Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Aug 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyloverz
Imagineer

Disneyloverz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My husband always really suffered with this.

He swears by 'earplanes' ear plugs and takes sudafed tablets.
Many Happy Returns INDEX - May/June 2023
Disneyloverz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Party of 5
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Party of 5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Decongestant and ear planes should help but as Pookie says make sure they go in before the door shuts and keep them in till you’re off the plane too. DH suffers really badly, his ears are normally still painful 2 days after the flight but last year he actually used ear planes properly and it made a big difference!
Thank you, I'll make sure she puts them in as soon as we sit down. Your husband sounds like he suffers really badly, luckily my daughter's pain is normally gone within a few minutes of doors opening. She's always suffered with blocked ears and overproduction of wax so it must all be related. I think it's the pain running down her jaw that is worse than the ears but I assume it must all be connected with the air pressure as she only ever gets it when on a plane descending.
Party of 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

MY doctor advised all of the above but also get her to hold her nose and blow it (much like you do with ears popping)
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Not sure if this is what you guys are doing or not, but if you follow the instructions for Earplanes you don’t wear them the entire flight - that would drive me nuts having them in that long! You put them in before take off and take them out about half an hour to an hour after you take off as you should be at ‘full pressure’ in the cabin by then with enough time for them to have equalised the pressure in your ears slower. When descending, put them in before you start to descend and leave them in for about 10 minutes after the cabin doors are open just to give them time.

How they work is by adjusting the pressure change slower than is happening around you as the sensitivity that causes the pain is the more sudden change in the pressures. So when they’ve done their job (i.e. they’ve done equalising the pressure difference) there’s no need to keep them in as the pressure has equalised between what is the atmospheric pressure and the pressure behind them in your ears.

I’ve suffered badly with ear pain - never taking off (so never bother wearing them then) but have had awful crippling pain on a long drawn out staged descent. Earplanes definitely help me and I wouldn’t fly without them now.

Didn’t know about anti-histamines helping although this time of year I’m taking them daily anyway for hay fever.

Dave

Edited at 10:59 PM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
princess1706
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
My DD suffers really badly on every flight, we have to have a combined approach - decongestant painkillers an hour before take off and landing, chewing menthol chewing gum, ear-planes, a menthol nasal inhaler.
I second all of the above;I had ear surgery in November and flew in May following the above and worked a treat 😊
princess1706 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

I usually take regular ibuprofen to lower the inflammation and dull the pain seems to work for me. had an ear infection years ago from swimming took months to clear, only affects one ear but hurts like mad on flights
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi

I suffered horrendously on my first ever flight - the pain was excruciating and I couldn’t hear properly for hours after, so I sympathise. I agree with the decongestant advice, but I do find they dehydrate me even more than normal on a flight, so you may just want to be aware of that. On a positive note, I have never experienced such severe pain again except for when I had a cold, so it may not be something that happens every time hopefully 🤞🏻. Bless her, I hope she’s ok
Old 2 Aug 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DoubleDisney
Trainee Dibber

I suffered really badly for years but now swear by the following:
Before take off (while on plane) take a decongestant tablet.
Then use Octravine nasal spray in both nostrils.
Suck at least one Jakemans (I like the lemon ones!)
Repeat when just before starting to land.
That all really helps on its own.
I also swear by my ‘ear popper’ from Boots. It’s expensive at £99 but work really well. I use it year round to sort the pressure in my ears if they feel blocked but use it religiously twice a day in run up to flying.
Hope you get sorted!

Edited at 11:19 PM.
DoubleDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Another sufferer here. Several years ago I spent my entire 3 week holiday in Florida with partial hearing and pain from the flight so now I’m prepared...

Decongestant tablet prior to the flight, decongestant nasal stick to sniff during flight (kind you buy for a blocked nose), earplanes for take off and landing and boiled sweets. I also use the First Defence nasal spray a few days leading up to the flight as it’s supposed to help ward off colds. So far so good.

I hope some of the tips you’ve been given help your dd
Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Party of 5
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Party of 5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thank you dibbers, I really do appreciate all of your helpful tips and advice. I think we now definitely have a plan of action and explaining to my daughter last night about all the lovely comments on here has made her feel so much happier about flying this time.
I'm so glad we have this site- it's great how we can all help each other with our Florida holidays!
Party of 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List