Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 17, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplelady1
Excited about Disney

DD bitten by a dog!

I wrote this post yesterday but it took me so long to do, I was timed out so I've done it again today.

DD was walking down the road just after lunch today. There was a guy with 2 doģs, both on leads and she says as she got nearer he was bending down as though picking up dog poop.

She walked past and the next thing, one of the dogs had a hold of her arm! The guy pulled the dog off and asked if she was ok. She was really shaken up and a passing motorist must've seen what happened because he stopped, asked where she lived and brought her home. Luckily she wasn't very far away as she'd only just set off 5 minutes beforehand.

I took her to the walk-in centre and she has a tiny bit of broken skin, teeth marks and large bruising and swelling. Its her left forearm and its lucky she had long sleeves and a watch on as it seems the watch strap saved her from further damage. It was quite a big dog and its a large bite mark.

I reported it to the police when we got back from the walk-in and they rang back about 45 minutes later, asked some more questions and said that the dog owner had phoned them just before we did and reported the incident and what do we want to happen next?

Well, that threw us a bit. I thought they would be telling us what would happen next, e.g. this is what we are going to do, kind of thing. They are asking us if we want to prosecute or go with some kind of order so every time he takes the dog out it will have to be on a lead and they may have said a muzzle as well.

Does anyone know what would happen to the guy or the dog if we did prosecute? Does it go to court?

Because the Police asked us what we want to do, my mind is going crazy with all the 'what if' questions. What if DD was a smaller child, it could have been her face it grabbed. What if she hadn't been wearing a watch, the bite mark could have been worse. What if the passing motorist who stopped to help hadn't been passing, would the guy have still reported it himself?

Its taken me about 2 hours to write this post. CSI came earlier to take photographs.

I suppose I am seeking other peoples points of view, like I said its the Police askjng what we want to do which has put me in a quandary.

If you've made it to the end, thanks for reading.
Purplelady1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mater
Proud to wear my Ears

For me personally, I would choose to prosecute. What if it was a very small child? Surely he would know what the dogs capable of and I'd be very surprised if its the first time.

Covid happened and a few different holidays then back to Orlando in 2024.

August 2024 - Rosen Shingle Creek / Loews Royal Pacific
Mater is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post

If a dog is liable too bite (and nobody can ever predict these things) then it should be muzzled in a public place. It is all about whether "the dog is dangerously out of control". Only a court can rule on that based on the evidence presented. One thing I would say is that the owner was concerned enough to contact the Police himself.
At the end of the day - it's your call.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Think of it this way

You don't do anything

Then next week you read the same dog has injured a small child

I'd have to at least go for the muzzle order I think

Glad your daughter isn't badly hurt, what a horrid experience for her.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mater View Post
For me personally, I would choose to prosecute. What if it was a very small child? Surely he would know what the dogs capable of and I'd be very surprised if its the first time.
Exactly this, I don't think I could live with myself if I swept this under the carpet and something unimaginable happened in the future to another child.
The owner must know the dog has an aggressive temperament so it should be muzzled at the very least.
I hope your daughter is ok, I imagine you're all very shocked.
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would think the police can give you some advice or point you in the direction of someone who can. Maybe if you ask them for help on what your options are they should be able to discuss it. I hope your daughter is ok.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

I would not prosecute.

The owner seems responsable calling the police, it must have been horrible for your daughter .
JessBlu is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

I can't really advice you what to do because I would hate to think I had been responsible for a dog being put to sleep but on the other hand if he has done this before then he should be prosecuted. For me I would want him to be told he has to muzzle and have the dog on a lead when he is out, this would mean he couldn't do it again. I am a big softy where animals are concerned and believe there are really no bad dogs but bad owners.
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

I would go for a muzzle order. We have a dog who is the soppiest thing imaginable but he IS a rescue and no one can know, for sure, how he will react to any given situation. When I'm out with him, I keep him on a fairly short leash which I pull tighter to me if I have to stop to pick up poop or some other reason. I also keep him close when other dogs and people pass and check before letting him approach them (or them, him). With children, if they ask to pet him, firstly, I say "Well done for asking" and then hold his collar to be on the safe side. He goes off lead only over the dog park. I adore our boy and he's such a softie but but wouldn't take my eyes off him, when out. Glad your DD is okay xxx
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

I wouldnt want the dog to be put down but i would if possible request the police insist that the dog wears a muzzle when out

The owner sounds like a responsible bloke he rang to police himself to report it

Im glad your dd is ok