Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Apr 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Talking We're all going on a Poly-holiday - October 2019: Day 9: Hey, Hei Hei!

Day 9: Hey, Hei Hei!
Monday 21 October 2019

Index

A very early start to beat the crowds at Hollywood Studios, breakfast in Toy Story Land, Millennium Falcon, Slinky Dog Dash, Jack Jack Cookie num num, back to the hotel for pizza and a BIG costume change then the best evening ever at MNSSHP in our costumes and sugared nuts and beer in bed

We hadn’t managed to fit in a ride on Slinky Dog or to visit Galaxy’s Edge yet and it looked like the only way to do it was to get there during the EMH (6-9am).

We didn't quite get to the park for 6am but made it on to the bus for 6:10am along with several other tired looking families and made it to HS by about 6:30am at which point it was still really quiet.

We went straight to Toy Story Land with the intention of riding as many rides as possible before breakfast.

There was no wait at all for TSMM (despite the sign saying otherwise) so we got in line.

We had a great time as always

Not so happy with my scores though I tried so hard, too!

Hey, girls!

Next we thought we would try and queue for Slinky, which had about a 10 minute wait

This was our first time ever on this ride and we loved it so much, we wish the fast pass system was better at the time we went to allow us to go on it more than once on the vacation - maybe next time.

Next we walked over to Alien Swirling Saucers and it was also a walk on - we loved it, it was so much fun

Having conquered all the rides in Toy Story Land already we rewarded ourselves with breakfast at Woody’s Lunch Box. It wasn’t busy at all and we managed to find a table to eat at. We weren’t that hungry so we just shared an adult meal and had some drinks.

We loved the theming here it’s so cute and really clever.

Lotso

Love this cheese seat

And this cracker

Babybel!

We chose the breakfast bowl to share which was a hearty portion of Potato Barrels smothered in Smoked Brisket Country Gravy, Scrambled Eggs and a sprinkling of Green Onions. We used a QS credit for this including a drink; it was really good.

After breakfast, we walked through to Galaxy’s Edge - as we walked through the Toy Story Land exit to Galaxy’s Edge we were handed guides. The theming was fabulous.

We decided we just had to get one of the cool Galaxy’s Edge exclusive Diet Cokes we had seen all over social media and used a snack credit. We still have the bottle at home for a keepsake. It’s pretty cute.

The Falcon!

Even the toilets were fantastically themed - superb attention to detail.

We saw that the Star Wars: Millennium Falcon – Smugglers Run ride was showing a 20 minute wait and thought that was pretty good so went for it. There was so much to see in the queue it didn’t feel too long at all.

We were assigned our roles - Andy I were gunners and the girls were pilots

It was a very clever ride we all really enjoyed it. Although my accuracy left a lot to be desired… also it was a very bumpy ride (I don’t think our pilots had much previous flying experience!)

I love this pic of Izzy and Andy

Back at the entrance the queue for the Millennium Falcon was now showing as 40 minutes but it was also queued right out the entrance so I think we got there just in time.

We had a really good explore in all the shops

Uh oh… a Storm Trooper

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 06:37 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
We were supposed to go to Oga’s Cantina for some drinks and snacks but there was a huge queue even for the people who had reservations. We were so so hot and there was nowhere in the shade to wait so we decided to move our reservation to another day as we just weren’t feeling it.

They said there was a 45 minute wait - I’m sorry but what’s the point in a reservation if you still have to wait that long! I checked five minutes later and our reservation had already been snagged

We had a bit more of a browse in as many shady places as we could and had some water to try and cool off.

We decided to use a snack credit to try the Kat Saka corn - a colourful blend of Sweet and Spicy flavours

It was pretty nice but quite a small portion.

We noticed they were selling some kind of weird alien thing which looked Galaxy’s Edge’s version of a Banshee. It wasn’t particularly cute and was very expensive. We aren’t massive Star Wars fans so he didn’t make it home with us

The theming for Ronto Roasters was very cool but also a bit gross looking

These carvings were awesome

We started to walk towards our fast pass for the day - Rock N Rollercoaster and browsed in some shops on the way.

Chewie!

