Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 16 Sep 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Expedition East Coast: Day 9 Lake George & the Adirondacks

27 July

After a good night's sleep, we got up to enjoy our breakfast basket, which had cereals, oatmeal, muffins, drinks etc in it. The fridge was equipped with butter and milk and it made a really nice change from the usual hotel breakfasts.

The back of the motel had plenty of picnic tables but as everywhere was quite damp with dew, we sat on the chairs by our back door and enjoyed being outside. Having our coffee in the fresh air and looking out at the trees was really lovely. The Starlite Motel was a sweet laid back place and we could happily have stayed longer and explored more of the area.

We had to press on though, so we got in the car to set off to the Adirondack Mountains. Again the drive was good and we enjoyed the scenery and the changing landscape. We stopped off at Saratoga Springs, famous for horse racing and the invention of the potato chip and picked up some sandwiches from the Price Chopper supermarket. It had started to rain and we were trying hard not to be too down hearted about it. This year had the most rain we had ever had on holiday and while it wasn't particularly cold, it did make it more difficult to enjoy the outdoor stuff.

We also passed signs for Gobbler's Knob Family Fun Park which was the cause of much hilarity, because we are all basically 9 year old boys at heart.

We arrived at our next hotel, the Adirondack Diamond Point Lodge, on the shores of Lake George, a bit earlier than expected and were pleased to see that the sun had come out and there was a pool. Hannah and I went to check in and had a lovely chat with the guy at reception who was a big fan of all things English, especially the actor Tom Hardy. (We recommended a film of his that isn't very well known; called Locke, it's just Tom Hardy in a car talking on the phone to various people, including his wife, his boss and his mistress. I watched it on a plane and although it shouldn't be very interesting, it is actually quite absorbing and really well done. And you learn a lot about concrete!)

We checked into our room which was more like a little cabin and sat outside it to eat our lunch. Having done a bit of research, we found that you could swim at a couple of beaches on Lake George, so got ready and set off for the car park at Veteran's Beach.

As we were driving, the sky turned a horrible shade of dark grey and it started to rain again. How fantastic. The forecast said it would be short lived and we could see some blue sky not to far away so we pressed on, with Evan getting more and more grumpy in the back of the car. We stopped at one beach and the rain had stopped by then but the beach was closed due to a thunderstorm risk. Evan was seriously fed up now and this wasn't helped by us renaming him "Chuckles" in light of his glowering face. I understood - it's really frustrating for the weather to spoil what you want to do but there is nothing anyone can do about it.

We decided to leave the car and walk to the other beach at Rogers Memorial park to pass the time until the swimming area re-opened. When we got to this one, the beach had just reopened so we got ready to swim and got into the water. The sun was shining now and swimming in the fresh water was just lovely. Chuckles started to enjoy himself now he was swimming and we had a lovely time.

The lake itself is beautiful and we admired the (very expensive looking) houses on the shore, imaging they were summer getaways for rich New Yorkers. Clearly you have to be making "fat stacks" to own one of these!

Evan also took the opportunity to photobomb us.

Back at the motel after our swim, we chilled out on our little porch with a beer. The options for food within walking distance were limited but we settled on the Diamond Point Grill which sounded quite nice. In the end it was just okay but we realised we were all getting a bit fed up of grill type food by now and were craving something a bit different.

On the way back, we called to another patch of shoreline for a picture as it was all so lovely.

Chuckles managed another top photobomb as well.

Back at the lodge, we had a quick game of pool in the games room and the kids took full advantage of the playground.

(Don't worry, it was empty. The giant teenagers didn't have to bully any toddlers off the equipment!)

Back at the room, we sat outside with a drink and got to planning next year's trip . . . Paul's other uncle lives in Chicago, so it could be Chicago and the great lakes. We were loving being lakeside so far and could happily spend time exploring that kind of area. We'll see how it goes.

Although it was quite different to the Starlite Motel, the Adirondack Diamond Point lodge was another laid back and comfortable place to stay and they were both a nice contrast to city hotels. That's one of the best things about a road trip - if you plan it well, you can get some really contrasting experiences and we certainly got those on this trip!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a lovely lake! We really missed having our own waterfront this year!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love the look of the lakes and glad you all got to have a swim, especially Chuckles! The scenery oooks lovely too.

Gobblers Knob made us laugh too!
katiebaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another lovely lake
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Sitting outside with your coffee sounds lovely. Glad the rain cleared so you could enjoy a swim.
Old 30 Sep 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a lovely lake! We really missed having our own waterfront this year!
The lakes were a revelation this year - definitely want to do more lake swimming

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
Love the look of the lakes and glad you all got to have a swim, especially Chuckles! The scenery oooks lovely too.

Gobblers Knob made us laugh too!
Never not funny! And we were all so relieved when Chuckles got to go in the water

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
another lovely lake
It was gorgeous

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Sitting outside with your coffee sounds lovely. Glad the rain cleared so you could enjoy a swim.
We were all so relieved about the rain stopping!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Lake George looks lovely, so glad you finally managed a swim. I hope the weather starts behaving for you, it can certainly be annoying when plans don't work out because of it.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Ooh Tom Hardy films. Not seen Locke will watch that now. Still love The Drop for its twist at the end !
Ah damn this rain, it’s definitely following you !
Evan is a treat in your photos . His sense of humour is priceless.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
billfish3r
First POST

I love fishing in Lake George. Its been a while but I used to do a lot of baitcasting in the lake with my lew’s fishing tournament mb baitcast reel. Those were memorable times. I think its time to go back here and fish again.

Edited at 03:26 PM.
billfish3r is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List