Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jun 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Banning girls wearing socks at school

Do any of your dds secondary schools only allow girls to wear tights (i.e. Not socks) either all year or part of the year?
Uniform change at my dd school disallowing socks apart from in summer term which seems bonkers to me. Just interested if this applies in other schools.
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinkjojo
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Doesn't apply in my daughters school, nor would she be happy being told she has to wear tights as she hates them! Seems a bit unfair tbh, I'm all for compulsory uniform but think that's a bit too far.
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Tbh my DD wouldn't wear socks for school any more (she's 12). She does wear them under trousers in the winter, but wouldn't wear them with a skirt any more. They have a choice of socks, and thinner black opaque tights in summer - she always opts for this so I buy her the body sensor ones from M&S where they are meant to regulate your temperature.

I agree it seems a bit barmy not allowing socks, if they wanted to stipulate - they do at DD's school - it's black 'school' socks.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pinkjojo View Post
Doesn't apply in my daughters school, nor would she be happy being told she has to wear tights as she hates them! Seems a bit unfair tbh, I'm all for compulsory uniform but think that's a bit too far.
My dd not impressed at all! Hates tights.
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
From September my daughters high school is introducing this policy. She isn't looking forward to feeling uncomfortable in tights all day. She says they are itchy and she is always hot. I understand the school doing it though with the girls folding their skirt waistbands making their skirt way too short. Something else for her to moan about in a morning !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tink75 View Post
Tbh my DD wouldn't wear socks for school any more (she's 12). She does wear them under trousers in the winter, but wouldn't wear them with a skirt any more. They have a choice of socks, and thinner black opaque tights in summer - she always opts for this so I buy her the body sensor ones from M&S where they are meant to regulate your temperature.

I agree it seems a bit barmy not allowing socks, if they wanted to stipulate - they do at DD's school - it's black 'school' socks.
They're already very strict with the socks, navy only, knee length with ankle allowed in the summer term.

Tights have to be black opaque 40 denier or more. This is a state school by the way but girls only.
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My dd's school has stipulated they prefer trousers as the girls have been wearing unsuitable skirts. I've never seen anyone in skirts and socks there.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by firsttimemouse View Post
They're already very strict with the socks, navy only, knee length with ankle allowed in the summer term.

Tights have to be black opaque 40 denier or more. This is a state school by the way but girls only.
They must have had people not following the policy, that's the only reason I can think of that they would change it. It's a shame that it's always a minority that spoils things for the majority. Although, as I said, my DD12 wouldn't wear socks now - it's bad enough wearing shorts and pe socks in pe !
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
DD's school has knee length socks. All the girls have to wear them, white ankle in summer but I don't think I've seen any girls in them. It's the hitching the skirts up that must have caused the policy change at our school. Mine goes out of the house the right length but what it is when she gets there I don't know.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

my DD is in her last week ever of wearing school uniform - she wears a skater skirt and knee-high socks. She has worn this summer and winter for the last 2 years, she hates tights (as do I). I think if there was a strict uniform regime at her school where no socks were allowed, she'd go back to wearing school trousers instead (although no doubt there would be rules about those too).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List