Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 25 Jun 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

River cruises

what's people views on river cruising?

I'm not sure we're ready for it yet as seems like it's for 'old' people!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Maybe it's the Yorkshire blood running through our veins but whenever we think that we may fancy it we look at the prices and say we could do 14 days in the Med for the same price as a week on the Rhine.

They also appear to be a bit more formal than sea cruises which doesn't really suit us.

Not much help am I but at 72 years old do we meet your age criteria?

Mick
Old 25 Jun 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

thanks Mick, we'll be 50 and 51 but used to travelling the world a bit further afield so far.
I know the price isn't a bargain but that's not big of an issue - the one we're looking at has 8 countries which would boost my count a bit as not been to 6 of them (57 so far) but not sure if it's going to be too boring as 'entertainment' would be local (not for us!) and nowhere to really escape / explore compared to traditional cruise ships.

We've got a 3 1/2 week cruise and stay in South America next year already booked so can't go anywhere for more than 2 weeks which limits where we can go and a lot of other cruises we've looked at seem to go to too many places we've already been to...

Think perhaps my heart really isn't in to it at this time of our lives and should perhaps start looking back at traditional cruises that offer a slightly different itinerary to the usual?
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Apologies for my somewhat flippant answer but I'm sure that someone with real experience will be more helpful.

Maybe it's because I retired a couple of years ago after wearing a suit and tie for 50 years that anything appearing remotely "formal" just puts me off. We do like cruising though and always have a balcony cabin so that we can open the curtains to a new port (or country) nearly every day.

I'm possibly being too narrow in my pre-conceptions on river cruising so hopefully some real help will be along soon.

Mick
Old 25 Jun 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

think I'm being very narrow minded too, that's what's holding me back.!

Looks like parking this idea for a decade or so and back to the drawing board for next year...
Old 25 Jun 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We’ve done a couple of river cruises - Nile and Yangtze. They were very informal and I guess very different to European river cruises.
I understand what you mean about looking for itineraries that offer something different. We like to visit new places but are in danger of booking holidays (cruises) because they are ‘known’ or ‘comfortable’.
We were looking at places to go next March and considering the usual suspects but in the end pushed ourselves to do a diy trip to Malaysia (Borneo) - we’ve been to Malaysia before but not Borneo. Fortunately good quality hotels are cheap!
We’ve been to 74 countries and there are some still on the bucket list, but there are many we have no desire to visit - we’re past roughing it but still have a passion for travel.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We’ve done a couple of river cruises - Nile and Yangtze. They were very informal and I guess very different to European river cruises.
I understand what you mean about looking for itineraries that offer something different. We like to visit new places but are in danger of booking holidays (cruises) because they are ‘known’ or ‘comfortable’.
We were looking at places to go next March and considering the usual suspects but in the end pushed ourselves to do a diy trip to Malaysia (Borneo) - we’ve been to Malaysia before but not Borneo. Fortunately good quality hotels are cheap!
We’ve been to 74 countries and there are some still on the bucket list, but there are many we have no desire to visit - we’re past roughing it but still have a passion for travel.
wow, 74 is impressive - maybe we should book the river cruise then for an additional 11 next year to chase after you

we looked (briefly) at Borneo last year but our only reason would be orangutans and we were advised that trekking is the best way to see them and I am not built for that lol! We don't do beaches (I hate, loathe and despise sand ) so went off the idea - what will you be doing there if you don't mind me asking?

now thinking possibly of a cruise that takes in Cuba but they don't seem to do anything else exciting so not really worth it for one port
Old 25 Jun 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
wow, 74 is impressive - maybe we should book the river cruise then for an additional 11 next year to chase after you

we looked (briefly) at Borneo last year but our only reason would be orangutans and we were advised that trekking is the best way to see them and I am not built for that lol! We don't do beaches (I hate, loathe and despise sand ) so went off the idea - what will you be doing there if you don't mind me asking?

now thinking possibly of a cruise that takes in Cuba but they don't seem to do anything else exciting so not really worth it for one port
I feel your pain.
Our Malaysia trip is 2 nights Kuala Lumpur (general mooch around as we've been before), 3 nights Kota Kinabalu (Mount Kinabalu NP and Poring Hot Springs); 3 nights Sandakan (Sepilok Orang Utan sanctuary, viewing Sun Bears and Proboscis Monkeys, Turtle Island); 4 Nights Langkawi (chilling); 2 nights KL (we'll try to get out to the Cameron Highlands), overnight in Abu Dhabi on way back. That's our plan so far - hotels and flights booked, lots of planning still to do.
We're doing a Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise in Oct 2019, no new countries but the Maritimes and NE seaboard is an area we want to see a bit more of.
I notice on your list of places visited you have Botswana - that and Namibia are on our bucket list. We've been to South Africa several times and everyone says they are a must see.

Edited at 07:58 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I feel your pain.
Our Malaysia trip is 2 nights Kuala Lumpur (general mooch around as we've been before), 3 nights Kota Kinabalu (Mount Kinabalu NP and Poring Hot Springs); 3 nights Sandakan (Sepilok Orang Utan sanctuary, viewing Sun Bears and Proboscis Monkeys, Turtle Island); 4 Nights Langkawi (chilling); 2 nights KL (we'll try to get out to the Cameron Highlands), overnight in Abu Dhabi on way back. That's our plan so far - hotels and flights booked, lots of planning still to do.
We're doing a Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise in Oct 2019, no new countries but the Maritimes and NE seaboard is an area we want to see a bit more of.
I notice on your list of places visited you have Botswana - that and Namibia are on our bucket list. We've been to South Africa several times and everyone says they are a must see.
sounds a good itinerary.
Namibia is on our list but keeps dropping down for some reason.
Have you been to Galapagos? Hubby's favourite place we've visited (not so much for me tho'! )
Old 25 Jun 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
sounds a good itinerary.
Namibia is on our list but keeps dropping down for some reason.
Have you been to Galapagos? Hubby's favourite place we've visited (not so much for me tho'! )
No we haven’t - our daughter has been and it’s another on the bucket list, along with Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls, the North Cape, India Golden Triagle, Petra, Indian Ocean islands - I could go on!