I loved this Bo Peep backpack

RNR

After an awesome ride we noticed that the Tower of Terror was showing as a short wait so we got in line

And guess what… it was still showing as no wait so we went on again! Looks like everyone was going to Toy Story Land and Galaxy’s Edge instead!

We were in search of a Jack Jack’s cookie nom nom for a snack next and on the way we stopped off to see the Voyage of the Little Mermaid - I swear they’ve added more water to the effects now - we got drenched - haha

We walked round to Pixar Place to get our cookie but it wasn’t quite open yet - we saw that Edna Mode was meeting people inside and didn’t have a queue so went inside to meet her.

This made me chuckle

The girls chatting to Edna

Back outside there were a couple of Incredibles characters just wandering around meeting people and the girls got to meet Mrs Incredible for a picture.

The cart had finally opened so we queued up to get one to share.

We also got an iced coffee and a water for the girls.

As I was taking a picture of the girls with their cookie - they were photobombed by Mrs Incredible again - I love this pic

The cookie was as good as we remembered from when we had it in California. A great use of a snack credit!

Mr Freeze was also there, greeting everyone.

We walked over for one more family picture then decided we’d better get back to the resort to get some lunch and relax before our big night at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP)

Back at the Poly

We all agreed that the easiest (and most delicious) option for lunch was PIZZA from Capt.Cook’s

So tonight was a very exciting night - MNSSHP - we had been to two MNSSHPs in the past as a family and dressed up on both occasions - in 2014, where we dressed up as Disney Villains - Gaston, Queen of Hearts, Ursula and Cruella De Ville

And in 2016 when we dressed up characters from Wreck It Ralph - Fix It Felix, Wreck It Ralph, Vanellope Von Schweetz and Taffyta Muttonfudge

This year’s theme, which had been months and months in the making was… MOANA!

But we wanted to showcase some of the more obscure characters in the movie - ones you might not necessarily be able to buy costumes for and they were Hei Hei, Tamatoa, Te Fiti and Te Ka.

We toyed with lots of different themes but all decided as a family that this could really work. I got to work designing some costumes by sketching out ideas and figuring how (as a non-sewer) I was going to be able to create these costumes and make them look half decent. I really didn’t want to just buy the costumes (not that there’s anything wrong with that I just love giving myself the challenge of making things and I love being creative).

After some initial sketches and discussions with the family, we all chose our characters (read: the girls chose their characters and Andy and I got to choose between the other two…)

So… after months of blood, sweat and tears…. Here they are!

My costume - Tamatoa!

This outfit consisted of:

A Shell backpack with treasure on it - to make this I used one of the girls old school bags, hot glued tin foil all over it and loads of decorative shells and buttons etc and sprayed it all gold. I then stuck on Maui’s magical fish hook as a finishing touch.

Claws - I bought some red claws and sprayed them purple (leaving a bit of red showing through like Tamatoa has)

Purple jumpsuit and top - I just bought these but chose long sleeve and long legged so I didn’t have to cover myself in purple facepaint

Edited at 05:31 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Extra crab legs - I made these by getting stretchy purple lycra and drawing out the shape I would like in chalk, sewing them by hand (badly) and stuffing them with the insides of some old cushions, then I sewed them onto the jumpsuit and sewed little hook eye fastenings to the arms of my top snd to the extra legs themselves and put fishing wire in between so that when I lifted my arms they lifted too.

Purple shoes - I just bought cheap white pumps from Primark and sprayed them purple.

Antenna / glow up eyes - I bought a set on eBay but they only had pink and the eyes were too big so I used acetone to remove the eyes from the eyeballs and drew on a set that looked more like Tamatoa’s eyes and them I taped these up and sprayed the rest purple.

I finished this off with some purple lipstick and finally LOTS of glitter because obviously I had to be SHINY! - I had so much highlighter, face glitter and hair glitter on, we kept finding random bits of glitter days later

Here I am!

And a picture of Tamatoa for reference

Next was Izzy as Te Ka!

Izzy’s outfit consisted of:

A flame effect leotard, a flame themed masquerade mask a black tutu, black shoes and a flame effect wig (I sourced all of these online)

Lava effect top and gloves - I bought a long sleeved orange t shirt and some orange cotton gloves and painted them with black fabric paint to represent the charred black surface with orange lava hiding behind.

