Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jun 17, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
rach19
Imagineer

rach19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by trev View Post
Try Admiral Black Box
This was the cheapest when we insured DS as a new driver. They were also the cheapest when we came to renew. We also had some ridiculous quotes that were more than the car is worth.
Cabana bay, gulf coast and Miami Aug 2018
All Star Music and Dolphin split stay Aug/Sept 2022
rach19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Trev, thanks for the Admiral tip.
Like the OP looking to insure my daughters first car
They have been lowest at £830
less than I expected

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
vickyc651
Imagineer

Adding myself as named driver and paying in full rather than monthly brought my daughters down to only £878 for her 1st year, that was without any box. This was for a brand new Vauxhall Adam.
Old 15 Jun 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
lillywhite01
slightly serious Dibber

lillywhite01's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by lam View Post
You are all so lucky you dont live in the republic of ireland.
Honestly you'd freak at the quotes they give you.

even an over 50 driver like me, low mileage, no accidents, no convictions, full bonus ,full licence for 25+ years. Cheapest i could get for a nissan almeria was €600 last year but i'm being told to expect nearly €1000 this year.
why?
insurance claims costs AND
none of them want to insure cars over 15 years old(some its 10 years) DESPITE the fact the cars go through a rigorous NCT (like an MOT BUT the results are from a centralised computer so no chance of ignoring or 'fixing').

piece of nonsense if you ask me!
You need to challenge your insurance company. Mine came in this year €250 more despite no changes in car, risk etc. I did an online quote with my insurance company and it came in €150 less than my renewal, so I emailed the CEO of my insurance company to ask why the difference. Within 2 days I had a call from them bringing it back down to last years price, no questions!
Old 15 Jun 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

The car also makes a big difference, some older cars have higher quotes than new ones. So it does pay to get quotes for different cars before actually buying a car if you want to get the cheapest insurance.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Mobile

It's insane how expensive insurance is for a 17 year old. I am 24 and just passed my test last week - got myself a little 16 plate Fiat 500 and insurance has cost me £516 with Admiral, no black box.
Old 15 Jun 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It's terrible really, I don't and never do understand why someone looking to insure a 10 year old car should pay more than someone insuring a brand new car. I get that the insurance is for you, but obviously should in my opinion not end up costing more than the actual car!

Best I found was Ingenie and the cheapest cars are lower than a 1.0 (E.g. Matiz, some corsas etc)

Add parent/parents as named drivers and have a black box fitted.

Be careful though upon renewal, I found Ingenie ramped up the price after a year, so just be prepared to switch (as I do for my own insurance anyway) 😄😄😄
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
It's terrible really, I don't and never do understand why someone looking to insure a 10 year old car should pay more than someone insuring a brand new car. I get that the insurance is for you, but obviously should in my opinion not end up costing more than the actual car!

Best I found was Ingenie and the cheapest cars are lower than a 1.0 (E.g. Matiz, some corsas etc)

Add parent/parents as named drivers and have a black box fitted.

Be careful though upon renewal, I found Ingenie ramped up the price after a year, so just be prepared to switch (as I do for my own insurance anyway) 😄😄😄

Its also often cheaper to insure a higher powered car, My DD's friend passed last month she's 17 and her 1.6 Mini is £1100 a year full comp in her name with a box.
When we did my DDs car a 1.6 Zetec S fiesta wasn't much more than her 1.2 fiesta because her's has got the body kit etc as extra's and the Zetec S has it as standard.

My neighbours lad has a 1.4 Zetec fiesta and he pays a whooping £2300 a year for it with a box..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
thehails
Dibbing with Tink

My DS passed his test last year aged 17. He drives a 1.2 corsa and we got him insured with Hastings Smile which is their black box insurance it cost him £1304, literally just got the renewal quote in after 1 year claim free driving and it's dropped to £590.
thehails is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

My son (18) had a black box with admiral but they said he made too many journeys outwith the hours of 22.00 and 05.00. He has a job at McDonalds and regularly finishes work at 11. Admiral wanted to cancel his insurance due to this. He then cancelled with them and paid £400 extra not to have a black box fitted with Provident.
Black boxes are a good idea but caused him a lot of hassle. He has a 10 yr old polo 1.2 which he pays £1400 per year