Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Mar 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
NikNak
Excited about Disney

I was referred a few years ago and my sister was referred last year too, both turned out to be completely fine but like you, we both worried ourselves sick. Felt really stupid for it afterwards but you just can't help it at the time. Hope all goes well for you x
Old 14 Mar 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve been referred twice - once for a dent and once for swelling. In our area they seem to have a low threshold for referral into the breast clinic.

Both times I’ve been seen within days, I’ve seen a consultant or consultant nurse, and then sent for an ultrasound. The first time I had the ultrasound a week later (but had full reassurance that it was precautionary after being examined by the consultant), the second time I had ultrasound on the day. Both times I was scanned by a consultant radiologist who was able to give me reassurance.

I hope it all goes well, do try not to worry too much. In my experience the staff do all they can to reassure you at all stages. I’d recommended taking a book or something to do whilst you wait - due to the nature of the clinic the waits can be rather long, particularly if you have testing on the day.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I've been a few times, I've had a lump after mastitis that was drained and then a few more lumps that turned out to be cysts. I know its hard but try not to worry, they told me straight away that it was a cyst.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had a lump December 2017 and was referred as 'urgent-cancer suspected' - still had to wait about 3 weeks for an appointment. I went for a mammogram one day followed by an out patient appointment the following day where I had an ultrasound. Thankfully everything was fine.
My sister in law had a lump recently and was referred as routine and waited almost 12 weeks for an appointment- thankfully she was also fine.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Natalie whatever it turns out to be...it will be ok. I know it's terrifying but you will deal with it. Sending you lots of positive vibes xxx
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

Hi Natalie - sending you lots of positive vibes xx

My daughter was on the two week pathway and in terms of process was first taken in by a nurse and had some physical measurements, height, weight etc and then saw a doctor who explained what they would be doing and then did an examination of her breasts.
She then went down for an ultrasound - this was painless just a bit cold when the gel was applied!
She then went back to the doctor for the results. He had already explained that she could need a biopsy done that same day if required and that this was the only uncomfortable element. As it happened she didn't, the ultrasound didn't indicate a need.

Your GP is doing all the right things by referring you on - do let us know how you get on x

DRP 7 times to date!
Anaheim 1984, 1995, 2005
Miami and Kissimmee 1992, Highland Reserve 2011
Universal Cabana Bay, Disney Caribbean Beach, Miami, Key West 2015
New York New York Las Vegas 2016
NYC and Los Angeles 2017
Chicago to Vegas Route 66 Road Trip 2019
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

Mobile

The people that run the clinics are superb. Honestly they will put you at ease throughout. Everybody was so lovely. the shock at finding I had a lump stopped my world from turning. I sobbed throughout the whole consultation. Everybody was so kind and caring. Tell them if you are nervous or upset they all were so caring. Huge hugs to you xxx
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

I've been referred to the clinic several times over the years for various problems. I have a large cyst, cluster cysts (lots of tiny cysts all lumped together) and fibroademona. All are non cancerous and each time I've been discharged from the clinic with no further visits needed.

You mention pain and swelling - my cluster cysts swell and become painful every month, from about 10 days before my period until it starts, the pain and swelling getting gradually worse until my period starts then the swelling goes down and the pain goes away until a couple of weeks later. I'm used to the cycle of it now, but it can be very uncomfortable.

Good luck with your appointment, and try not to worry (easier said than done I know).

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve been referred to the breast clinic 5 times over the last 13 years for various things and each and every time I’ve been just like you. It consumed me so much, and it’s perfectly natural to be feeling so worried. Like you I have kids and my kids were tiny when I was first referred.

In my experience the staff at the breast clinics are very understanding and professional, they deal with this all day every day. I’ve been referred for lumps, swelling, discharge, and fullness under my armpit.

Most of my experiences I came away with good news. The one stop shop they do now is so much more reassuring than when I first went and you had to wait a few weeks for a scan etc. Good luck 😍😍

Edited at 10:19 PM.
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by NatalieG View Post
What happens at the appointment? X

You will be seen by a Dr who will examine you, then you go for a mammogram and a scan and then see the Dr again who reviews the results of the mammogram/scan. Sometimes a biopsy is taken at this point. Take a book as there is a lot of waiting around. In my experience all the staff have been lovely x
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List