Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Pluto201
Trying for More Ears

Pluto201's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Relocating to Plymouth?

Hi Dibbers,
Long story short I have just be offered a job in Plymouth and was wondering if there is anyone on here who could give me any advise about good (or bad) areas to live in? And any general advice about the area would be great.
Thanks in advance
POFQ February 2020
POP April 2022
Pluto201 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pluto201 View Post
Hi Dibbers,
Long story short I have just be offered a job in Plymouth and was wondering if there is anyone on here who could give me any advise about good (or bad) areas to live in? And any general advice about the area would be great.
Thanks in advance
I would look at the area on the Tavistock Road that goes out of Plymouth, past Crownhill Police Station and out onto Dartmoor. There are a lot of good, Victorian houses along that road.

I would not personally want to live in Plymouth itself, but of course, budget comes into it. There are many socially deprived areas.

If I was to get a job in Plymouth, I would look at Tavistock, Ashburton, Callington or similar. If it had to be near the city, then Plymstock. There is plenty of quality and beauty around Plymouth, just not much in it. It is still a magnificent harbour and you only have to cross the Tamar to find Antony, Mount Edgecombe, Cawsand etc.

I would avoid Swilley (now called North Prospect, but still Swilley), St Budeaux, Devonport, Stonehouse, Ernesettle, Millbay, Efford, Mutley.

Sorry to sound a little negative, but Plymouth is very much a dockyard town that the Navy have now due to downsizing, left with a great deal of unemployment. Good shopping, though and with dozens of very nice towns and villages within 20 miles. I would become a commuter.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:25 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Agreed 👍 if you are in a position to commute from surrounding areas, Tavistock and callington are both nice

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Agree with the above, do your research as there are some lovely town houses in town ( funny that) but some are in terrible places.

Is the job in the city centre? Traffic can be horrendous at times in lots of directions so worth considering this too. You could even live in Cornwall and commute.
Old 8 Sep 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Majik
slightly serious Dibber

We live in a small village a few miles from Plymouth. The countryside is beautiful and the coast within walking distance.

Cant say I recognise the negativity posted already.

There are good and bad places in most cities but generally Plymouth feels like a safe and nice place to live.

Beautiful views from our 3 bedroom villa at
Hunters Creek
www.villas4orlandoflorida.com

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/villa-search.php?a=405

Edited at 10:26 AM.
Majik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Majik View Post
We live in a small village a few miles from Plymouth. The countryside is beautiful and the coast within walking distance.

Cant say I recognise the negativity posted already.

There are good and bad places in most cities but generally Plymouth feels like a safe and nice place to live.
Perhaps I spent too much time dealing with Plymouth issues from a Police perspective. We spent very little time in ‘nice’ areas, more the socially deprived ones.. and Home Park on match days.

Many people who live in Plymouth have never walked through the heart of Swilley, St Budeaux, Devonport etc and certainly not at night. Some of Plymouth is very unpleasant. It isn’t all about the shopping centre .

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I would look at the area on the Tavistock Road that goes out of Plymouth, past Crownhill Police Station and out onto Dartmoor. There are a lot of good, Victorian houses along that road.

I would not personally want to live in Plymouth itself, but of course, budget comes into it. There are many socially deprived areas.

If I was to get a job in Plymouth, I would look at Tavistock, Ashburton, Callington or similar. If it had to be near the city, then Plymstock. There is plenty of quality and beauty around Plymouth, just not much in it. It is still a magnificent harbour and you only have to cross the Tamar to find Antony, Mount Edgecombe, Cawsand etc.

I would avoid Swilley (now called North Prospect, but still Swilley), St Budeaux, Devonport, Stonehouse, Ernesettle, Millbay, Efford, Mutley.

Sorry to sound a little negative, but Plymouth is very much a dockyard town that the Navy have now due to downsizing, left with a great deal of unemployment. Good shopping, though and with dozens of very nice towns and villages within 20 miles. I would become a commuter.
Ahhh good old Swilly! Good to see you didn’t forget St Budeaux too.

Concur Tavistock Rd and North are lovely areas
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

I live in Plymouth (well, Plymstock to be precise). I would say where to live depends on three things -
1: where you work
2: your budget
3: what you like to do in your spare time
I agree that Tavistock and areas around are lovely, but I like the beach and so it is too far from the coast for my taste. But if you like the moors and are working at the hospital or anywhere in the north of the city, it’s perfect. Personally, I Don’t think Callington is great, either as a place to live or to commute to Plymouth, but for value for money it is pretty good and commute to the hospital is pretty good also. Although, any problems with high winds or an accident can make commuting over the Tamar bridge troublesome. Plymstock is my area of choice because the secondary schools (and primary schools) are very good but the house prices are relatively high particularly compared to the architectural value of them (the houses round here are pretty bland on the whole).
If you are on a tight budget, I don’t think there are any no go areas particularly. Even the areas that used to be the worst have been largely regenerated and are home to a lot of just ordinary working people. Most of the old north prospect has been knocked down and new houses rebuilt. If you are on an average budget and want to be near town, peverell and mannamead and Hartley have nice Victorian/Edwardian houses and are near to the grammar schools. Mount Gould, st judes, Greenbank and Mutley are the student/rental type areas. Southway was basically a huge council estate of its time, mostly owner occupied now and fine but not very pretty. Whitleigh and ernesettle again built as council Estates, not great schools. Wembury is nice - right next to beach, about 20 minutes into city centre but not much choice of housing (a lot of bungalows).
Anyway, Plymouth is great, near to the beach, near to the moors, great schools. City centre is okay for essentials but when we want to proper shopping it’s only 45 minutes to Exeter.

Edited at 02:34 PM.
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I’d choose to live in Looe, it’s about 18 miles away.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Themousefamily
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
I’d choose to live in Looe, it’s about 18 miles away.
Those 18 ‘cornish’ miles can equal an hour of driving time
Themousefamily is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List