Notices

View Poll Results: How much extra will you pay to go to Florida?
I won't pay any more 76 39.79%
I will pay up to 10% more 51 26.70%
I will pay up to 20% more 29 15.18%
I will pays up to 30% more 4 2.09%
I will pay up to 50% more 1 0.52%
I will pay any amount more if I can afford it 30 15.71%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I think there are four things to consider on this interesting thread, with the question being how much more would you be prepared to pay.

1. Yes some people will be hit very hard indeed by the events unfolding. The self employed, those who cannot now work etc. It may well be that for some the question is irrelevant at this time and until they can re- establish an income, yet alone a disposable one.

2. Others will as said, have gained from this through overtime.. or at least broken even as they are key workers.

3. Many will be in receipt of decent pensions, often as a top up to further employment income. They may be unaffected.

4. Some have their 2020 vacation money back in, or in the process of coming in to their bank accounts . They may thus have their 2020 money and their 2021 money also, come the time when they can spend.

I am fortunate on numbers 2,3 and 4. And I am not in any way being smug. Good people have been hard hit through absolutely no fault of their own.

Back to the question... regardless of any factor relating to money in my bank account, I believe the current prices for a direct travel Orlando vacation as too high and therefore I have no intention of going at 2020 prices, yet alone at a premium.
Everything has a value and I no longer feel that an Orlando vacation, theme park based, in School hols, Diect flights, represents value.
There are plenty of imho, better value USA alternatives and for us, that is where we will in future spend our money. Also, the overcrowding has killed it for me.

If I had a million pounds and a Big Mac meal cost £12 (I like Big Mac meals), then I would not buy one.. I can afford to drink in Costa and Starbucks, but do not.. because I do not think the coffee represents value for money, therefore I will not enter the premis.
Nail on the head. (Must be your military training kicking in again) Value for money (VFM ) is always key to me too. Where’s the value is the first question every time!
Your 4 point summary is quite correct and once again MH has started a very interesting and thought provoking thread.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it depends on a lot of factors so for me there isn’t a particular percentage difference I will pay but it just has to be whatever is right for us I suppose
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
But not a typical family though. If they were, we wouldn’t be discussing a worldwide recession including the U.K. and US.
What’s a typical family ... key workers include not just health staff and school staff but civil servants, supermarket staff, bin men , petrol station staff , farmers and agricultural workers , haulage industry employees , telecoms, electric, gas, water workers.

There’s an awful lot of people for whom furlough means nothing... and a lot of families where one person may be furloughed but the other is still working ... and in many cases far harder than usual.

Edited at 06:21 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Me & Hubbie both furloughed 😢£900 a month down😔 but I’m saving £20-30 a month with no COSTA trips 😉🙌
I wanted to take GS next year for first visit so don’t want cost to increase at all really, that’s if Hubbie still has a job so we can go 🇺🇸❤️🤔
Good luck to us all waiting for the DDP this week
Stay safe xx
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Probably wont spend that much more. Might force me to explore Europe more.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
But it was a different story after 911, parks were empty and Disney were offering some big discounts, especially on accommodation. That was only a small crisis compared to this. I would be very surprised if Disney don't do the same again.

Dave
People we’re scared to fly so they needed to be enticed with cheap fares. It will depend if people are still scared to travel due to the virus or if we have confidence it is now safe.

If it’s generally felt to be safe to travel then demand will be high and so will prices.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Yes I agree, sadly this will not be economically equal.
Life rarely is ... it is ironic that “you’ll end up stacking supermarket shelves if you don’t make something of yourself” is a phrase that’ll likely never be used again !

Edited at 10:32 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
People we’re scared to fly so they needed to be enticed with cheap fares. It will depend if people are still scared to travel due to the virus or if we have confidence it is now safe.

If it’s generally felt to be safe to travel then demand will be high and so will prices.
Good point because my wife would absolutely refuse to fly anywhere this year even if the flights and holiday were free.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post

It wasn't just the fear of flying, there was also an anthrax scare which kept many people away. I was there during this and Disney were on the brink of closing. I just can't see any way that when the parks open people will flood back. Time will tell I guess.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If we go back, I want to do a no park holiday and stay at the coast, here’s hoping for no hurricanes or red tide! It should cost less because it’s flights, Villa and food and a bit of shopping, kids try to add a few park days and then price will shoot up. They can save up and pay for their own park tickets and we will have to have a few days in Orlando and drop them off. Probably go back in 3 years plus and out of school hols yay!