Light up flame hands - I used red orange and yellow organza with wire in it and twisted this into flame shapes wrapped around a tiny light up LED light and attached to the hands with some elastic.

And finally, a light up chest swirl which I made by hot gluing some battery powered LED lights onto a square of felt, which I put underneath Izzy’s leotard so they shone through. You could see these better in low lighting in real life.

I finished Izzy’s outfit off with some eye make up and black lipstick and she was good to go.

And Te Ka for reference

Next, Immy as Te Fiti

Her outfit consisted of:

A flower crown which I made my hot gluing fake flowers and leaves to an old headband

A hand made woollen wig - to make this I bought several different shades and textures of green wool, a wig cap and a little silver hook. I painstakingly looped through one stand at a time and tied a little knot on the inside to keep it in I also hot glued some to the roots to prevent it looking gappy.

I originally wanted to buy one of these on Etsy but the ones I liked were literally hundreds of pounds and I had a feeling I could figure out how to do it. It took me about 20 hours to make it but I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

A long sleeved green top, green tights and green gloves - all sourced online

A green tutu dress looped through a stretchy crochet top with ribbon and tulle with hot glued flowers

Green shoes - again I bought cheap white pumps from Primark and sprayed them green.

I finished off the outfit with TONS of green facepaint, some green lipstick and some make up. We took this with us as I knew I would need to reapply in the Florida heat!

A light up “heart of Te Fiti swirl - made with battery powered LED lights that I glued onto a square of felt and put underneath Immy’s dress

And Te Fiti for reference

Here they are together

The final costume was Hei Hei!

This outfit consisted of:

A Hoodie - I bought a matching turquoise tracksuit (hoodie and trousers) online and I cut out and hot glued loads of felt feathers all over the body. I then hot glued red felt to the head and made a beak out of yellow felt and added purple and red felt details, I then hot glued white polystyrene balls as giant eyes and added little black felt circles for the eyeballs

Some trousers which I glued more feathers to the legs and some larger feathers to the butt

Some yellow tights I sourced online

Shoes - I bought some cheap pumps from Primark again and cut and hot glued some novelty bird feet to them then sprayed them all yellow.

I’m so happy with how this turned out

Hei Hei for reference

Once we were all dressed we were ready to brave it and go out there in our fancy dress. We had already seen a couple of people walking around in costume at lunch time, so we knew we wouldn’t be the only ones.

I honestly lost count how many compliments we got that night, we were totally flattered and blown away by everyone’s kind words and it really made all the effort I had put in worth it!

In fact, ALL NIGHT we heard "Hey, Hei Hei! "

In the Poly lobby about to get the monorail to MK

Even the security guards loved the costumes and they particularly loved that my bag was themed too as they checked it over.

We hopped on the monorail and finally arrived at MK - lots of people were dressed up and we didn’t feel self conscious at all - just HOT!

As we walked towards the magic band scanners a group of young friends leaving the park started freaking out and going “OH MY GOD, LOOK! ” They asked if they could take a picture with us and then of just them and the girls - they kept saying “you guys look awesome” and one of the girls proceeded to show me her outfit and her phone case which was all Moana themed. They said goodbye and in we went to the park and got our special MNSSHP wristbands!

It was around 6pm now and we thought we’d better get some daylight photos before it got dark and before wigs started to slip and facepaint started to melt and also eat before the park filled up with the rest of the MNSSHP guests as it started officially at 7pm so we stopped along Main Street a few times for some photos on our way to Pecos Bill for some dinner.

We sat down in the restaurant and got some tacos and nachos which were really good. A little boy kept waving at me and kept saying “SHINY!” I was like “yeah! ” Thrilled with the cuteness and the fact he recognised who I was supposed to be

We walked back round to the front of the park so we could go through the proper MNSSHP entrance and get our treat bags and bumped into these spooky CMs on the way - how cool!

OK here we go! The party has officially started!

Love this light

On our way in

Before we started trick or treating properly there was one character we really really wanted to meet in our costumes and that was… Moana! She was meeting guests inside the Enchanted Tiki Room queue and this was probably our biggest queue of the holiday but we thought it would be worth it for the picture. It was about 45 minutes in total but her reaction was fantastic and she made a huge fuss of the girls.

