Notices

Old 5 Nov 19, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 10 Botanical Gardens and Going Home

With no alarm set, I woke up about 7 ish. O was a little later. I had done what little packing there was last night (the Tetris cube of getting what little I had into the wheely case! )

I reverted to type for breakfast - eggs and beans with toast and coffee.

My flight was not until 11.45pm so I had the day to fill. We decided we would go out this morning, come back, check out (I had got a late 2pm check out), go for lunch, head to the university to drop O off and then I would head at some stage to the airport.

We headed into the central area of Hong Kong. First stop was another temple - Man Mo Temple. Again, it was right in the middle of a very densely populated area.

Built in the 1800s it is known for its intense burners. O actually walked in and walked out as it really was very smoky.

It wasn't my favourite temple - too touristy!

We then set out for the botanical gardens and zoo. It didn't look too far on the Maro but very very much uphill. Thankfully we came to the mid level escalators which are a series of escalators which take the pain out of walking uphill.

Just before there was a Marks snd Spencer's food shop. We went in for a look. A truffle advent calendar caught O's eye so I treated him to that!

The gardens were signposted and not too much further from the top of the escalators. They were free to enter.

There were lots of information boards about the trees and plants as well as a zoo with mainly animals from the apes world and an aviary.

I am not the biggest fan of zoos at the best of times and this one seemed to have enclosures that were too small and not brilliantly adapted. It was however very popular with families with children and the local maid population who were setting to their picnics for their day off.

The gardens on the other hand were lovely and I can see why people would come here to get out of the hecticness off the city.

We were hot and sweaty by this stage so decided to head back to the hotel for showers. The walk back was at least downhill.

After long showers each and a bit of a rest, we got everything together and headed to check out. I left my wheely back with the concierge. O had 4 bags of stuff that he has accumulated!

Lunch was if course at Pizza Express - why change s gambit of a lifetime. This was our 7th visit! O was happy though - he has had enough pizza to see him through to Christmas!

We then went and got him some sushi- a bargain HK$45 for a tray of 10 salmon on rice and a second tray of salmon, rice and seaweed rolls!

E then got the metro to Hang Hau and then the mini bus to the university.

There had been some graduations as there were lots of students in gowns and mortar boards.

I said goodbye to O with lots of hugs and he left to go and do his laundry as it was getting critical!

I got the mini bus back to Hang Hau where I got a tip from Uniqlo for F from O for her birthday.

I headed back to the hotel to use my drink vouchers on a coffee and a Coke Zero.

At 5.40pm I went to walk the 100m to the bus station - there was a bit of a police presence though no crowds

The bus was a direct one to the airport. It cost HK$42 again. It was freezing on there but did at least have wifi!

I was at the airport at about 7.15pm - way to early. I hate the late departures. I had a wander and a Starbucks before going through security.

There were lots of high end shops I found a seat near the gate and read. We boarded around 11pm. The flight was again full!

Most people seemed to go straight to sleep - me included so I wasn't too impressed to be woken up with my meal. I ate the rice and chickpea curry and then went back to sleep. I probably slept for about 6 hours which isn't bad.

I watched Nothing Hill and a documentary on Whitney Houston (very sad).

Breakfast was bought round with about 90 minutes to go - a bit bizarre but if I will choose the Asian option...

We landed on time!

I went back through a sandwich at Boots and a cappuccino at Starbucks. Oh and lots of chocolate for the office!

The gate was called - they were trying to get people to put their wheely cases into the hold. I declined on the basis that I just wanted to get out of the airport at the other end.

The flight was full except for the seat next to me! I just started out of the windows!

Coming into land!

J picked me up and took me home!

It was a fabulous trip! I will do a round up over the next few days!

Thanks for reading!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 5 Nov 19 5:50 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A lovely last day and a smooth journey home. Glad you got a spare seat next to you and managed to get a good amount of sleep. Is O coming home at Christmas or staying out there?

Thanks for another great trip report Mel. Have you got any plans for future trips?
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

I don't normally read trip reports as I would never get anything done ! But I have read yours with interest as we are off to Hong Kong in 3 weeks only for a day as a stop off to NZ and the same coming home.
We have been before and spent 4 days there so was looking for different things to do.
Of all your places we have only done the tram, the big Buddha and Disney so you have given us lots of ideas .
You certainly packed it all in , and we'll done to you for doing most of it on your own. A great report and great photos .
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great last day and a good journey home

Joan
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

That’s a nice day at the gardens . Glad the flights back were ok and no hitches. What a fab trip it’s been. Really enjoyed following along !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely last day, the gardens look beautiful. I know what you mean about hanging around on the last day, it does seem as if you are just waiting to go home. I’m sure saying bye to O was difficult, I know I find it hard dropping Georgia back to university and she isn’t even 50 miles away. It must have been wonderful to see him and to see how happy he is there. Christmas holidays won’t be long now too 😀

Seems as if you had a good journey home, and managed to get a reasonable sleep too. We really do like the same films, Notting Hill is another favourite of mine 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for sharing, I’ve enjoyed reading along.
I’m hoping to go to HK Easter 2021, hope the protests die down before we would need to book flights next spring or hubby will be reluctant to commit.
Also want to make sure Disney castle is finished by then as we are unlikely to go back.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

So sad it’s the end of your trip, I’m sure it was wonderful to see O but very sad to say bye. I’m pleased he got his final pizza fix and a few other treats. Your travel home seemed to go smoothly. Thanks again for writing up your adventures, I really enjoy following all of your trip reports.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Have really enjoyed reading along; thank you for sharing your trip!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List