Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 5 Mar 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile Florida with back problems (slipped disc)

Has anybody ever been to florida with a slipped disc and done the rides there, or have you stayed away from them all?
I slipped a disc in my back and I'm worried that itll never be good enough or strong enough to go on rides!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
nth09
Apprentice Imagineer

nth09's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Not a slipped disc as such - but I do have back/neck issues - vertebrae that tend to lock up. I've found Im fine on everything with two exceptions - Space Mountain and Rock n Roller Coaster. I suspect it's the fact that they are in the dark and therefore it's more difficult to judge your movements. If it makes sense I feel I'm tense muscles at the wrong time. Everything else has been no problem at all.
nth09 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would be best to check your insurance also that you are covered.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Agree about insurance. We went when my husband had disc problems so we declared it to our insurance, which meant he wasn't covered if he aggrevated it, so he stayed off some rides. We went to the Universal parks, so he avoided my favourites - The Mummy and Dr Doom. He has since had an operation as it was a bulging disc (can't remember the full name) and now goes on everything, so there is hope. Just play it safe this time maybe. Hope it gets better for you

Edited at 01:52 PM.
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
Agree about insurance. We went when my husband had disc problems so we declared it to our insurance, which meant he wasn't covered if he aggrevated it, so he stayed off some rides. We went to the Universal parks, so he avoided my favourites - The Mummy and Dr Doom. He has since had an operation as it was a bulging disc (can't remember the full name) and now goes on everything, so there is hope. Just play it safe this time maybe. Hope it gets better for you
I think what would happen is that you wouldn't be covered for any rides that call out that you shouldn't ride with back problems. Many ride call out a load of conditions where the ride is not suitable - back/neck problems or heart problems etc.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I think what would happen is that you wouldn't be covered for any rides that call out that you shouldn't ride with back problems. Many ride call out a load of conditions where the ride is not suitable - back/neck problems or heart problems etc.
He wasn't covered for anything to do with his back as it was pre-existing, not just rides. But we were sensible for once, knowing we would be going back again soon, and it was uneventful back-wise.

No point in risking any health problem, especially if the ride calls it out. Hopefully the rides will be there next time :-)
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I have 2 bulging disks among other things and I am covered on my insurance but only if I follow any health restrictions advertised.

I will be avoiding any rides not suitable as if they state they are not suitable for those with back/neck problems and if you ride against advice and suffered any complictions/needed medical treatment you would not be covered.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
He wasn't covered for anything to do with his back as it was pre-existing, not just rides. But we were sensible for once, knowing we would be going back again soon, and it was uneventful back-wise.

No point in risking any health problem, especially if the ride calls it out. Hopefully the rides will be there next time :-)
I understood that, but most would be covered for pre-existing. I have back and neck problems and am fully covered. But I expect if I went on these rides (where advised not to), the insurance company wouldn't pay out in these conditions.
Old 5 Mar 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Well that's depressing haha! I'm a ride junkie and love them all 😭 to go there and not be able to go on all the ones I love would just be awful.

We have nothing booked at the moment but we know we will go again at some point
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeyHammer
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

I have a prolapsed disc (slipped disc) and I have been since it happened and did all major Disney rides (we didn’t go to Universal that year). I guess it really depends on how you are in yourself and what has happened since you did it. I had an injection which, touch wood, is holding up but I have had a couple of instances where it has flared up over the last 5 years albeit these have been from every day things rather than a rollercoaster. My GP agreed to give me some strong painkillers in case anything happened but that was all I had plus to do some exercises to make sure it was ok.
Fingers crossed it stays ok for me as we plan to go back next year. I hope it works out for you
MickeyHammer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List