In line a CM look some magic pics for us with Hei Hei sat on our arm - it was very appropriate!

The girls chatting with Moana

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Old 13 Apr 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
And here are our castle pics

We walked round a hit some of the treat trails - we had some many lovely compliments from other guests and also from cast members, some cast members even asked if they could take pictures with us

Around by Haunted Mansion we thought it might be cool to go on but I think everyone and their Mum’s also thought the same so we just went and got spooky pictures instead.

This fog is so cool

Haunted Mansion

There was a magic shot you could do at the gates holding up a light to the sign - true to form the girls managed to argue about this small task, which resulted in this picture of one of them looking a bit moody…

We knew one of the best parts about MNSSHP for us was the Boo To You Halloween Parade so we sat down opposite country bear jamboree nice and early to get a good seat. We started munching on our candy as we waited and had some water to drink.

And here it is!

Love this bit

It was absolutely brilliant and we had lots of characters coming up to us and interacting with us, which was really fun.

Now time for more trick or treating!

After lots more treat stops we eventually got round to another photo pass location - every other photo pass photographer of the holiday had been wonderful but this woman was about as miserable as they come. We stood where we thought the entrance was, which turned out to be the exit (there was no one else in line) and she said - can you line up at the other end please? (we looked at each other a bit bemused but followed her instruction.

She waited a couple of seconds and then called us forward - it was kind of like that scene in Meet the Parents when Ben Stiller is at the airport and the air hostess won’t let him line up despite there being no other passengers there waiting She then proceeded to take the picture really quickly without checking it, scanned our band and then looked away and didn't even say thank you or bye… very odd.

I’m not even sure what was supposed to be “magic” about this shot anyway!

Oh well…

Now if the previous CM was an example of how NOT to treat guests at a Disney park then the next CM’s were the polar opposite - so much so we just had to tweet them a cast compliment for their wonderful service.

We walked in to Storybook Treats for a little browse on the way to the next treat location and some of the CMs noticed our costumes and all came over to us saying how fantastic we looked, we thanked them, then they started calling other CMs over to see too. One of them was a manager and she said they were the best costumes she'd ever seen!

We thanked her so much and started slowly walking to exit and saying goodbye then she said - do you guys like slushies? We were all boiling hot and parched and nodded enthusiastically. She then got us all a slushy of our choice each for free because she loved our costumes.

We were so thankful we all posed for a photo together to commemorate the moment! Best CMs ever!

We had walked quite a lot so far that day and we really didn’t fancy battling the crowds to get a good front row view of the new Halloween fireworks and we remembered Jenn Tracker saying in one of their vlogs that actually watching the fireworks from Fantasyland was a really nice alternative way of seeing them. We perched ourselves on a wall, sat down with our drinks and watched them - it was only us around and it was really nice and chilled out. Although we couldn’t see the projections, you could hear the music and all of the main fireworks and we all loved it.

We carried on round to Tomorrowland and thought the teacups looked really awesome all lit up in Halloween colours

We stopped for a short dance at the dance party

Then got a few more treats and pictures and saw these cool Tomorrowland signs

And this ghost sign

We had lasted til about 11:30pm, which we were pretty chuffed with considering our early start.

See ya real soon!

Aaaand we’re back!

We had a look at our candy haul and it was ridiculous!

Now to get this green face paint off before bed before it stains permanently!

The girls were showered and fast asleep in bed and Andy and I showered and changed into comfy pyjamas with some American television in the background and finished off the most crazy and wonderful day with some sugared nuts and beer in bed.

Edited at 05:50 PM.
Old 13 Apr 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You are so clever, those costumes are amazing! Lovely pics
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Fantastic costumes, wow, another great day! The best day yet!
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Omg the costumes! Well done
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Wow those costumes are amazing!

Another great day - you got so much done in Hollywood Studios - worth the early start!
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

Oh my gosh your costumes were AMAZING! I'm super impressed you did these yourself without any sewing skills - they look totally awesome!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Wow, you are really clever. Such great costumes.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List