smaller kids.

Accommodation wise, we usually just choose a cheap motel - virtually all of them have pools. However in April we're staying in Deerfield Beach in a 2 bedroom apartment within walking distance of the beach and the pier restaurants etc.

We don't find the roads to be particularly an issue - the only times we've noticed 'unusual' driving is around the main parks in Orlando, which I guess is just an influx of tourists trying to apply their own rules of the road to the American system - best to just go with the flow. And be prepared to wait for a very a long time at a red light!

ETA - Both places were about an hour ish from the airport

Edited at 11:05 AM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Your kids are a great age for Miami, mine loved it at that age. We stayed on South Beach and it was buzzing with lots going on and plenty to see. I’d aim to stay as close to South Beach as you can
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List