Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Oct 19, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

To compare and contrast Amy’s flight prices, we paid £758 each Hearhrow to Honolulu returning Maui to Heathrow. Economy out (including bags and seat selection) and PE home. We could have booked for £670 return economy both ways but felt the extra cost for both legs for better seats and more luggage was well worth it.
Old 28 Oct 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
To compare and contrast Amy’s flight prices, we paid £758 each Hearhrow to Honolulu returning Maui to Heathrow. Economy out (including bags and seat selection) and PE home. We could have booked for £670 return economy both ways but felt the extra cost for both legs for better seats and more luggage was well worth it.
What time of year did you book? January?
Old 28 Oct 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

January is a very good time to book

When we last went we paid flights to lax then used avios points to Honolulu return. We used 23,000? Points and paid 15 pound. This was using BA partner American Airlines

South west airlines now fly to Hawaii from different US airports and more to come
Old 28 Oct 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
What time of year did you book? January?
I think it was March for October flights. I just checked the Virgin app every day (often several times a day) and the prices wavered around 1k forever (economy both ways). Then they reduced and I booked

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
January is a very good time to book

When we last went we paid flights to lax then used avios points to Honolulu return. We used 23,000? Points and paid 15 pound. This was using BA partner American Airlines

South west airlines now fly to Hawaii from different US airports and more to come
Old 29 Oct 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Would love those prices - the cost of having to fly in the summer holidays I guess!
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Would love those prices - the cost of having to fly in the summer holidays I guess!
Jacks Flight Club had even cheaper prices last summer holidays. They were horrible journey times with two connections but I know a few people who did then. I seem to remember them being mid 500s?

I think it’s about flexibility as much as anything - we only went back because we found great prices. We would have gone somewhere else otherwise!
Old 31 Oct 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Ok so my favourite of the two trips was the one we spent most of the three weeks in Hawaii. Also it allowed us to go to three islands :-)

Personally, while I think Aulani is lovely (and it is really really lovely) it’s just a really fabulous resort not really near a lot of other things. We went there on both trips but I sort of wish we’d not bothered and saved the money (which was CONSIDERABLE) for something else.

We just love exploring the islands, the fabulous food, scenery and wonderful people. That sort of exists in Aulani but the food court is the basic Disney over priced stuff.

I think next time we go, we won’t prioritise Aulani unless we want a place to relax / chill and because both times we were only there for 2/3 days it was a lot of effort to get there for what was simply a really super lovely beach resort with a Disney twist. I love Hawaii for being in ‘Hawaii’ and at Aulani I felt I could have been anywhere.
Where do you stay on Maui
Can you give me a realistic cost of food (family of 4)
TIA
Old 1 Nov 19, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Where do you stay on Maui
Can you give me a realistic cost of food (family of 4)
TIA
We stayed in South Maui near Wailea Beach both times (walking distance). I believe West Maui May have cheaper but still lovely condos? Hard to say for food. Would you eat out always or cook in?
Old 1 Nov 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed in South Maui near Wailea Beach both times (walking distance). I believe West Maui May have cheaper but still lovely condos? Hard to say for food. Would you eat out always or cook in?
We stayed here:

First trip
rentalsmaui/vacation...and-champions/

Second trip:
rentalsmaui/vacation.../wailea-ekahi/
Old 1 Nov 19, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I need to properly start researching I don’t even know the area I should stay in
Is the Island big, do we need a car, do they have Uber, I’m not adverse to cooking we aren’t fancy eaters anyway and tbh food is a means to an end so if it’s really exp I would cut back on that as I would prefer to spend the money in the malls when bk in California. We will do Maui, Waikiki beach and a few days in Auluni as if we don’t ever go back I need to stay here. I haven’t researched this as yet so have no clue on how long I need or even at this point the must sees(which is why I at first come to the experts to get my bearings)
Thank you so much for your help