Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Dec 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Blueste View Post
That is a step in the right direction. With all the current changes/limitations you encountered during your research for this years edition you must have more than once thought "who from the UK would want to experience this"?
With Universal parks hitting capacity seems like many want to experience it even thought its's different to other years.

I have never bought the book as I don't visit WDW and it always seemed geared to the 4 parks. Thanks for sharing the photo of the first edition Simon.

Old 15 Dec 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

Arggg Amazon has just cancelled my pre order for it 🤞🏻It comes into stock before we go in July. It a tradition to read it before each trip 😂
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 04:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blueste View Post
That is a step in the right direction. With all the current changes/limitations you encountered during your research for this years edition you must have more than once thought "who from the UK would want to experience this"?
When they started canceling much of the live entertainment, especially in Epcot, we definitely thought this could be a tipping point in stopping people from booking in the short-term. Since then, and with a tentative return for the fireworks shows (and the fact Disney is continuing to build the new Harmonious show in Epcot), it feels much more like 2021 will be "business as usual," with nearly all the key elements back in place. It might not be until the summer, but Disney will move heaven and earth to make sure WDW's 50th anniversary is a big, big draw.
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 04:44 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
With Universal parks hitting capacity seems like many want to experience it even thought its's different to other years.

I have never bought the book as I don't visit WDW and it always seemed geared to the 4 parks. Thanks for sharing the photo of the first edition Simon.
There's no doubt both Disney and Universal have been a very different experience during the pandemic-hit months, albeit certainly not all of it negative. We have really enjoyed seeing Disney's characters out and about in new situations, for example. But we do really miss the mainstream Christmas events like the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. In recent weeks, the crowds have been back (although you have to remember the parks are still at only around 35% capacity), and it has felt more seasonal.

Having said all that, with no international visitors here, it's a moot point anyway. We think (hope!) 2021 will feel back to normal for the most part.

PS: WDW is only 1 chapter in 13 in the Brit Guide
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 04:46 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney45 View Post
Arggg Amazon has just cancelled my pre order for it 🤞🏻It comes into stock before we go in July. It a tradition to read it before each trip 😂
OK, sounds like it's time for another email to Distribution. This really shouldn't be happening at this time of year
Old 16 Dec 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jordanski
Excited about Disney

Just went into amazon and says currently unavailable we don't know when or if we will have it. On waterstones it says out of stock
Old 16 Dec 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Funnily enough I came across the 2005 edition last night whilst clearing a box of vhs and cassette tapes that has been sat in the back of a cupboard for years awaiting digitisation/binning, it was alongside a free serve disk!
Old 17 Dec 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Funnily enough I came across the 2005 edition last night whilst clearing a box of vhs and cassette tapes that has been sat in the back of a cupboard for years awaiting digitisation/binning, it was alongside a free serve disk!
Love it! Thankfully, the Brit Guide is still in vintage condition (unlike cassette tapes! ).
Old 17 Dec 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jordanski View Post
Just went into amazon and says currently unavailable we don't know when or if we will have it. On waterstones it says out of stock
I think we've finally got to the bottom of the problem right now, and it's two-fold.

First, bookstores are not stocking travel guides, mainly because they believe there's no market for them. With virtually no-one travelling internationally (and no UK-US flights of any significance), the book trade is basically in stasis until we have a clear idea of what's happening, and when we'll be going to places like Florida again. Despite us pointing out to them that people ARE, actually, booking for 2021, and they DO need guidebooks to help inform their decisions, shops like Smith's, Waterstones and the others simply don't believe it. They don't see any great demand, hence they won't buy and/or stock them.

Online is a slightly different story, but there we run into different problems with Amazon.co.uk. Basically, Amazon is run largely automatically for many publishers. They upload their products to the system and things virtually run themselves. Until the system develops glitches. In which case, the publishers tries, and tries (in vain) to contact Amazon to get these problems corrected. Currently, the problems include having the wrong publishing date, the wrong 'Look Inside' info and the wrong data for annual titles. Our publisher has been trying to find an actual human contact at Amazon to correct this for 3 MONTHS, and still hasn't been able to get a satisfactory answer. Its maddening.

In short, though, the simple answer lies with the book trade. To them, No Current Travel = No Books for Sale. Until we can convince them otherwise, we are looking at Feb/Mar (at the earliest) before they start stocking travel books again
Old 17 Dec 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Espman1
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I think we've finally got to the bottom of the problem right now, and it's two-fold.

First, bookstores are not stocking travel guides, mainly because they believe there's no market for them. With virtually no-one travelling internationally (and no UK-US flights of any significance), the book trade is basically in stasis until we have a clear idea of what's happening, and when we'll be going to places like Florida again. Despite us pointing out to them that people ARE, actually, booking for 2021, and they DO need guidebooks to help inform their decisions, shops like Smith's, Waterstones and the others simply don't believe it. They don't see any great demand, hence they won't buy and/or stock them.

Online is a slightly different story, but there we run into different problems with Amazon.co.uk. Basically, Amazon is run largely automatically for many publishers. They upload their products to the system and things virtually run themselves. Until the system develops glitches. In which case, the publishers tries, and tries (in vain) to contact Amazon to get these problems corrected. Currently, the problems include having the wrong publishing date, the wrong 'Look Inside' info and the wrong data for annual titles. Our publisher has been trying to find an actual human contact at Amazon to correct this for 3 MONTHS, and still hasn't been able to get a satisfactory answer. Its maddening.

In short, though, the simple answer lies with the book trade. To them, No Current Travel = No Books for Sale. Until we can convince them otherwise, we are looking at Feb/Mar (at the earliest) before they start stocking travel books again
Hi Simon,

I can see that Amazon now has a kindle version available for download.

I would prefer a physical copy but if the kindle copy is correct then I will get that in the mean time.

Do you know if the copy is correct?

Thanks
Espman1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread