Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 4 Mar 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
fifinefairy
Excited about Disney

Just found out breakfast in hotel not included - help!

I've just booked New York Hotel for 2 nights which included free half board. I upgraded to full board. I didn't realise until I started to book restaurants that breakfast in the hotel is not included and we need to eat at counter service restaurants in the park - which one will only be confirmed on arrival.

I am now very anxious as I am travelling with a disabled young man who also has autism as well as being registered blind and every element needs to be planned. Rocking up and finding out where we will be eating is going to be tricky and likely to cause severe difficulites.

I've tried talking to DLP directly and even offered to pay extra to eat at the hotel but they said there was nothing they could do.

Can anyone put my mind at rest?
fifinefairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
First - don't panic!

You will find it difficult to get anything written down as they seem to change the system all the time at the moment. However, I gather that right now, you can use the voucher at En Coulisse in the Studios only - nowhere in the Disneyland Park. Yes, this is very stupid.

Until recently you have also been able to use it at New York Style Sandwiches in the Village, and also at the bar in your hotel. I don't know if those are still the case.

For your voucher you get:

1 hot drink
1 juice
1 pastry

At En Coulisse you can also have either a roll, butter and jam, or an 'omelette burger' (omelette in a burger bun with bacon and cheese).

However, I think your best option would be to use the voucher in part payment for breakfast at your hotel. This is not guaranteed but to be honest, if you turn up when it's quiet (before 7.30) I can't see them turning you away. They can't prebook this but you can do it on the day.

I don't know how much extra you would need to pay. I know at Newport Bay it was 13 Euros each on top of your voucher. Obviously that's a lot but the breakfast options were great - all the usual hot stuff plus cheeses, meats, breads, fruit, yoghurt, pancakes and waffles. I would expect HNY to be much the same.

If you eat a big breakfast this would be worth it - we tend to do that and then not bother with lunch as we aren't hungry again until evening. However, if you only want something small, it's a lot of money to pay.

The other option would be to not bother with the voucher, and just go to either Starbucks in the Village or Earl of Sandwich in the morning before you go into the parks.

Edited to add: just realised you have upgraded to full board. We did this last time, and to be honest we couldn't have eaten a full breakfast as well as a restaurant lunch and a restaurant dinner. Way too much food as well as too much time out of our day.

So, perhaps best to just grab something from Starbucks or EoS, or even take something with you such as porridge pots or cereal bars. Or you could go to Main Street Bakery for a muffin or pastry with a coffee.

Alternatively you could ask how much it is to upgrade to Empire State level, as then you would have breakfast included. It might be very expensive, but then you could ask to go back to half board instead of full board as you would not need a big lunch and a big dinner. If you're paying to upgrade to Empire State, then they should be OK to do this, because in the end they are getting more money from you.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14

Edited at 11:40 AM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
kenville
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Was it clear at the time you booked that full board still did not include breakfast in the hotel? If not, I would complain and keep complaining. In most people’s mind full board will include breakfast in the hotel.
kenville is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

With lunch included I'd probably breakfast in the room on something easy and light I'd brought with me, certainly the first day and suss it out from there but yes with lunch and dinner included it may not be an issue. I do understand your frustration though as I have ason with ASD and understand how important knowing in advance how things work is.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kenville View Post
Was it clear at the time you booked that full board still did not include breakfast in the hotel? If not, I would complain and keep complaining. In most people’s mind full board will include breakfast in the hotel.
then again, "full board" outside of DLP usually means all your main meals at your own hotel, and thats certainly not the case at DLP onsite hotels (and most people would be unhappy if it was).

OP I'd go with Gill's suggestion for breakfast, you make your own fixed plan ahead of time (so breakfast bars, or you'll visit Earl of Sandwich each morning etc etc) to alleviate any issues you may have with your travelling companion's needs. Thats the important thing in my opinion.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kenville
slightly serious Dibber

I think it’s reasonable to expect that breakfast on full board would be something you don’t have to traipse out for first thing in the morning, especially with young children or those with additonal needs. Personally I think this offer is a bad move by whoever thought it up. A better alternative would be a quick service lunch rather than breakfast.

Gill’s advice is good. I’m just saying the full board plan may have been unclear and we met a few people who felt caught out by it. It does very much depend on the wording used at the time of booking. When we booked there was no mention of quick service breakfast in the full board upgrade but I think they have changed the wording recently.

Edited at 12:58 PM.
kenville is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

I don't know if this is an option for you but we decided to stay club level at HNY for our trip in September. (We booked without the dining plan so i'm not sure how much difference that makes in price). With 4 of us in the room it didn't work out much more than it would've to buy breakfast every day and with club level you get the hot breakfast at the hotel included + other benefits.

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fifinefairy
Excited about Disney

Thank you everyone for responding.

I am really upset about this. When I was booking it just stated that the booking included half board (breakfast and either lunch or dinner) no mention of breakfast not being in the hotel. It was only when I went to the dinning plan to see which restaurants we could eat in that I saw a tiny (1) next to breakfast and realised the breakfast was off site.

I feel completely duped - who has ever heard of or gone to a hotel where breakfast is included and had to go to a completely different location?! Particularly as you are staying at a Disney Hotel to take advantage of a EMH but then find you have to trek somewhere else first.

I am going to complain to trading standards as the site is a UK site and the information is misleading.
fifinefairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Not to be "that guy", but its stated very clearly on the offer page: holidays.disneylandparis.co.u...isneyland.html

dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
fifinefairy
Excited about Disney

It doesn't quite look like that on my booking process. I rechecked before calling DLP and it does say counter service breakfast in Disney parks but it doesn't state anywhere until after you book and receive your confirmation that it is limited to a specific counter and you won't find out which one until you arrive.

Its a shame that these companies expect us all to be quasi lawyers before booking!