Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 19 Apr 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BabyM View Post
This is my first trip since I have been diagnosed with type 1. I am very unsure what will happen to my bloods whilst there. I'm not on a pump sand have a nurses appointment to try and discuss everything. Wish Disney would provide carb info though.
Originally Posted by 4first timers View Post
Thanks all for the replies. this is one of my worries too as my sons bloods can be erratic here. Are you able to keep all testing equipment and glucose with you in the queues etc!,

Love SWAG! My holiday motto! I hadn't thought about having to change the cannula more often. He is on the animas vibe and as he is a water baby on holiday it works well. He is also on the freestyle but last year even with tegaderm we couldn't keep it on in the heat and with the pool!

me too. It's still frustrating that so many restaurants here in the U.K still don't provide the carb info! Hope all goes well on your first trip with type 1. Prepare to have more medical stuff to bring with you rather than clothes and toiletries
Can I totally echo Shani's comment about the Freestyle Libre? It made holiday at least a hundred times easier / better. It's an added cost, I know, but having spent so much on the holiday itself it was definitely worth the investment. Like Tilly says, levels can be quite unpredictable and it can be harder recognising hypos early enough, for various reasons. Libre was fantastic for being able to keep a constant (but unintrusive) eye on it. I'm also in the SWAG club
Old 19 Apr 17, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We had trouble keeping the Libre on when we went on holiday to Cyprus, so I was worried about the Dexcom when we went to Florida last September. My son used an Adidas arm band - kind of like thick swimming costume material - over the dex each time he went swimming, and when he dried off I'd put new rocktape on to keep it stuck on, and the sensor lasted the whole holiday (and more - about 23 days total, I think that one lasted). If you can make it work it's definitely worth it! I can't seem to find any of the arm bands for sale now though, but I got it from Sports Direct. They were only a couple of £'s too.

Ah, found them! sportsdirect/adidas-g...lcode=81712530
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside

Edited at 10:40 PM.
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

I've been type 1 for 37 years, on a pump for 7, been to us 5 times with pump and 9 times in total and never had any problems, do you accurately card count all the time at home, if you go out for a meal etc, I certainly don't, have a good guesstimate, check bm regularly and give a bolus if needed, he will be fine
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mummymagic
Earning More Ears

Mobile

I'd be very interested to hear if you've had any luck getting any info from Disney regarding this - my son isn't diabetic but has complex epilepsy and we are undergoing a 2 year ketogenic dietary therapy programme and will still be on it when we go next August - he's allowed 6g of carbs 3 times a day but we also have to ensure he has a lot of fat!
Mummymagic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mlbolger
Very Serious Dibber

Hi, no carbs in Disney is a real pain. If you are eating offsite download an app called healthy Dining. App is a blue square with the letters LF in white capitals on it. We use it loads while there. All your main U.S. Restaurants are on there with full nutritional details on one app. Sarah. X

Oct04 Villa Hampton Lakes, Nov05 QII Int Drive
Feb 08, Nov 09, Nov 10 Villa Emerald Isles
Oct 12 Disney Beach Club
Nov 13 Carribean Beach
Nov 15 Wilderness Lodge
mlbolger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ch1ps
Imagineer

ch1ps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by 4first timers View Post
Thanks all for the replies. this is one of my worries too as my sons bloods can be erratic here. Are you able to keep all testing equipment and glucose with you in the queues etc!,

In Disney yes you can keep on you. At Universal and IoA depends on the ride. Some are no bags, so check out the website, you'll have to put stuff in lockers. You could keep a small pack of sweets in your pocket I suppose. Also on the Hulk (and other coasters that use magnets), I disconnect the pump apparently the magnets might interrupt the delivery - or over deliver.
Old 21 Apr 17, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

We asked Disney a few months ago re' carbs and got a very generic answer. No biggie, it's always a educated guess anyway if you haven't got the packet in front of you whether at home or away.

DD is 7 and will have been dx 15m when we go in Aug. Alba is on a pump with Libre. My main concerns are removing pump for water rides/splash areas as it isn't waterproof as the carbs/insulin part will be taking on a moment by moment basis with the usual rules likely going by the wayside as she's adjust to the heat and activity. We are very pro-active at making our own judgement calls and then adjustments to dose and ratios and reacting to problems quickly so we're not concerned (DH is also diabetic so we weren't new to it when DD was dx).

All we can do is make our best call each time and keep checking BG (thank god for the Libre!)