Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Dec 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Virgin refunds

Just wondering if everyone who booked with Virgin for 2020 got there refunds ?
Just looking at flights for next year and don't know if to risk booking with or go for B A.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Just wondering if everyone who booked with Virgin for 2020 got there refunds ?
Just looking at flights for next year and don't know if to risk booking with or go for B A.
If you go on Facebook and look up the Virgin holiday refunds group, then you will get a much more accurate picture of what is going on and the exasperation of some of those still waiting.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:18 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

I know a lot of dibbers had problems and I wondered if they all got sorted eventually. I would be flying from Manchester and there would be 10 of us altogether. Virgin are the only ones flying direct, but is it worth the the risk? If it was just me and DH I would risk it, but with so many of us, I'm not so sure and maybe indirect with B.A. would be the sensible choice.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
leahamy
Excited about Disney

Our September Virgin flights were cancelled 15/07 and our refund was received 31/10. We had already rebooked with BA for 2021.
leahamy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can't speak for everyone but I do know that they didn't have too much of a positive DIBB "press" between March and around September although I think the posts have eased up a bit now.

Our mid-April flight was cancelled on 5 April and I lodged a refund request that day. Took them around 125 days to refund. BA cancelled our November flights and they took around 4 weeks to refund although some Dibbers say they had a result from BA in a couple of days.

It was obvious why VA were tardy with refunds - a slight cash flow problem but to be honest but I'd be happy to book with them again if the price is right. Waiting to book next Nov/Dec but we must wait a while for them to be announced.

They're both tin tubes that hopefully get you across the Atlantic safely, in reasonable comfort and reasonably on time so only £££ counts for us. We're also roughly equidistant from LHR and MAN so we have the choice.

Mick
Old 4 Dec 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

My concern with Virgin would lay in the fact that at the time of their bail out/ whatever they wanted to call it, they made it clear that this would solve their problems till August. We are now in December with no immediate prospect of VA or anybody else flying with anything approaching normality into Easter.

Yes, you can use a Credit card. Yes you can have ABTA and ATOL protection. This would suit me fine were I booking a package or near to it. Yes, Virgin have a monopoly on Manchester to Orlando.

I book multi centre, multi car hire vacations with further, internal flights through a dozen or more suppliers. I prefer not to take a risk on the future solvency of Virgin. Happens that flying out of a preferred start point of LHR, I can take my pick of BA, American, Delta, United and Virgin.
Also, with other airlines, they refund fast and therefore your money is back in your hands, enabling you to make alternative arrangements. With Virgin, you need to be very, very patient.

We’re I in your situation, particularly with so many other people’s money? I would travel down and fly out of LHR with a more reputable operator. A night in the prem inn at Bath Road is very much a family tradition with us and we treat it as part of the vacation. With 10 of you, it could be great fun.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:26 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I had a holiday to Thailand with VH due to depart on 4th April and received my money months later (maybe July). I didn't really chase or stress about it as I knew I had s75 with my credit card and had other issues to worry about.

We fly from Manchester too so limited in choice. I would 100% book again (with a credit card as added protection) rather than travel or go indirect.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

So Virgin refunded us eventually around the 120 day marker. We were one of the first flights to be affected.

Have they acted honourably? No. Would I book with them again? Yes. Their flexible booking policy on flight only is IMO very good if your dates fall within.

Anyone not booking such flights on a credit card right now is taking a risk. We're living in crazy times. I'm delighted Virign survived and look forward to my next trip with them.

As Mick says its a tin tube... does what it says on the tin. If Ronseal was airline lol. Anyways no reason to not book. Section 75 cover exists and provides security. All our other bookings would be fully refundable anyway.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Shutterbug
Excited about Disney

I got my refund ok, yes it took a while, booked Jan 2020, flight cancelled Sept and I got the refund early November. I would book with them again only reason I haven't is because 2021 november flights not out and I got a good package with Virgin Hols instead. And i'm a manchester flyer- no way do I want the hassle of having extra days before and after to fly from Gatwick/Heathrow but whats good for us as a couple might not suit others.
Shutterbug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, I got my refund 4 weeks after cancellation which I was quite happy with.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List