Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Selina. Even in Florida I read BBC News so spotted this.

Not a gas explosion I see but have they any idea what it was that caused it?
Was it construction work that went wrong?
Very worrying.
It appears that the builders building flats next door dug the metre deep footings along the full length of the house and it made it unstable. Richards says you must dig a bit of footings and fill it with concrete, then dig another bit and fill it etc to keep things stable. It’s going to get messy because the builders are accepting no liability. Funny how it’s been there for 120 yrs with no issues and these builders dig along by it and it falls over!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
It appears that the builders building flats next door dug the metre deep footings along the full length of the house and it made it unstable. Richards says you must dig a bit of footings and fill it with concrete, then dig another bit and fill it etc to keep things stable. It’s going to get messy because the builders are accepting no liability. Funny how it’s been there for 120 yrs with no issues and these builders dig along by it and it falls over!
Mmm, going to be an Insurers and Lawyers fest by the look of it then. Sad for the house owners. Hope they have good Insurance.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

How close is the building work to the house? Hopefully there’s a party wall agreement in place which would make it easier for resolution 🤞
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
How close is the building work to the house? Hopefully there’s a party wall agreement in place which would make it easier for resolution 🤞
I think it’s unlikely, builders have gone to ground, not answering their phone this morning to the demolition company about moving the machinery. Wouldn’t give insurance details to anyone either.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
It’s been taken down today, demolition company arrived as I was leaving fir work at 7.30 this morning and have just stopped. Richard has been helping all day to salvage stuff for the tenant and owner, I’ve been helping since 2pm when I got in from work. Funny how there’s been literally hundreds of folks here taking photos etc, but no one here when it involves lugging sofas down the road. The family have been housed at the bottom of our street so not far to go thankfully but we’re both knackered!
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
voicon
Apprentice Imagineer

voicon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It’s been taken down today, demolition company arrived as I was leaving fir work at 7.30 this morning and have just stopped. Richard has been helping all day to salvage stuff for the tenant and owner, I’ve been helping since 2pm when I got in from work. Funny how there’s been literally hundreds of folks here taking photos etc, but no one here when it involves lugging sofas down the road. The family have been housed at the bottom of our street so not far to go thankfully but we’re both knackered!
That's life these days, anything happens and instead of thinking "can I help out" it's "where's my phone".

Good on you for giving them a hand
voicon is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

I think it’s unlikely, builders have gone to ground, not answering their phone this morning to the demolition company about moving the machinery. Wouldn’t give insurance details to anyone either.
That's appalling

Well done for getting stuck in and helping out, I'm sure it means a lot to both the tenant and the owner. I'm glad they've got alternative accommodation that's very close too - that must help. You deserve to put your feet up this evening!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Oh wow I’ve missed this in the news. Lucky that they weren’t in but imagine coming back and needing your home demolished!

A similar thing happened around here recently. A car crashed into a family’s living room, luckily they were in holiday. This photo was taken when it happened but now there’s no front or inside to the house.

Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

How did they manage to get the stuff out to salvage it? I saw this o the news and my first thought was that it was so unstable it would be unsafe to clear it out.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Selina & Richard. Well done to the pair of you. How nice to help out a family in need. And so sad nobody else mucked in.
I know you both so well and your post sums up the pair of you. Always willing to help, approachable and friendly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List