Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 26 Jun 18, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
No we haven’t - our daughter has been and it’s another on the bucket list, along with Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls, the North Cape, India Golden Triagle, Petra, Indian Ocean islands - I could go on!
went to Machu Picchu for hubby as well (same trip as Galapagos) and Iguazu is tagged on to our South America cruise next year.
India I really enjoyed - also went to Kanha and Bandhavgarh where we saw tigers (AMAZING!) including by elephant back, recommended if you have a bit of extra time.
Petra is on hubby's list too as well as New Zealand but NZ is planned for 2020 as need 3 1/2 weeks for everything we want to do
Too many places and not enough time - first world problems!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

We did a Viking River Cruise to China which was amazing! It included 11 tours including The China Wall. Tienemen Square, Terracotta Warriors etc
Yes we were amongst the youngest at the grand old age of 50 and 54 but there were a few couples younger than us.
Old 27 Jun 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

Can I just ask?

When counting countries visited, do you count UK as 1, or do you count England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland as 4?
Birtie's Trip ReportsOct95~QIP,Aug97~HJ Universal Tower/Wedding,Aug03~BWMovieland/BWPlaza,Feb05~BW ML/POR,Aug07~CBR,Aug08~Rosen Plaza/Marriott Suites Clearwater, Aug09~OKW,Xmas10~ASMu, Aug11~POR,Aug12~POR, Aug13~DCL Med,Xmas13~ASMu, Aug14~RPR/POR,Feb15~Shingle Creek,Aug15~SSR/DCL Western/BC,May16~DCL Norway, Dec 16~BCV/RPR/SSR, Aug 17~AKL/DCL/POL,Aug 19~POR/DCL/BRV,Jan 20~SSR/Vero/RCL,Mar 22~ESSS/SSR,Aug 22 Road Trip, Nov 23~ESSS/SSR/DCL Wish/GF
Birtie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Birtie View Post
Can I just ask?

When counting countries visited, do you count UK as 1, or do you count England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland as 4?
"Pointless" would only allow one - United Kingdom.

Mick
Old 27 Jun 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
"Pointless" would only allow one - United Kingdom.

Mick
Agree - only one country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. England, Scotland, Wales and NI are sometimes referred to as countries as a simplification but strictly speaking they are semi autonomous areas of the UK.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Birtie View Post
Can I just ask?

I use Matador to keep track of mine and they list UK as one.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

I assumed UK did only count as one.

Perhaps rugby needs to rename the Six Nations 🤔
Birtie's Trip ReportsOct95~QIP,Aug97~HJ Universal Tower/Wedding,Aug03~BWMovieland/BWPlaza,Feb05~BW ML/POR,Aug07~CBR,Aug08~Rosen Plaza/Marriott Suites Clearwater, Aug09~OKW,Xmas10~ASMu, Aug11~POR,Aug12~POR, Aug13~DCL Med,Xmas13~ASMu, Aug14~RPR/POR,Feb15~Shingle Creek,Aug15~SSR/DCL Western/BC,May16~DCL Norway, Dec 16~BCV/RPR/SSR, Aug 17~AKL/DCL/POL,Aug 19~POR/DCL/BRV,Jan 20~SSR/Vero/RCL,Mar 22~ESSS/SSR,Aug 22 Road Trip, Nov 23~ESSS/SSR/DCL Wish/GF
Birtie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Hi, I think the river cruise boats are somewhat quiet, imo, especially in terms of entertainment, you would get maybe a singer in the evening, or piano with dinner etc. Daytime activities are plentiful, as they offer lots of cycling or walking tours etc in ports of call, and of course, less sea days, so these are things to consider.

Why not look at Fred Olsen (yes am bias I work there) our ships while smaller, have lots of entertainment (thats my department) and they offer river cruising, even the amazon river! French rivers, german rivers also, but still have decent sized pool, restaurants etc on board. I am 46 and go every year on them, and always have a great time. (We also sail celebrity and royal caribbean)

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Hi, I think the river cruise boats are somewhat quiet, imo, especially in terms of entertainment, you would get maybe a singer in the evening, or piano with dinner etc. Daytime activities are plentiful, as they offer lots of cycling or walking tours etc in ports of call, and of course, less sea days, so these are things to consider.

Why not look at Fred Olsen (yes am bias I work there) our ships while smaller, have lots of entertainment (thats my department) and they offer river cruising, even the amazon river! French rivers, german rivers also, but still have decent sized pool, restaurants etc on board. I am 46 and go every year on them, and always have a great time. (We also sail celebrity and royal caribbean)
well, we (rather 'I') have decided to park river cruising for a good few years as I don't think I'm ready for river cruising yet and also while we complete our rest of the world 'want to visit' list and have booked 2 cruises from Miami (almost back to back) where we've never been and ports include Cuba, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao - none of which we've ever visited before.

No offence Loopyloo but out of the 8 cruise lines we've sailed with so far (with another 2 others already booked), FO is the only one I wouldn't be bothered about going back on (but hubby said he would lol! ) but maybe we'll look at them again when we're thinking of river cruises.
Old 2 Jul 18, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
well, we (rather 'I') have decided to park river cruising for a good few years as I don't think I'm ready for river cruising yet and also while we complete our rest of the world 'want to visit' list and have booked 2 cruises from Miami (almost back to back) where we've never been and ports include Cuba, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao - none of which we've ever visited before.

No offence Loopyloo but out of the 8 cruise lines we've sailed with so far (with another 2 others already booked), FO is the only one I wouldn't be bothered about going back on (but hubby said he would lol! ) but maybe we'll look at them again when we're thinking of river cruises.
Do you mind me asking when and where you went and which ship if you remember? We have recently refurbished half the fleet, what was it that put you off? Your adventures sound amazing by the way am jealous!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List